• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, it's Friday, March 18th.  It looked like the warm weather this past week was going to put an end to my favorite time of the year to ice fish, but it hasn't ended. 

Last night temperatures dipped into the mid 20's and tonight we'll be be seeing temps around 20.  I bet tomorrow morning a guy will have to use an auger to reopen holes. 

Yep, I'm crazy...crazy about fishing.  Get your waders on, fill a 5 gallon bucket with everything you need, and get out for the last weekend.  When you wade out to the ice and crawl on, I bet you tell yourself, I should've been doing this in the past.  It's awesome to be alive! 

Tight lines!

Edited by trebormorgan
  • Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, trebormorgan said:

Well, it's Friday, March 18th.  It looked like the warm weather this past week was going to put an end to my favorite time of the year to ice fish, but it hasn't ended. 

Last night temperatures dipped into the mid 20's and tonight we'll be be seeing temps around 20.  I bet tomorrow morning a guy will have to use an auger to reopen holes. 

Yep, I'm crazy...crazy about fishing.  Get your waders on, fill a 5 gallon bucket with everything you need, and get out for the last weekend.  When you wade out to the ice and crawl on, I bet you tell yourself, I should've been doing this in the past.  It's awesome to be alive! 

Tight lines!

Be safe (if it is even possible right know) my friend!!!

I will gladly NOT be joining you all this weekend, less pressure for you.

Good luck, and seriously, do everything you can to stay safe.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like your style.. Fearless for those slab crappies.. I'm all in for the weekend.. I'm bringing two 5gl pails chest waders and my lucky slab jigs.. You sound pretty crazy. Crazy for fishin.. I'll be out on Hubert in the am.. Pounded em last night 6 ft water... Good luck and be safe..

Was in the area last Friday-Sunday. I would advise to stay off what little ice is left out there. By Sunday we wouldn't fish ice that was good on Friday. It deteriorated fast over the weekend; can't imagine this weeks rain and wet snow helped matters.

Go to Morey's instead. 

• Thumbs Up 2

We're making ice tonight boys.  If it wasDecember you'd be in your garage preparing your gear. It's kind of like how people where t-shirts this time of year.  If it was October/November they'd be wearing hats, gloves, and parkas.  Just adifference in the season lens that's looked through.

For real though, the concerns are valid and much appreciated.  Tomorrow morning during the walk across the lake we'll be wearing life jackets, ice picks, ice cleats, and holding a little rope connecting us 75 ft apart.  Go slow if ya don't know.

5 hours ago, trebormorgan said:

We're making ice tonight boys.  If it wasDecember you'd be in your garage preparing your gear. It's kind of like how people where t-shirts this time of year.  If it was October/November they'd be wearing hats, gloves, and parkas.  Just adifference in the season lens that's looked through.

For real though, the concerns are valid and much appreciated.  Tomorrow morning during the walk across the lake we'll be wearing life jackets, ice picks, ice cleats, and holding a little rope connecting us 75 ft apart.  Go slow if ya don't know.

I wouldn't compare climate accumulation to ice deteriorating vs ice building.  This ice is nothing like 3-4 inches of good clear early ice.  To each there own though.

However I am going to say as the other guys have said and would highly advise anyone else not to go on the ice.

I find it comical of how these message boards produce so many HR responses to ice safety. The world we live in tho. It wasn't that long ago and people only fished on the first 6 inches of ice and the very last ice. But that's the difference between a power auger and a chisel. Hahha