• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Pike River is now open below the dam and out as far as Pike Bay with an open channel also open to about half way to Duffy Island!

I am starting to see a few fish surfacing in the river in the evening, (probably suckers).

The fish traps are ready to be put out as far as I can tell. Won't be long now!

I will keep you posted on the progress there.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 4

Thanks as usual Cliff.

Reading about the hatchery is spring ritual, like seeing the trees bud and the birds return.

You would never know it's spring the way the snow is coming down right now. ')

"Ace"

14 hours ago, guideman said:

You would never know it's spring the way the snow is coming down right now. ')

"Ace"

:( There is about 3" on my deck already!

:( Make that 6" this morning! :tired:

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

It's snowing again. Where is this thing called spring?

"Ace"

"It's just fishing man"

I saw the Hatchery crew working over there today. Getting ready I guess!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 3

SA,

There is usually a very good sucker run at the hatchery.

It looks like they will probably get the nets in soon enough to get a good catch again this spring!

Cliff

Just returned from checking the progress at the hatchery.

They dropped the trap nets for the first time a couple of hours ago!

Said that they checked the holding net after about 1/2 hour and already had 3 or 4 walleyes in it!

River water is only about 34 degrees yet.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Stopped at the hatchery this morning again.

They were milking the very first walleyes for the season!

So far they have netted and sold around 1,700 pounds of suckers.

They have been averaging around 400# to 800# of suckers per day now.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

The walleye run is in full force now.

There are already about 300 quarts of eggs in the batteries and that does not include today's take!

Lots of big fish in the traps this morning. Even the males were larger then normal I think!

_____________________________________________________________________Talked to the Hatchery guys a few minutes ago and they think that tomorrow may be their last day of netting!

Cliff

Edited by Cliff Wagenbach
  • Thumbs Up 2

Still netting over here as well, I talked to somebody that's on Little Cutfoot yesterday & they said that they were still manning the nets.

The walleye egg take is over already at the Pike River Hatchery!

They harvested around 700 quarts of eggs.

They will be pulling the nets tomorrow.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 3

I talked to one of the DNR crew at the Y today and he said it was the fastest egg take he's ever done.  Big numbers of 14 to 16" fish in Pike bay.  Sounds like good news for Walleye fishermen this season.

"Ace"

"It's just fishing man"

• Thumbs Up 2

• 11 months later...

I saw on the lake association page that they, the lake association, were going to start selling suckers on Monday.

I think that they put the trap nets in yesterday!

Should be fish in the trap this morning! They are probably not ready to spawn yet but it will not be long!

Cliff

I talked to a DNR guy at the y store this morning and he said they were operational but things would really get going later this week. I'll be bringing the kids by sometime today probably just to check it out.

Today was the first day of the sucker sales at the hatchery.

They had around 1,400 pounds in the trap yesterday. I saw quite a few trucks there this morning.

They also had caught around 600 smaller male walleyes yesterday!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

darn that gives a fella hope!  Thanks for sharing dgdg

Edited by Wheres_Walter

• 2 weeks later...

The video shown in the link posted above shows most of the fish they're handling going back because they're not ready or too green. The video was from 4/14 so I would bet they are done as that was 1 1/2 weeks ago. Cutfoot was done in less than a week. Cliff will be able to tell you for sure when then finished but I'd guess they were done by the end of last week.:2c: 

Yes, they are all done at the hatchery. Finished up two weeks ago this Saturday (4/15). Just waiting for eggs to ripen and hatch to go back out to area water bodies.

• Thumbs Up 1

They should not be  going  back to area waters or traded to  other dnr  districts they should go right back into LAKE VERMILLION !!!  Don't ya think its time the dnr   should start to listen  to the paying public, us ! [trappers, hunters,  fisherpeople ,boaters and snowmobilers ]  :eek:

Creel/lake surveys show Vermilion is very healthy and the DNR continues to use new technology.  It's only going to get better.  If we listened to arm-chair QB's, fishing would be as shi#TY as the West side. :)

• Thumbs Up 2