• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North Shore Conditions and Travel

Benjy

Some good memories from that side of the lake.  Miss stopping at Shakys though for a cocktail and John Cash.

we had your big 6 man house this past Thurs/Friday Kelly.  It was a good time.  Say hi to Patsy, hope she is feeling better.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, kelly-p said:

The ice looks real good now. Nobody has found any questionable ice for a while. The thinnest being found is 15 inches under deep drifts. Most places are 17 to 20 inches.

Beacons is now out 6 miles. To give everyone more room Hillman's is 7 miles straight out until the road hits some rough ice coming from the south where the road turns to the NW for another 2 1/2 miles so it is 9 1/2 miles to the end of Hillman's road. Where I was scouting tonight about 7 miles out cross country travel was pretty easy if you watch out for the rough ice patches. This extension of Hillman's main road opens up over 6 square miles of lake that has not been fished.

You're killin me Kelly!!   Sounds like perfect conditions!

I may have to come up with some type of flu one of these days and run up for a couple days with the sled.  May have to sleep in the Otter or truck but I'm thinkin it'd be worth it.  I've only got 1 open weekend between now and the middle of April, and thats in March after eye's close.  I gotta get up and redeem myself after the last trip :) 

Thanks for all of the good information.  I am heading up tonight and based on this info, am considering using Hillman's road to get to some of my north shore spots.  I have not seen many positive fishing reports from up there.  I'm guessing that's because access has been questionable to this point, so not a lot of information is coming in.  I did well out of JR's on the south side 10 days ago.  Fishing is fishing - no sure things anywhere you go.  But debating whether I go back to spots on the south side where I did well recently or take a chance on the north end for change of scenery. 

3 hours ago, aczr2k said:

Kelly- How is the travel off road?  Able to get around if you pick and choose wisely?  Thanks.

The only place I had trouble yesterday was by some rough ice where the drifts were deeper. Picking my way around the drifts most places had about 5 inches.

6 hours ago, Xplorer said:

I gotta get up and redeem myself after the last trip 

Your last trip really ran into some bad ice. I had not even driven on the lake when you were up. Yesterday when I was heading out to scout I saw the house you usually have about 100 feet from where I had scouted and done well the night before. It was the point of the spear into unfished waters.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was out this weekend off of Hillman's road about 7 miles then ventured cross country about three quarters of a mile to the north. We had a constant bite from 8am til noon on Saturday, the evening bite was nothing to brag about and a few caught this morning before packing up and heading off. We did leave the lake with our 3 person limit of all 14" fish. Woke up and couldn't believe how foggy it was. The ice where we dropped the house was 17", it was nice just to venture away from the traffic finally.

• Thumbs Up 2