• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North Shore Conditions and Travel

Benjy

I have some spots along the north shore that have been good for me in prior years.  I fished the south side last weekend and did poorly.  Does anyone have information on ice thickness up there and whether its possible to move around with a truck and wheel house off the plowed roads?  Flooding a problem up there?  Hillmans and West Wind only go out about 3 miles right now – I’m looking to get more like 5 miles out.  I’m a little nervous about heading into uncharted territory, but maybe its ok if you travel slow and watch closely.  I'm not going to take any chances, but any information would be appreciated.  Fishing reports from up there would be good too.........

Edited by Benjy

11 minutes ago, Benjy said:

Hillmans and West Wind only go out about 3 miles right now –

That might be a clue.

Looking across the lake yesterday I did see that Hillman's had gained  some more road but I do not how far out he is letting people drive.  Be sure and talk to the people working on the road where you go out of. Every road along this side of the lake has areas vehicles should avoid.

I don't go down to the south shore at all so I only know what is happening along the east and north shore. Saturday some people I know were drilling tip up holes around their house and found 7 inches of ice one place. Monday was the first day all winter that I drove my 10 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee cross country where a road had not been plowed. I was walking ahead drilling and checking the ice and I quit when I found 9 1/2 inches of ice one place. The best that I found in that area was 11 1/2 inches. Monday a 1/2 ton truck with an 8 foot straight blade on it broke out a chunk of ice behind it and when they went back to look they found 9 inches of ice there. Sunday a friend found 9 inches when setting up his portable. Yesterday I saw a pickup pulling a tandem axel fish house across the lake drive right over that spot. I was fearing a splash but he made it across that spot and kept roaring across the lake without a care in the world.  Yesterday a 20 old 2WD little Mazda pickup with chains got stuck in a drift and spun his chains right through the ice.

Due to concerns about the ice I have not fished anyplace that I would like to which is a bummer but on the bright side as far as Hillman's and Beacon's roads go I feel that the best fishing is still ahead of us.

• Thumbs Up 4

Thanks for the info Kelly. I fished by the north river cribs on Jan1 and found a spot that had 5 inches of ice. As I was sitting in my portable I looked out and there was a guy on an atv pulling a wheelhouse coming right towards me. I had water coming up my holes and I was on 9 inches of ice. I will be up Friday going out of Hillmans with my wheelhouse but I will not be the brave one, I will stay close to the road. Thanks again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I drove out Hillman's road today and talked to Buddy. Right now he has the road closed with traffic cones at about 3 miles where there are a lot of bad cracks.  He is not sure when he will be letting the fishermen loose beyond that. Right now he feels uncomfortable about the ice out there. He does have the main road smoothed down all the way out to and through the rough ice from where it piled after opening up so once we get some ice everything should be good to go right on across the lake. I've been on a lot of Buddy's roads through the years and this one looks to be one of best ever. Smooth and wide. :)

Right now both Hillman's and Beacon's roads are ending before we get into good crappie country but there are still a lot of crappies coming in. Just a little longer road both places and things could get interesting as far as crappies.

6 hours ago, kelly-p said:

Sunday a friend found 9 inches when setting up his portable. Yesterday I saw a pickup pulling a tandem axel fish house across the lake drive right over that spot. I was fearing a splash but he made it across that spot and kept roaring across the lake without a care in the world. 

This guy should have used up some of his luck buying Powerball tickets. Before I saw him Buddy watched him drive right through the cones blocking the area all cracked up then Buddy realized that this guy was heading right into an area that Buddy didn't feel there was enough ice for vehicles so Buddy had blocked that off with crossed orange stakes. Buddy is not as old as me but he still ran across the lake waving his arms trying to stop this guy. The guy ignored him and drove right through the crossed orange stakes and right across the area where Buddy was scared to drive a 1/2 ton truck. :eek:

• Thumbs Up 1

Did i hear right that beacons is no longer letting people out their road other than those that already have a season pass.

Once again I say " Where has the Common Sense Gone " . People need to realize that cones and crosses are put there for their own safety!!!  All it takes is for someone to go through the ice in that spot to screw up the road for everyone else . If they don't care about their own safety they could at least show a little respect and care for the others that also use the lake and the roads.

Mike

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, ALEX EYES said:

Did i hear right that beacons is no longer letting people out their road other than those that already have a season pass.

Yes Beacon's has been a closed access after X-Mass Day for a couple years. Only their motel guests, people renting fish houses and 75 season passes. A friend of mine got a season pass in September and it was one of the last ones left. The fishermen seem to really like it this way, quite, peaceful and way less crowded. Also your season pass can be revoked for any bad behavior such as being rude to other fishermen, littering or poaching.

20 minutes ago, Weathertite said:

If they don't care about their own safety they could at least show a little respect and care for the others that also use the lake and the roads.

I would have liked to see Buddy running across the lake. It is hard to believe but once upon a time we were 2 of the out fielders for the Waskish softball team. We could run like the wind and we laughed at the "old people". Look at us now? :crazy:

15 minutes ago, kelly-p said:

Also your season pass can be revoked for any bad behavior such as being rude to other fishermen, littering or poaching

I believe it should be that way for every outfitter up there. We are all there to have fun and enjoy a fabulous fishery , We owe it too our kids , grandkids and Great Grandkids to preserve this fishery for the future.

Mike

• Thumbs Up 2

That's some scary info Kelly! We stayed home last weekend to let the cold pass, ice thicken, and better fishing reports. Seems we have the same this weekend except maybe the fishing reports will be better! Looks like I better pull the wheelhouse with the 4 Wheeler again and do some ice scouting ahead of the move! Thanks for the report!

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably a good idea , You can never be too safe when it comes to Ice Conditions. Not everyone enjoys a polar plunge. Stay safe and stay topside !!! And may your trip be a productive one.

Mike

• Thumbs Up 1

So did they turn around and head back east on their same track?  Some days you have to wonder how some people get out of bed with hurting themselves

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, just 3 days ago you were telling me how iffy the ice was in that area.  It is amazing that they made it across.

• Thumbs Up 1

should have told them that the ribbons marked the spot where they filmed the crappies last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BringAnExtension said:

Hmm, just 3 days ago you were telling me how iffy the ice was in that area.  It is amazing that they made it across.

I called the road operated and he relayed instructions how to get back safely. Nice guys, just took it for granted.

Hello shaky, I miss you guys out there. With the warmer weather now I'm going to start scouting around in shallow. I can remember a few times that you guys didn't have much over 4 feet of water from the ice to the bottom and Doc did pretty good. :P "put in the bucket for me shaky".  :D

The one very shallow place I have been to was all bog stained water due to the flow coming out of the bog but there are more places to look now that I'm a little more comfortable with the ice. Who knows maybe I'll even have a "flurfie". :grin:  So good times and memories.  Take care of yourself down there in all that miserable hot weather.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hopefully the ice conditions continue to improve.  We would like to chase some crappies again in March.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Borch said:

Hopefully the ice conditions continue to improve.  We would like to chase some crappies again in March.

Amen Brother , We all feel the same way !!!! Crappies would be awesome.

We miss you guys also and Fred.  One of Doc,'S sons has the fish house so maybe you will see it up there.  I am laying in a hospital bed in Plano Texas.  Just had my other hip replaced. We had some great times and memories up there and who knows, maybe we will be up there again. Thank you for all you did for us over the years. You are a class act. I enjoy following Jon's adventures.  Say hello to Patsy, Jim, and of course, Fred from Shaky. 

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, shaky legs2 said:

I am laying in a hospital bed in Plano Texas.  Just had my other hip replaced.

I remember when you had the first one done. You were supposes to stay on smooth floors for 3 weeks. After 1 week you two showed up on the lake to go fishing. The first morning I found you walking down the road with a drink in your hand heading over to the nearest house 1/4 mile away to see how they were doing and visit. I know your Doctor said smooth floors but I do not think he meant  on ice. :crazy:

I talked to Buddy Hillman this morning and for this weekend Hillman's main road will coned off at about 5.4 miles. Beyond that he found some ice conditions he was not comfortable with.  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, kelly-p said:

I talked to Buddy Hillman this morning and for this weekend Hillman's main road will coned off at about 5.4 miles. Beyond that he found some ice conditions he was not comfortable with.  

Sounds like plenty of room to roam......spread out everyone so we all have a good time! Should be a great weekend on the ice, not -30 !!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Fishalittle said:

Sounds like plenty of room to roam

You're right. Plenty of area that has not been fished all winter for people to spread out over.

Looking at the Modis Sat view from 12-19 it looks like where Buddy coned the road off is about where it shows open water after the ice sheet moved west and then came back across the lake.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, kelly-p said:

You're right. Plenty of area that has not been fished all winter for people to spread out over.

Looking at the Modis Sat view from 12-19 it looks like where Buddy coned the road off is about where it shows open water after the ice sheet moved west and then came back across the lake.

Probably the same line I am hitting just south of me. Checked again today and found spots of 8 inches, some 10 and did not venture very far into it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Will have to check with Buddy in the morning also but do you think these thinner ice areas are beyond the coned off road or do we have to fear getting away from others in closer as well say the 3-4 mile range heading north off the hillman road? The ice variations this year make me nervous! Gonna be nice this weekend..... Sure hope the fish think they are hungry too!

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Fishalittle said:

but do you think these thinner ice areas are beyond the coned off road

The way Buddy explained it the thinner ice was beyond the cones, beyond the 5.4 miles. Buddy has plowed out to about 6.3 for it to freeze down better.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/21/2016 at 2:22 PM, kelly-p said:

I remember when you had the first one done. You were supposes to stay on smooth floors for 3 weeks. After 1 week you two showed up on the lake to go fishing. The first morning I found you walking down the road with a drink in your hand heading over to the nearest house 1/4 mile away to see how they were doing and visit. I  your Doctor said smooth floors but I do not think he meant  on ice. :crazy:

Yeah, I sometimes don't listen to my Drs. or wife's advice.  Went ice fishing 9 days after surgery.  Not real smart.  I was hobbling around on the ice with my cane trying to get some exercise and Doc said, "why don't you go visit some of Kelly's customers". So off I went but nobody was real communicative.  I got back to our house and told Doc that Kelly sure had some boring clients in his houses.  Then I remembered Rule # 1:  Don't talk to Strangers.  LOL!

• Thumbs Up 1