• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to area. Would appreciate ice fishing advice

beardybuddha

Just moved to South Minneapolis (three blocks from Minnehaha Park), and was curious what are some decent lakes around the metro area to catch some fish. I'm not picky. I don't need monsters. I'm fine catching the dinks. 

But I'm not from Minnesota, so my knowledge of Metro Lakes is limited. The woman and I have been out to Waconia and then tried Nokomis a few weeks ago, too. Just not sure how to fish some of these lakes or where to find info, like lake maps, structure, etc. 

I know a good fisherman keeps great secrets, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggesting going to the MN DNR website and use lake finder for your area.  You should be able to find a lake close that has your target species. You can get maps, stocking reports and survey results which to me are huge.  Most metro lakes offer good dink panfish, crappie action. If you want walleyes they are a bit harder to get and some of the lakes have muskies in the summer which is a blast.   Any other questions let us know

• Thumbs Up 2

Highly recommend Navionics and DNR info as suggested. It'll take a lot of time and new areas exploring but that's half the fun right? Also, be prepared to fish with (a lot) of other people anywhere within 1/2 hour to an hour of the metro. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to New to area. Would appreciate ice fishing advice
  • 8 months later...

I live north of the metro in East Bethel so not to familiar with south metro lakes. Minnetonka, Prior, Medicine, seem to have some popularity. On the north side the Chisago City area Green, Chisago, Lindstrom, Center, and Comfort are usually productive for pan fish, northern, walleye and summer bass. Big Marine also holds some nice crappie to 14" and larger Sunfish. Forest Lake and a bit west Coon lake also holds a variety.

Last year I did a fairly extensive look at DNR lake surveys within a 3 hour drive north of the metro and came up with this list that looked promising for Walleye. I have fished a few during summer, but not all, with fair success.  Here is the list. This is typically what you will find on the DNR Lake Finder site only their survey will be for all species. I just took the walleye info. The Navionics link BringAnExtension listed should give you great contours for any of the lakes your interested in.DNR Walleye Anal 12-19.jpg

Minnetonka has excellent nortern fishing.  Get to edge of weeds/reeds.  12 feet or so.  Many bass as well.   My son has Minnetonka large mouth bass record caught in summer.  Know many do not like people catching bass in winter but they are there.  Also good sunfish.  Find open areas within weeds.  

• Thumbs Up 1

If you make up it up this way at all I'll have the peg on a good bite somewhere. Sometimes traveling a little farther north makes ice fishing more enjoyable. Keep on posting, we have tons of well educated anglers that roam these forums!

To be honest, a willingness to move and "hole-hop" is a great way to find biting fish. 

Anothet shout-out to MN Lake Finder.