• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cutting cable - Which antenna to buy

slammer

Question

Gonna cut the cord and save a few bucks monthly.  The cost is just not worth it.   Anyone have any recommendations for an antenna or what works better?  Im guessing a rooftop one will work better than one of those flat ones you hang inside.  Been doing a little research and there are a lot of choices.  Looking for any feedback.  Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

10 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Go to this site and put in your zip code. It will show you were the signals around you are coming from and the best antenna to reach most of them. I used a site like this and there are a few of them for up at our camper in Brainerd. Good Luck.

www.channelmaster.com/Antenna-Selection-a/134.htm

• Thumbs Up 1

With my cable I get TV, landline phone, and high speed internet. Phone is unlimited long distance (wife can't live without) and cable is only source of internet for my area unless I go to dish or Direct TV which I won't do. If you have any bundled service it may be a good idea to research those also. Leech suggestion good one.

• Thumbs Up 1

We have the bundle now with; 2 phone lines (1 for house-1 for business),  internet, cable with Tivo and encore movie channels. $230 a month.   We need to keep 1 phone and internet.  Want to get an antenna and use Netflix, Sling, or whatever.  Would like to get the bill down to $50 or less.  Thanks leech for that info.

• Thumbs Up 2

I cut the cord a couple years ago, picked up an RCA 43 element / 100 mile antenna at Mills Fleet, Menards has them too, they cost about $100 but you might find them on sale sometimes for around $70, works great.

I also picked up a Tivo DVR for over the air TV, that really comes in handy, cost is $15 per month and I do Netflix for $9 per month for 2 users. The Tivo has some apps on it just like Smart TV's and such.

Mike

• Thumbs Up 2

anyone recommend a antenna that I can put in the attic? Also do these antennas be it be indoor or outdoor require a power source or need to be plugged in?

Also if I wanted to get a signal to 4 tvs will it require a Distribution Amplifier?

Get your 4 way splitter and set up each TV as you go.  If you get service on the first TV go to the next one.  You may not need an amp but no way to tell until you try without.  Keeping the coax cable as short as possible will help your signal also.

I went with the RCA 70 mile antenna and mounted it in my garage attic space, works great!  You do not need a power source.  Just enough coax to get from the antenna to your TV or media hub.