• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2016 Rainy River Conditions (Ice Out)

Just an option for those there and those who are still going, the area from the Pelland access and east to the International Falls dam is not effected by the Forks muddying the river.  You are fishing almost exclusively river fish there but the fishing can still be very good, just not as many big fish.  Trip will not be a loss at least!  We have had many 50+ fish days in this stretch.

We decided to wait and go up April 1st.  Talked to a resort and their is a small channel open to the gap and some boat are fishing in it.  Hope it clears up.

The Little Fork was almost open around noon today and level was about normal.   Still about 1/2 mile of ice holding but open water could be seen south of the bridge so there shouldn't be any big impact when it opens completely.   Big Fork will be a different story.   That river is quite high and holding tight.   

So where is the mud coming from?  Runoff or the Little fork?  Another blast of mud from the Bigfork when it opens?  River could stay dirty for awhile.

Hopefully she's good to go by the weekend of the 9th! Coming up that Friday and staying the weekend. First time trying the walleye run up there for this guy! Great drone footage by the way! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Had some friends up over the weekend. Water clarity was about 6-12 inches eye bite was pretty much non existent but the sturgeon were going good! Water temps were around 34 give or take depending on day. A lot of scum hanging on there jigs they tried rippin raps jigs plastics cranks all with little success. Key is clarity if its dirty in my experience its pretty hopeless. Heard the water clarity is about 15 inches up by birchdale and a few eyes getting caught so there is hope. We  had our trip to rainy this thursaday -sunday but rescheduled for the last weekend. Our group of 9  decided  to hit Red Wing pool 4 for our annual run this wknd instead of rainy/  Looking forward to couple fun trips!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya a couple of us will be up the last weekend also. Thanks for the updates. Hope to hear some more throughout the week.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know if the main lake will be accessible through the rainy river closing weekend.  Gophers4L and I will be coming up to slay some eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look at the MODIS satellite.  Part of Four mile bay is starting to open.  Might be close as far as getting on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once the big fork river lets loose, its a good 8-10 days before it MIGHT clear up at best.

I am planning on being up there April 8th for the weekend.... I honestly think it is going to SUCK. By that I mean chocolate milk and LOTS of debris on the line and cleaning non stop. All the years I have done it I can tell this year will be miserable, BUT I am still going. Better than sitting on the couch.

Key to when this happens is fish SLOOOOOOOWWWWW Honestly catch more walleye on sturgeon setups than pitching plastics and jigging. Walleye cant see in that crap. Or if you do fish walleye  Obviously like i said slow is the key and use plastics that give off vibration. Puls-R's, Moxie's, things like that. Pitch up to shore and drag really slow almost letting the current do the work. Your hoping for the eyes to key in on the vibration rather than seeing the bait.

Edited by elusivecrappiecatcher

So who has a report on the big fork? Do we need to get some guys together to open it up:boom:

2 minutes ago, Gophers4L said:

So who has a report on the big fork? Do we need to get some guys together to open it up:boom:

YEP!!!!!

I think it was maybe Walleye Central that had a picture from the other day of the Big Fork all jammed up with Ice and rising.

Edited by elusivecrappiecatcher

I will preface this by saying I have not been there this year yet.....

That being said, following the precip on or around the 16th, the little fork blew up by 16 feet according to its gauge.  It has been on the fall for well over a week, and is now only a couple feet above winter levels, and flows are stable and ice free according to the gauge.  

The big fork blew up by about 4-5 feet after the precip, and have since settled back to within a foot of winter levels, and again, flows are steady and ice free at the gauge.

While there may be some ice on the forks yet, surely most of the debris flushed out a while ago, and this has been verified by almost everyone lately, who have said that debris has been improving.  

I also have it on good authority that the dam will be pinched down soon, so that will lessen flows on the Rainy also.  Flows on the Rainy have already dropped almost 10,000 cfs (33%) since about 10 days ago.

What I am trying to say is that in my humble opinion the worst has passed, barring weather events.  It will happen soon, and there are some good sticks doing pretty decent for a few days now.  Good luck to everyone!

• Thumbs Up 1

I have read that the bite has picked up quite a bit in just the last couple of days. Hopefully that keeps trending upward.

Hey guys.  If both the forks are down and ice free now, and both at dropped winter levels the rainy should clear up soon which is awsome. If the river does clean up by the 8th weekend, and current is low is it best to fish the deeper holes in the river.  I've heard when it's muddy and current is strong that fishing the shallows is best, with plastics.  Like the pulse Rs.... would live bait rainbows or chubs be better fishing deeper if the water is clear. 

I saw pictures from someone fishing up their the past 5 days that both the Big and Little forks have officially let go and are flowing freely into the Rainy River. The USGS is reading flow levels now as well. I think Uncle Rico is spot on as well and with the rivers letting loose, conditions should only improve from here on out.

• Thumbs Up 3

Was planning to go up this weekend but heading West to the Big Mo.  Much better reports than the Rainy.  Good luck to those up there and hope the fish show up for you.

Anyone up there this weekend braving the cold that can give us an update on the bite?

I can. Fished for 5 hours yesterday. Not a bite. fished sturgies and walleye Just happened to be in front of sportsman's lodge when about five guide boats came in and overheard them say they all pretty much got skunked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@live4chrome did you notice water clarity or temperature yesterday? @Shane shadrap and I will be up next weekend rain or snow.. but every time I check the weather for those days it looks colder...

Four of us were up and fished Sat.  Heard they were biting over by Birchdale.  Went out and got a 17 incher in the first 5 min and was thinking it was going to be good.  That was the only fish in 2+ hours.  Left around noon and went out of Timbermill.   Got a 20, and 21.5 incher in the first 20 min than 2 small sauger in 3 hours.  We ended up catching 5 for the day. After talking with everyone at Sportsmans we did better than most boats.  Planned on fishing Sun. morning but woke up with the wind in our face and decided to pack up and go home.  Water was pretty dirty, could maybe see 12 inches and lots of debris getting caught on your line/hook.  Current was moving faster than previous years.  Hope it turns on this up coming weekend.  Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can anyone speak to the crowds at the landings lately? Can't imagine it's too bad with all of them open. Just want to know how far I'll be walking. 

Not sure about Wheeler Pt. access but all the other ones we were at maybe had 6-10 truck at each.

They high for Friday a whopping 24 degrees... gonna be miserable out there

Wheeler's Point access parking lot was close to full, but I fished on Thursday and Friday so weekend was busier I'm sure . . . . or with weather maybe not.