• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pouring & painting jigs

Naturboy

It's that time of year, put the shovels away (mistake) with the ice gear and took out a few jig molds and the paint. I saw a new to me jig used for smallmouth with a strip of black rabbit fur I need to try, along with rebuilding my supply of walleye hair jigs. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

Nice work Paul. When did you start tying hair jigs? Always knew you were a smelter, but when did you start tying hair jigs?

I'll buy some of those plain swimming heads in glow red and green, in 1/8th & 1/4 oz. for da' chain.

Natureboy, do you have a cast for "erie" style stand up jigs?

I haven't found one around here,  just curious?

I haven't found a good Glow green and red paint. I do have green and red just not glow. 

I do have a stand-up mold for 1/8 & 1/4 oz. not sure if it's what your lookin for?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the kind I use but it just doesn't glow very well in my opinion. The white works fantastic but the others not so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Naturboy, or anyone else who ties bunny jigs locally if you would contact me I'd love to buy some.  

Lots of hair but always wanted to try the strips as well, thanks, Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

I have red power paint I'm going to sell, I have been using hot glow pink.  NB, how did you do your cups?

8 hours ago, jigginjim said:

how did you do your cups?

Hard to explain on here but I got the idea off you tube. I used rubber cement to glue a piece of paper grocery bag to the bottom of the cups to act as a air filter. A needle valve to regulate the air flow from a aireator so the powder paint is just a slow boil. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Naturboy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks I like your idea. I'm going to to change my cup system, has really worked that well. but good enough for the jigs I make.

I have wanted to get into casting my own jigs but can not find anywhere to pick up the needed things or even figure out what is needed. Anyone have info to help me get started. not to sound dumb but what's the PVC cups for and why do you need to add air to powder paints. Like I said I have never tried to cast my own jigs. Any info would be awesome feel free to PM me or post on here maybe there are others interested in making their own. Again thank you very much. 

Almost any online tackle craft store will have all you need. Given your location that's the way I'd go. 

The purpose for the air cups is that you use less powder paint than just sticking a hot jog head into the jar of paint and when it comes time to baking the jig heads way less drips on the heads. Also always clean the hook eyes before baking, lots easier.