• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buying an Ice Castle Fish House or??

hi2u

Hey Guys,

My wife and myself have been thinking of buying a camper every summer for the past 3 summers, but never have. I do some Ice fishing and love it... I looked at buying a 6X14  tandem axle cargo trailer last year and converting it to a camper. Now that I saw Yetti and a couple other companies selling toy haulers(with alumunium frames) , but I don't see a lot of good reviews on the frames.

We are looking at buying a 2014 Chevy Tahoe with a towing weight of 5,000.. I'm guessing this limits to me to what I could pull. I was looking to get a 8x14 or 8x16, but want something light enough that I could pull it and use it longer on the ice.

I would also use this trailer for elk hunting/camping in Colorado/Montana. The problem I'm seeing is that for something sturdy enough for what I want I would need to go with an ice castle, but I feel like the weight would be a problem... If I went with a tandem axle I'm guessing the Tahoe would have problems pulling it, but I like the option of having it:(.

I would need something that could haul 2 mid size atvs. a Honda Rubicon 450 and a Honda ex 400.

Whats everyone's thoughts?

Don't be afraid of the aluminum trailers.  All the builders have issues with their houses.  The weight savings are enough to sell me on one.  A lot of of your over the road semi trailers are built out of aluminum so it must not be that bad.

I wouldn't be one bit concerned about a Yetti or Firebrand (aluminum) house.  There are thousands of them on the road, and I've heard of very few problems.  The only widespread issue I'm aware of is the first year houses, they had some problems with the pulleys.  You are getting a VASTLY superior (to Ice Castle) product with either one.  Seriously though...Ice Castle is garbage.

I don't think you'll be able to get 2 4 wheelers in a 16' single axle.  It's not just the space, the axles and tires aren't going to have enough capacity.   

If your Tahoe does have a 5,000# limit, you'll be pushing it with any tandem (especially with 2 4 wheelers in it).  The Ice Castle (only option unless you want to spend $35k+) tandem is anywhere from 5,500-7,000# depending on model.  An 8x20 tandem is going to tow a lot better than a 8x16 single axle...especially in any sort of wind.

Or, you could buy my house and end up with a tandem that is 5400#, and vastly better than an Ice Castle.

We are also looking a suburban's, which would tow up to 10,000.

Appreciate all he advice so far!

My worst concern with a 20" is going camping in Colorado and hauling that thing 12 hours. Also how much ice( I know its opinion) roughly would a person need to be safe with a 5400 pound shack and 5400 suburban?

information on house Lip Ripper? You can text me 641-840-2436

The tandem axles tow absolutely beautifully.  You can feel that there is some weight back there, but I've never had the sway and wiggles like the single axles.  Towing to Colorado would be no problem at all, other than your mileage isn't going to be very good.  

With my house, I've had it on 9" regularly, and set down on 8".  This is towed out with a Honda 450.  I prefer 15" to have the truck and house.

I'll send you a text shortly.

I have a 2016 ice castle and I tows like a dream. I put a weight distribution hitch on it,   brake controller with a 06 silverado 1/2 tonight with 240,000 miles. I pull her ato 75-80 when roads are nice. Used for camping several times. Been to mille lacs, red and going to lotw on friday. A lot of sway is caused by improper loading. I add a decent amount of torque weight in the castle...generator, cooler, bags, auger, spare tire...etc. 

20150918_183732.jpg

• The title was changed to Buying an Ice Castle Fish House or??

Chevy - How did you mount the brackets on the Ice Castle tongue?  Do you have a top down photo?

I bought the Ice castle 8x16 tows great 2008 chevy 1500, no sway, I'm speed demon mine 60 as an average.   Wife and I looked at wheel houses at ice show for 4 hrs comparing prices and finishing, and additions.  castle sold me, better over all finish trim work. If your buying for a few years why not spend a bit more a buy quality?

We just picked up an 8X17 RV model and we love it!  It tow's very well, you know it's back there but tracks well.  I have found the fit and finish or our's is great.  Plus for the price we paid I can't complain.  Milaca Unclaimed Freight beat the best price we could find by $500 and they are very helpful with any questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 8x20 Ice Castle RV Edition.  Pull it with my F-150 with ease.  It's actually for sale if you're interested.  We want the slide out one.