• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Truck threw the ice on north access blue lake

truck broke threw up to the hood with the back end still out....   (Blue lake) not sure why they were going to drive out with a truck with slush and warm weather?  I was out on Green with a ATV on Sunday early morning ... by afternoon ... it was amazing how fast warm weather can slush it up.  there was a good 11-12" on Green but it is always the Public landings that gets rough first!!

Cret

Edited by Cret Jigs

The landing was fine when they went out.  But with the sun, temp, and wind the landing went quick.  I know them personally, and for it to happen to them, was so unexpected.  They are the most cautious folks I know, just unfortunate for them.  The ice was still very thick at the landing.  

blue lake ice.jpg

Glad they are ok... Looks like some of those chucks may be thick but only half of it is good ice. Just because there is thick ice doesn't mean it is good ice. I think it is safe to say that no cars or trucks should be on any lake around here anymore. Stay safe everyone and tight lines!

• Thumbs Up 1

I sure hope you know people that are more cautious then them!!!  Sorry but to hear that people are driving on the lake around this area is plain ridiculous!  Then to do it on a lake such as Blue where that landing is always sketchy at the end of the season with the channel near by, all the traffic it takes in a season, and how deep that access is around the ramp!  Sorry but don't make this sound like they just were unlucky!!  They pushed their luck by driving on a lake that ever year has a bad landing late in the season and the way this season has been it should have been a no brainer not to drive out. Glad they are ok and made it out safely!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have not driven on a lake around home all winter. Just never enough ice for me. Glad they are ok. Reminder for every one else.

Pictures always worth 1000 words. Visible ice thickness in pic less than bumper which is about 6" and top of ice is 30% is white.  12" good stuff needed to support truck. Glad they were safe, just not very bright.

I am shocked someone would drive a truck out this time of year. I for one haven't driven out anywhere this year and am perfectly content with that. Too unstable of ice conditions especially this late in the season. Hopefully they found a few fish for their troubles but I wouldn't even consider it in a 2 door passenger car this year

There was only 11-12in of ice on blue. Driving on 12in ice and 55degrees outside is just a recipe for disaster. Common sense, beautiful day just walk out. 

20160306_145834.jpg.8e38c93b94e731a4cff6613653311462.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Yesterday I hit Osakis on the north end. There were trucks out, so I figured I could drive my car out. This was early in the day. It then hit me when I got on the ice that the landing was already getting beat up. 4 hours from the time if a truck breaks through at the access, I'm stuck out here with my car. I pulled back up to the landing....

• Thumbs Up 1

ugh...looking at that pic and the ice itself I would not have been in that truck as it drove off!!! haha  Great that they made it out and no one lost a life!!!! 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Thanks for the up date!!

I never drilled over 12" of ice on Blue this year, I never went out after the end of January so I am sure it got a little thicker, my truck never went on the ice on area lakes this winter, I want well over 15" of ice to drive on, feel better about 18"+

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found some lakes east of St Cloud that never had more than 12-13" on them all season. There was a lot of questionable ice in the area, yet people were still driving on it using the herd mentality  

For some reason, the ice just didn't thicken up out east like it did west and south of St Cloud.