Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StoneCold651

Tullibee

12 posts in this topic

Anyone catching tullibee

Must not be catching any

Caught a couple friday 31 feet

1 person likes this

Not sure there are too many folks really pursuing them at this time. There are few incidental fish being caught by deep water perch fisherman, and those chasing walleyes in deep water transition areas. There are a couple of really strong year classes in the lake, as many as there have been in years.

Lyback's now has their road extended to the tullibee hole, and 41 feet of water, so there is one of the best options on the lake, short of going to the mud, or the deep transitions on the north end. It's the best of both worlds over that deep soft bottom, as you should also find some jumbo perch mixed in. Access is limited on the north end , but there were allot of tullies caught there in Feb. last year.

Good luck !  

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:34 PM, Sculpin said:

Not sure there are too many folks really pursuing them at this time. There are few incidental fish being caught by deep water perch fisherman, and those chasing walleyes in deep water transition areas. There are a couple of really strong year classes in the lake, as many as there have been in years.

Lyback's now has their road extended to the tullibee hole, and 41 feet of water, so there is one of the best options on the lake, short of going to the mud, or the deep transitions on the north end. It's the best of both worlds over that deep soft bottom, as you should also find some jumbo perch mixed in. Access is limited on the north end , but there were allot of tullies caught there in Feb. last year.

Good luck !  

Thanks for the info. Good Luck fishing

Has anyone been having any luck targeting tulibees lately? I just recently tries in about 38 ft, but only ended up with one after 4 hrs on the lake. 

Tullibee fishing at 31 fow north side best its been in years....caught lots of fish different year classes too.Im trying something new this year. I have about 4to5 pounds of fillets im brining now in the fridge.....about wednesday ill soak em in cold water and put them in jars with seasoning,vinegar and onions.......will let you know how they turn out!Ps best luck on small purple jig(with protuding yellow eyes)eurolarve with a gold attractor spoon 6to10 inches above the jig.Use a small micro cam to watch come in and hit the bait.I love that little micro cam!!!!c63

Edited by chris63
added text
2 people like this

Glad to hear they are starting to bite! I marked and saw tons of fish  on the cam last weekend but I could not get them to bite.. I was also in 31 ft on the north side, after starting out on the south end in 38 ft.  I might have to give it one last try this weekend.

Thank you for the advice. 

Edited by FilledLimits
1 person likes this

Where on the North end did you go out of?  Last weekend my son & I went out of lybeck's and Terry's.  Marked a lot of fish but only got one tullibee and one jumbo perch that are in the smoker now.  Anyone know if there are any roads open on the north end I can drive out of?

We caught a few tullibee last weekend, and probably would've caught more if we weren't using very large spoons to attract aggressive walleye.  We had multiple fish on the screen, chasing the lure up 10-15 feet off bottom, disappearing quickly, reappearing, then a massive school of red that made you think the Vex was broken, etc.   Probably tullies. :)

We caught all of ours and saw almost all of them off the deep edge of the mud, about 31-32 ft.  I suspect if you had the interest and spent the time, you could punch a lot of holes and find some.

9 hours ago, walros said:

Where on the North end did you go out of?  Last weekend my son & I went out of lybeck's and Terry's.  Marked a lot of fish but only got one tullibee and one jumbo perch that are in the smoker now.  Anyone know if there are any roads open on the north end I can drive out of?

I'm not sure if Myr Mar still has its bridge out past the first crack; that's where I was out of last weekend.  Another new crack showed up on Sunday, heading south towards the main lake, but it wasn't that big.  If you're curious about heading out of there, give them a call to make sure they haven't removed the bridge. I wouldn't be surprised if they had.

I fished out of Hunter's Point last Saturday for the Perch Extravaganza and targeted tullibee. I fished some of the deeper areas as close the edge of the flat as I could get. 33-35FOW is where we caught fish. Between 3 guys and a matter of 3hrs fishing we managed 17 tullibees over 16" ad quite a few under that we released. Small jigging spoons like forage minnows (key was no rattles) and also 5mm tungsten jigs both tipped with either minnow heads or larva. It was mayhem when the fish would come through. We had multiple triples in the time spent fishing. Also managed to catch 3 jumbos right around 11"-12" and some 14"-16" walleyes. Hoping to make it back up there a time or two before ice out to find some more fish.

Good luck,
-Zander

By the way, we took the wheeler out of Hunter's point but there was a nasty pressure ridge that a Ford Explorer fell through. We were able to safely cross in one location with the wheeler but please use caution. This ridge will not be a problem if accessing the lake from the west/northwest side. 

Anybody been out on Mille Lacs for Cisco/ Tullibee this winter yet? 

Anybody been out on Mille Lacs for Cisco/ Tullibee this winter yet?