• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Current Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports - Click Here.

I'm new to this forum and new to Lake Vermilion.  We just purchased a cabin on the west end of the lake and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can as fast as I can about the lake.

I have snowmobiles and a portable shack so I can fish almost anywhere there is good ice.  I also have a 16' wheel house that we have used extensively on Lake of the Woods.  Does anyone on the west end of Vermilion plow ice roads to allow access with my wheel house?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Chad

Welcome to FM. Send Cliff a PM. He knows Vermilion. Just click on his name in the margin, then click message, you can then send him a private email.

Welcome to FM.

Not sure if any roads get plowed out of the West end of Vermilion.

The two main roads on the East end are out of McKinley Park and Stuntz Bay.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to the forum Raven77. I've never seen an ice road on the west end of Vermilion. The best that you'll get are the staked snowmobile trails going from The Landing in Head O Lakes bay towards Wakemup and the rest of the lake. Ice conditions so far this season are marginal, even for snowmobiles.

What part of the lake did you purchase?

Noticed a "sold" sign on a Vermilion Land Office sign off Raps rd on the way out Sunday-is that you?

I saw that too. I know someone that was thinking about buying it last year but it sold. Then saw it for sale on my way in Wednesday and "sold" on Saturday. I'm referring to the one near the bottom of the hill before the road turns to snake around Ritchie Bay. Great spot.

That's the place.  Hope to meet some new friends that can show me the lake for free beer 8>).

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm real close to you-take a left on Phillips Rd (where the road curves around) that skunked mentioned.  Next spring will be our 4th year.  I've been eliminating fishy looking spots-In fact, I kind of an expert on it :).  I thought I was a pretty good walleye fisherman, but this lake is humbling me.  The west end is tough, a few slot fish, eaters are tough to come by.

If you fish for all species, it is one of the best lakes. Large mouth, smallies, pike, perch, panfish, and blue gills are all plentiful. So are musky if you care to chase them. I always have decent luck for walleyes in and around Richie and definitely find perch there. Admittedly I don't fish that bay very much though.

We are in Wakemup Village.  Mostly fish smallies along shore from pirate point or whatever the folks with the flamingos call it down towards Ritchie's.

West end walleyes are tough.

Ritchie bay is a real good starting  point  when it comes to the big v, shallow ,weeds, incoming crick, moderate depth,nice rocky points, diverse part of the lake. All species are present .Done well there over the last 36 years.Just like most spots on the lake fish the wind!Last fall I had one of the best days ever there 17 walleyes in the slot 20 thru 26 inches ,plus fought a 50 inch musky for 10 minutes with a 20 inch walleye I had hooked on a lindy rig ! I love it  when people send everyone east !!!

So Raven, once the ice is truly set up this season (definitely behind schedule so far) you could just stick your wheel house straight out from your new place. You've got a nice drop off from the bay and places to move around. Years ago someone often setup a permanent in the islands between Head of Lakes and Wakemup, but I haven't seen it in a while. That's another spot that wouldn't be far away from your place and a popular walleye hangout.

BTW - I snowmobiled out onto Richie last Thursday. I had my daughter sitting in front of me on the sled and saw a group of folks with sleds standing around near your new place. Was that you?

It sounds like the Tower guys are hoping to stake the east side this weekend.  Has anyone heard anything about the west end and when that might be staked?

Thanks for all the great tips!  We are closing in early Feb and I can't wait to get up to Vermilion and start to learn the lake.  As soon as we close I will bring the sleds and the Clam up with me and do some exploring.

I'm hoping to spend all spring and summer there and explore as much as I can.  Hope to meet some of you guys that know the lake!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chad, just took the sled out in front of your new place-very nice.  I always see people fishing just off the point in front of you-nice drop-off there.  Only a few short weeks till your new lake home owners!!  Getting ya fired up:)  as if you need it, right:)

Edited by CigarGuy
x

• 4 weeks later...

CigarGuy,  We are moved in!  Can't believe how peaceful it is.  Haven't been out fishing yet but plan to this weekend.  Stop by and say hello when you can.  I've got a white Ranger with tracks on it so you may see us out on the ice.  Last weekend we did some exploring and probably drove right by your place.

• Thumbs Up 2

Congratulations Chad!  Are you going to be living up there?  I was worried, I saw the "for sale" still on your dock and you haven't been on the site for a while.  Thought something went wrong-glad to hear it's a done deal.  It sure is beautiful and peaceful up here.  My place is a couple docks down from the wood carvings (3 bears) on the point.  Have a boat lift on shore-bottom of the mountain:).  I was up for 6 weeks and came home last Saturday.  I'm going back up middle of next week.  I get laid off for about 3 months every winter and spend as much time up there as possible. Hopefully, 4 years to go until were up there permanently. 

See ya soon! 

Bill 

Thanks Bill.  We are heading up again tomorrow to move some more things in and do a little fishing.  I plan to take the sign down.  We will be back up the weekend of the 27th to celebrate my 60th BD.   I'm recently retired and would like to live up there full time but we still have our ranch in S. MN and are not ready to make a permanent move.  Maybe in a few years.  I do plan to spend at lest 50% of my time up there.  Looking forward to meeting you!  Chad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure that Barb treated you well during the sale process.

Based on weather forecasts, it may not take as long as usual to get the ice melting and your boat in the water. I love getting in the water early as most people don't seem to even lower their docks until after opener. It's nice to boat around the lake without all the crazies.

...and happy birthday!

Tried to drive out from the Stuntz Bay ice road this morning.

Very bad shape! Found slush, water, and double ice layer. Turned back to shore after a couple of miles!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a special guest for coffee Sunday morning.  My brother in law and his GF were staying with us for the weekend.  B-in-law looks out on the bay and said "is that a dog or a wolf".  I picked up the Leicas and saw a mature wolf slowly crossing the bay about 250 yards from the cabin.  He gave us quit a show.  Big deal for my wife and B-in-laws GF as they had never seen a wild wolf before.  Hard to come home but heading back up again on Thursday!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Raven77 said:

Had a special guest for coffee Sunday morning.  My brother in law and his GF were staying with us for the weekend.  B-in-law looks out on the bay and said "is that a dog or a wolf".  I picked up the Leicas and saw a mature wolf slowly crossing the bay about 250 yards from the cabin.  He gave us quit a show.  Big deal for my wife and B-in-laws GF as they had never seen a wild wolf before.  Hard to come home but heading back up again on Thursday!

You'll see tracks all around.  I had one on my trail cam right behind my place this fall.  They killed something last winter out on the ice toward the mouth of the Partridge River and were chowing on it-didn't see them, but tracks were all over.  We hear them  howling. 

Chad, was Barb Hegg your agent?  She's was great!   I told you about our 1 day cabin shopping and making an offer same day, maybe one of her easiest sales.  Hopefully, we can meet this wknd.

Barb and Dave Heeg are great people.  As Barb was the selling agent and we did not know her we worked with Deena Congdon out of Orr.  Happened onto her by accident.  Both Deena and Barb did great jobs and the transaction went smoothly.  We had a one day transaction as well.  Dave is still finishing up some work on the cabin.  He does exceptional work.  

Stop by if you see the lights on.  My son and I are planning a long ride on the sleds Saturday.  Probably end up at the Landing Saturday late afternoon.  Might go for a shorter ride on Sunday as well.  The girls are going skiing.

When I was looking up in the kab,Crane lake area prior to Vermilion, I also used Deena.  I also looked at buying a houseboat her husband was selling.  Dave and Barb both took my wife and I out looking at properties.  Please tell them, Bill and Julie say "hi".  If I can get this to work, here's the wolf on the trail cam.

wolf.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Barb and Dave Heeg are great people.  As Barb was the selling agent and we did not know her we worked with Deena Congdon out of Orr.  Happened onto her by accident.  Both Deena and Barb did great jobs and the transaction went smoothly.  We had a one day transaction as well.  Dave is still finishing up some work on the cabin.  He does exceptional work.  

Stop by if you see the lights on.  My son and I are planning a long ride on the sleds Saturday.  Probably end up at the Landing Saturday late afternoon.  Might go for a shorter ride on Sunday as well.  The girls are going skiing.

Update 3/2/16

Heading up again tomorrow with a buddy to fish the west end.  If you see a white Ranger with tracks stop by and say hi.  You will quickly realize we do not know what we are doing.  Hot tips are appreciated and will be rewarded with a beverage of your choice.

Edited by Raven77