• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First Timer Up In May

Hey guys, going up with a couple buddies in May for the first time. I've never fished Voyageurs before, but I do have plenty of experience on Canadian Shield lakes. The guys I'm with aren't super hardcore fishermen, so unless the walleyes are really popping (hopefully they are, don't get me wrong), we'll probably focus on northern and bass. Any advice other than hitting every rocky/weedy structure adjacent to deep water? Which lakes would you recommend? We're staying on Crane. Two other fish I'd like to check out are the crappies and the lakers. I've heard there's pretty good speck fishing up there, but everyone's pretty tight-lipped about it, understandably. Even just "Sandy Point is better than Namakan" would be helpful for narrowing it down. And as far as the trout go, I really want to try to get the boat into Lac La Croix and chase early season trout. I figure they should be pretty shallow in mid-May? I've done very little laker fishing before, so I could really use some advice about the fish, and the lake. Will the boat portages be open for Opener? How far east is that bay that marks the restriction for motorized boats? Should I just focus on main-lake rocky points and fish them like bass/northern? Or look for schools of baitfish in adjacent open water, and target around those schools? Also, is it worth it getting the remote access border pass thingy to fish on the Canadian side? I'm not too worried about the added costs, just wondering if the fishing is worth the paperwork. And can I do all that on the spot at the post in Crane Lake, or should I get it set up through the internet/mail beforehand? Thanks guys, I appreciate any and all advice/tips you guys have for me! For the record, we don't plan on keeping more than we can eat during a few shore lunches, thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't claim to be an expert and am not a "local" but have spent time there (Crane/SP/Namakan) over the last 20 years so here are a few answers/opinions for you:

East end of Namakan where the river comes in as well as Sand Point are my favorites that time of year, specifically Redhorse Bay and Clearwater Bay, for Walleyes and Smallmouth, etc. 

With that said, yes you should get all of the "thingys" required to fish the Canadian side.  Do it all in advance of your trip, RABC via Mail, license via Web.  There is no place to do it there conveniently after you arrive.

Based on wind/weather/water temps/etc. you really limit your options if you can only fish one half of Sand Point or Namakan (especially if you want to chase Lake Trout, more on that below.)  

Rules on Border Crossing can be a bit confusing because there is a customs station on Sand Point so some will tell you the RABC is no good and you have to check in and out there each day. Search this forum for more info and make your own call on the rules.

My 2 cents...with my US Passport, a RABC, and both a MN and ON fishing license in the boat I have been checked multiple times on both sides and have never had an issue....your experience may differ...there is always that one CO.

Lake Trout - One of my favorites...as for LLC/Portages/etc. that is an awesome trip but it will consume a full day and can be a bit hairy based on water levels/current/etc. so plan accordingly.  In May you can troll for Lakers just like you would Walleyes in the spring, with stick baits on shore/rock flats in 10-12 FOW with good luck.  Baitfish is always a key.

There is another option for Lake Trout if you are staying on Crane.  David lake is accessible by water at the east end of Clearwater Bay on Sand Point.  There are a few challenges getting in there but it is accessible.

Glad to share some info so you can enjoy it like my family and I have.

Mike

Edited by G I Mike

Mike, thanks for the info! For the smallmouth, would you just hit anything that looks rocky? Main lake stuff? Back in the bays? We're going to get our RABCs so we can fish the Canadian sides of the lakes. Part of the reason we want to do Lac La Croix is just to check out that boat portage, so I think we'll probably hit it. I've never really fished for the lakers, but I'm thinking kind of like the smallies, fishing rocky structure adjacent to deep water? Is David Lake extremely deep or something? I see it's not mapped, but I'd love to know more about the lake. 

TMF,

In May finding fish is all about water temp so yes, back bays. Look for mud or sand bottom. This will warm faster than rocks and attract the baitfish / fish.  Walleyes are (normally) done spawning and staging to move out.  Smallies have not spawned and are staging to move in.  You will typically catch both species in the same areas along with pike.  Wind blowing into shore can help, but rocks are not critical.  In May I am very rarely fishing more than 10 ft of water and most of my fish will come in 6-8ft because that is the warmest water in the system. My best days have been pitching jigs and plastics into 2-3 FOW along weed edges.

Structure adjacent to deep water really doesn't come into play until the water temps stabilize in the system, typically mid june?

My normal program:  Troll shorelines with a #10 Husky Jerk in Blue/Orange or Black/Gold in 6-8 Ft of water. If I catch a fish I turn around and troll back through the same spot a few times.  If I catch another then I will stop and fan cast Husky Jerks or Jig/plastics in that area.  If I don't catch another then I move on.  Great way to cover water and find schools of fish.

Yes, David Lake is 100+ Ft Deep.

• 4 weeks later...

Mike, thanks again for all the tips. So basically, to re-iterate (because I've got a little cabin fever by now regarding the trip, and a guy can only re-organize his tackle trays so many times!), my general game plan is to work my way down SP and Namakan, and just try every bay I come across, like Steges, Browns, Swanson, and Hammer, and I'm going to ignore the main lake stuff, unless it's still cool enough that the fish haven't entered the bays yet, which I doubt. Are weed lines fairly easy to find on the lake? I ask in case the guys get a hankering for some big pike. Thanks again for the info!

Yes, solid plan.  If your license/permit allows I recommend the Canadian side in the spring so Clearwater Bay, Redhorse Bay (River), and East Namakan/Namakan River areas.

Most of the weed lines are pretty obvious because they are all in less than 6 or 7 ft of water.  Very rarely will you find weeds deeper than that on these lakes.   Have fun.

tmf- it has been my experience on these lakes that smallies of size tend to prefer rocks to weed lines ( rock piles, reefs,shore lines and what have you. of course adjacent to weeds is even better. no to say that they are not in the weeds but i have pulled more from rocky structure.

Mike, unfortunately one of our guys doesn't have a passport, so we're SOL on the Canadian stuff! Shame too, because I was looking forward to fishing it. Good to know on shallow weeds, thanks for the tip! And I appreciate the tip as well fatfinger, the plan is to look for rocky crap on the shore, and fish the structure in front/adjacent to it. Thanks again guys.