• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spring 2016 roughfish reports

ANYFISH2

Spring has sprung early this year and the ice clearing quickly.  Let's get this forum rolling by posting your early exploits chasing suckers, redhorse, and carp here on the northern stretches of the Mighty Miss!  

The river and tributaries here near Little falls are still ice covered but the ice is progressing/leaving nicely, should be completely gone by weeks end.  Hope the fishing will start soon.

Hope you all have great season and share your trips and pics.

• Thumbs Up 3

The river ice by our place started moving Thursday, a lot more Friday and was mostly open by Saturday morning.  It's been fun watching the progression.

I think I got my wood duck house up just in time. :whistle:

I'm looking forward to learning a new part of the state and upper Miss fishing!

Caught a few redhorse at a Wright County small river on Saturday. I am planning on making it out shortly to try a few new spots.

Any fish,

It wasn't really a cold walk at all.  It was a short paddle, a quick ram and slide, dismount and float for a bit. :D

A lot of people think kayaks are all tippy and dangerous but I feel safer and in more control with my yak than I've ever felt in a canoe.  

Nice buffalo Tom. :)

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't even notice the yak in front of you.  Also didn't notice you were on a 'berg vs a rock/shallow spot!:blush::blush::blush:

As you can see , I have keen observation skills!

I didn't even notice the yak in front of you.  Also didn't notice you were on a 'berg vs a rock/shallow spot!:blush::blush::blush:

As you can see , I have keen observation skills!

I checked the Wolf River cam, and a lot of suckers were up there in the shallow water today. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen a redhorse and am curious as to why people fish for them. They look too ugly to eat so are they a good fighter?

the nature boy, Redhorse are underutilized, not targeted often, usually easy to fish for, and put up a decent fight. Add in the fact that they can be fished for before opener and you've got yourself a fish worth fishing for.

Also, "too ugly to eat" is wrong. It's those y-bones that make them hard to eat. Imagine a pike, but instead of one row of y-bones, it's filled with them. However, putting the filet through a meat grinder produces edible, sweet flesh that can rolled into a ball and fried.

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, GeluNumber1 said:

the nature boy, Redhorse are underutilized, not targeted often, usually easy to fish for, and put up a decent fight. Add in the fact that they can be fished for before opener and you've got yourself a fish worth fishing for.

Also, "too ugly to eat" is wrong. It's those y-bones that make them hard to eat. Imagine a pike, but instead of one row of y-bones, it's filled with them. However, putting the filet through a meat grinder produces edible, sweet flesh that can rolled into a ball and fried.

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

he confused me also in the pic threads.  but I am easily confused

Just now, eyeguy 54 said:

he confused me also in the pic threads.  but I am easily confused

I've noticed. :D

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I know more than some think...  lol  

• Thumbs Up 2