• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I haven't seen much for ice thickness reports recently.   Who has been out?  I was thinking of walking out tomorrow.

Thanks

I fished French this morning and would say it was just over 3" everywhere but some less.  Use caution on all the lakes with the snow and slush cover we have right now.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's my ice report: proceed with caution and make sure you bring your spud bar.  While I ended up on about 5 inches of ice on Mazaska, there was an area where my spud bar was going through way too easy.  I quickly left that area.

3-5" of ice.  When you drill a hole you will create a slush zone.  Stay light and safe out there.  I think things will improve after next weeks cold snap. 

I was on mazaska Sunday, we were sitting off the east access past the reeds in about 17 fow. Ice was only about 3" with slush and a good 2 inches of standing water. I went to Carl's Monday, and mostly marked 5-6 in most places along the point off the access,  but closer to the middle of the lake I started finding 3 and slushy with standing water. The areas on shore didn't have much snow at all, so that should freeze up really good Sunday into next  week,  but the middle of the lake had a few inches of snow. We will probably have a pocket in the middle of ice making out there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5" on circle today, very little slush. Wheelers, a sled and even a side by side were out there as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Grainbelter how was the bite? I've been meaning to get out there and check,  but I've been fishing other lakes. It's one of the closest to my house too, just been too lazy to walk too far. 

Did good on perch, easy walk as everything was packed down from all the traffic. Fished from 7:30am to 4:30, most bites came before noon. Deadstick with a crappie minnow or fathead caught em all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Any of you guys fish Lake Pepin in Montgomery? I got out there at like 345 one day and just posted up off the landing a little bit away from a group of houses. No more than 20 min later people were showing up and headed toward the narrows. I was in 10fow and didn't mark a thing. I saw guys fishing near show, probably sight fishing BG.

well i think the ice will firm up now .  will have to go out and check under a few drifts and see if the cold went through the snow.  it should have made good ice last night,

on that note  how long before someone decides to drive out. 

Edited by troutman72

2 hours ago, troutman72 said:

on that note  how long before someone decides to drive out.

If you count the guy that drove out on Lake Marion last Sunday, then someone already did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Had 5-6" on third point at Washington on Friday . There were a decent amount of slush pockets as well. This cold should freeze those up nicely. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, LunkerLover84 said:

Had 5-6" on third point at Washington on Friday . There were a decent amount of slush pockets as well. This cold should freeze those up nicely. 

Just remember that frozen slush doesn't add to the ice thickness.

48 minutes ago, BringAnExtension said:

Sure wish that I had joined you out on Cannon rather than watch the Vikings game.

I thought that we played a good game , unfortunately we lost. Nothing to be ashamed of at all !!

hey guys, came across this forum and thought I'd join!  I'm typically fishing up north in the brainerd lakes area.  I got a buddy that lives in the cities and is new to fishing.  we are planning on meeting up in Faribault tomorrow to try ice fishing. can anyone give me me pointers of which lake, what depth, what colors/baits are working?  PM me if you prefer to keep it private! I'm just looking to get my buddy on a couple crappies, we wont keep more than 2 each, just enough for dinner if we can find em.  I have the Navionics app on my phone but all my fishing equipment is up north, i managed to borrow a shack, heater, and auger from another buddy but any help would be greatly appreciated.  i wont even have a vex with so i'm in desperate need of suggestions! planning on just using bobbers or jigging but gotta go buy tackle and poles just to get out tomorrow! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Had 13" ice on German this morning. 15 FOW. Did not venture out to main basin nor did I see anyone else. Few smaller perms out that wheelers pulled out. The area I fished has been used quite heavily. I suspect the ice is better there as there was no snow on the ice due to all the previous drilling. It's coming along nicely though. Good luck!

I was on German yesterday afternoon. We fished the main basin and ran into alot of slush and water under the snow. In the wettest spot we found only 5" of ice and up to 7.5" where there wasn't slush and water. At the end of the day we went over to the group in front of beaver dam to talk with some guys we knew. They had 10-12" of ice and lots of cars/trucks driving around. Hopefully nobody sees the trucks out in front of beaver dam and decides to head out to the deep water with a truck without checking ice. 

By the way the fishing sucked, but that was expected given the weather and that we didn't take any time to check depths or find fish before setting up because it was so cold.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the report on German, I was planning on hitting the main basin this week.

Yeah, fishing in this kind of cold sucks. No one has motivation to hop around and find the fish. Just set up and try to keep warm while hoping for a bite.

• Thumbs Up 1