• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Happy B-Day Kelly p

IceHawk

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Happy B-Day to one of the legends of Red Lake hope its a good one! :) 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Happy Birthday Kelly!  You get to do what you enjoy!

Sure guys rub it in that I turned 60 last month. :eek: I drive around the lake and most of the people working out there were not even born yet when I started working out there. I used to pick on Shorty Hillman all the time about how old he was,,,,Shorty's getting the last laugh now! :grin: I've become one of the old people I used to laugh at and it can be humbling at times but  I've got experience.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. :D

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm still wondering Kelly now that you're retired when are you going to write that book.  With all the stories and memories it would be a best seller.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kelly, we will be up on Monday-Thursday next week in the 10x22 house with Bear paw. I am not sure where Steve will have us but if you can stop by for a belated birthday beer.

Rev

27 minutes ago, Reverend said:

but if you can stop by for a belated birthday beer.

Part of getting old is that I quit drinking. The hangovers started lasting a week and I didn't have enough energy to get everything done without the hangover. :cry: I am still clinging to most of my other bad habits tho. If I gave all of my bad habits up there wouldn't be anything left of me. :grin:

• Thumbs Up 2

I know what you mean. If you would like to stop by and have some good strong coffee and wet a line with us the invitation is open.

Rev

6 hours ago, bturck said:

I'm still wondering Kelly now that you're retired when are you going to write that book.  With all the stories and memories it would be a best seller.

Off The Road.  It would be a New York Times bestseller.

As we are on the subject of Kelly writeing a book! :)  Do any of you Red lake legends Know of any Gd  books about history stories etc  written of Red lake?

5 hours ago, shaky legs2 said:

Off The Road

I don't know shaky, maybe  Off His Rocker would fit better. :grin: I was thinking of you guys the other day. Remember 5 or 6 years ago towards the end of season when we had a bite much like this year and we started squashing our minnows dead and laying them right on the bottom to get the walleyes to bite? I fact I believe that that was the same night that you hooked the "THING" that we couldn't get up to the hole. In any case over 1/2 of the walleyes I have caught this winter have been with that dead minnow on the bottom plan.

Books. "They used to call us Game Wardens" by Bill Callies. He was the CO here back when I was growing up and the CO lived here in Waskish. He was old school and didn't write as many tickets as the times he would point his finger at you and proceed to give you a stern talking too.

"On the Trail" by my uncle AJ Petrowske. Is about the days from when this area was homesteaded until the 1930's. Now it is hard to believe that at one time there was a ballfield between the Hatchery buildings at the mouth of the Tamarac and the edge of the lake water or that there were over 40 farms north of URL. Then the dam was put in at the outlet of LRL and everything flooded out.

5 hours ago, shaky legs2 said:

Edited by kelly-p
double post for some reason
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Kelly I will be looking into these appreciate the info some good reads I bet!

Take a look at the most recent Minnesota Conservation Volunteer, Jan/Feb 2016 from the MN DNR. A really great article about how some of the "lakes" were formed out in the big bog. Great history about the how the military used the bog as a firing and bombing range starting back in the 40"s, and how they used to actually bomb it to make "wallowing holes" for the moose population. Bombs all the way up to 2,000 lbs. Imagine doing that today, WOW

Happy Birthday Kelly. You are clearly a great steward of the resource. !!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, kelly-p said:

I don't know shaky, maybe  Off His Rocker would fit better. :grin: I was thinking of you guys the other day. Remember 5 or 6 years ago towards the end of season when we had a bite much like this year and we started squashing our minnows dead and laying them right on the bottom to get the walleyes to bite? I fact I believe that that was the same night that you hooked the "THING" that we couldn't get up to the hole. In any case over 1/2 of the walleyes I have caught this winter have been with that dead minnow on the bottom plan.

Books. "They used to call us Game Wardens" by Bill Callies. He was the CO here back when I was growing up and the CO lived here in Waskish. He was old school and didn't write as many tickets as the times he would point his finger at you and proceed to give you a stern talking too.

"On the Trail" by my uncle AJ Petrowske. Is about the days from when this area was homesteaded until the 1930's. Now it is hard to believe that at one time there was a ballfield between the Hatchery buildings at the mouth of the Tamarac and the edge of the lake water or that there were over 40 farms north of URL. Then the dam was put in at the outlet of LRL and everything flooded out.

I remember that evening well. That tip you gave us with the smashed minnows on the bottom and poofing the bottom with your lure was a life saver.  We used that tactic many times when the fishing was slow and it was always successful with a slow bite.  The "Thang" I hooked was also something I will never forget.  I had him on for over 45 minutes before Doc walked over to your house to tell you. Then had him on for another hour with Jon stripped down to the waist and his arm way down the hole trying to guide my line away from the ice edge before he broke off.  I don't know if it was a big pike dragging around a bunch of rods/lines or a stirgone (as someone calls them). If memory serves some of your clients lost rods down the hole to the Thang.  I have caught sturgeon with Jon on the river and it sure felt like one.  Didn't act like a pike.  All I know is I was p.o. at Doc because he refused to mix me a drink during that whole ordeal and I was thirsty and my arms were about ready to fall off.  It might have been that same weekend when Jon lost his camera down the hole.  Doc and I tried to fish it out with an ice skimmer duct taped to a roof rake extension using my under water camera as a guide. Good thing we were in shallow water. Every time Jon got a call we could see it light up under water.  We tried all night unsuccessfully.  The next morning Doc says,"We ain't giving up until we get the s.o.b.  we finally got it and in the meantime Jon had ordered a new one.  He stops at the shack to get his phone, opens it up and water starts coming out and he is returning messages.  Reminds me of those old Timex commercials.  Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.  Oh the times we had with you Kelly, they were the best.  Give Freddy an extra dog biscuit from Shaky tonight.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kept meaning to post on here..hope you had a fantastic birthday & you and Patsy are well!!  Swing by next drive thru Blackduck!

See all the stories you could incorparate into this book.  You could start way back in the day and just move forward.  If you ever decide please reserve ma a copy.

i have read the books that Kelly mentioned, all were good.  The game warden book is in three different books.  Kind of a series.  Great reading. Boy life sure was different for them back then.  The book your unclecFred wrote was truly an excellent recap of the early days.  A true treasure.

@ Shaky.......you're just lucky that when you finally got bit off that Doc wasn't playing Willy Nelson's " Turn out the lights, the party's over".  That could have hurt.  You did have enough line on the reel though I hope.......looool. Miss you guys up there.

Edited by bturck
  • Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, shaky legs2 said:

All I know is I was p.o. at Doc because he refused to mix me a drink during that whole ordeal and I was thirsty and my arms were about ready to fall off.

That was the best part. Nobody would mix you a drink or touch your rod. We all just sat there and gave you smart alec advice. You were an hour into it when Doc came and got me and I was there for over an hour before we called Jon to bring a camera out to try see what was trying to pull you down the hole. About 3 1/2 hours, that must have been a record for you for time spent fishing without a drink. :D The next morning a guy in a house about 200 yards away that was a fishing guide in his home town thought he had snagged a big rock on the bottom. He kept trying to free his hook until the "rock" started to slowly take line until his line snapped.

Drake, each time I go by your place it looks busy. It is good to see, you have built a good reputation for treating people right.

Sculpin, there are a lot of old time pictures in On the Trail.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can't remember Kelly and my copy of On The Trail is up North but didn't the Chief sink somewhere by the mouth of the Tamrac river?  I also liked the stories about Fred's dog (forgot the name)and how smart he was.  Even saved Fred's life if my memory serves.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 5:01 PM, shaky legs2 said:

didn't the Chief sink somewhere by the mouth of the Tamrac river?

Yes. Just after Grandpa came back through the "Narrows" after delivering a load of fish to Redby a strong and cold north wind came up. The wind tore the covers off the boat and ripped the rowboat away from the Chief. He spent the first night just trying to keep the bow into the wind so the  boat didn't sink and by morning he was blown close to the south shore surrounded by slush ice. It took him that day and the next night to get across the Lake back to Waskish but by the time he got to the Tamarac the ice had worn away the bow of the boat. One of the steamships, the Dahlberg" also sank right in front of what is the Hatchery building now.

The dog was Fanny,  SHE was very, very smart. Grandpa had the bright idea that if he could breed Fanny to a Timber Wolf the pups would be great sled dogs. So Grandpa caught himself a Timber Wolf, tied it up and carried it 7 miles home. Figured he could tame the wolf so he put it on a chain leash fastened to the front of the house but the wolf had other ideas. After a few weeks the wolf knew just how far the chain would reach and one day Fanny got a little too close. The wolf grabbed Fanny by the throat and was killing her so Grandpa shot the wolf to save Fanny. That ended the dog breeding plan. :eek:

Grandpa had a great respect for Timber Wolves. Late in his life when he was bedridden he was told that the Federal Government had protected the Timber Wolf. After a long pause he replied, "The poor Wolf."

• Thumbs Up 3

A perfect example of why you need to write a book .Your stories' are  a true treasure that need to be shared . Thanks Kelly p for sharing

• Thumbs Up 2

Happy belated Kelly!  

Been so busy with Juniors hoops (33-7 so far this season) I missed this : (

Hope you and Patsy had a nice evening!  Chris/Dylan

Edited by Xplorer

YES, very happy belated Kelly.  My wife and I were in a rental from you near Shaky and Docs for the "Thing" episode......I was the fishing guide guy who also hooked it and thought it was a rock or snag......We have been coming up to Red since I was at BSU in the early 80's, through the crappie times and now back to Walleye.  We now have an old school wheel-house we keep up at Beacons and still come up darn near every weekend January through February, a couple weekends in December and a couple more in March April.....I look forward to your visits to Beacons to check in on Ann and John and I get to say hello to you.  Matter of fact, tried the smashed dead minnow move this past weekend as it was slow.......;)

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, kokanee_on_ice said:

My wife and I were in a rental from you near Shaky and Docs for the "Thing" episode..

Good times! :)We kept the house you were in for ourselves and it spent most of the winter right in that area where you and shaky tangled with the "Thing". Fishing wasn't great but it was quite and peaceful there. I just point out the places we had good fishing through the years for Beacon's and leave those places for Beacon's customers. I really enjoy being around John and Ann as they are good people that treat other people as good as they can.  Also Jesse has learned to make a pretty good ice road. Between Hillman's and Beacon's those are 2 very nice straight roads.

• Thumbs Up 2