• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice for the Extravaganza?

I just looked at the 10 day \

As long as it doesn't snow any great amounts and I didn't see that

they could make it .......14 days

I do agree with leech though not sure why the why they don't back it up

but on the other hand they have always pulled it off except the one year to round

to bad it wasn't this week-end with game it would probably get alittle free press like yrs ago when Madden

came up here

On 1/8/2016 at 11:38 AM, campbob said:

New Press Release from the Jaycees says that they have been talking with the Sheriff Dept and monitoring ice conditions.  With the forecast, the assumption is that there will be enough ice and everyone should keep plans for the 23rd.

I wish them luck, I know it will cost them alot of money if it doesn't happen, and alot more if they wait till the last minute to decide. 

On a nearby lake it made about 3" of ice between Thursday evening and Sunday morning.  I would estimate about 3" of snow on the ice.  It was -19 yesterday morning when I left, and it looks like it was pretty close to that this morning.         

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to Qualify, this is my 26th year with this event and dealing with the ice on Gull Lake.  We made a solid 4" of ice since Friday.  With the current forecast I have no doubt that everything will go off as planned on the 23rd.  All the coffee talk is both a positive and a negative but if you are one of those who doesn't spend a lot of time on the ice or has payed attention to the past, please refrain, FISH ON!

• Thumbs Up 3

Well as the above post reads

Feb 6th

I stopped by the hwy landing yesterday ,I saw some small car left the landing and drove

out kinda out around from polmans point headed down towards Squaw point

He must have made it I havnt heard of any one going threw ,there were a half dozen portables I think way out 

close to the rock pile didn't look like any vehilces out there though

This is a real bummer but hopefully everyone understands.  While the ice making pattern was looking good for the contest site, Sheriff Dahl's primary concern was the huge increase of traffic and villages all around the lake and people not using common sense.>>Maybe it can be turned into the worlds largest superbowl tailgating party on the 6th?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, campbob said:

This is a real bummer but hopefully everyone understands.  While the ice making pattern was looking good for the contest site, Sheriff Dahl's primary concern was the huge increase of traffic and villages all around the lake and people not using common sense.>>Maybe it can be turned into the worlds largest superbowl tailgating party on the 6th?

Superbowl Tailgating Ice Fishing party does sounds pretty sweet!   

Too bad it wasn't the 23rd I am getting excited to be out there again but oh well I will be there on the 6th!

See everyone on the 6th!!

Common scence isn't always commen these days

......  Better to postpone than have a sitiuation that you cannot recover from......The smart thing to do would be reschdual for later  in the year and avoid the conflict. Again its a commen scennce thing.......

Edited by Todd Caswell

I agree wih Todd not sure why they don't just move it to the last week of the season

in Feb ...it seems every other year or so they are sweating the ice

if you did move to feb you would have a way better chance of ice every year no problem

chances of a decent day out there go up hence way bigger crowds

25-40 degrees will sell more tickets than maybe a day in the 20's if you are lucky

I fished it 17 yrs in row and don't remember to many times being comfortable out there

I think its a great contest and very good for every body involved but maybe it could be bigger and better

just a thought

Postponing was the right call.  I drove on a smaller lake in Baxter last night and was surprised to only see 11 inches . . this lake was frozen a month before Gull. 

If they permanently move the date for future events, they need to consider other fishing tourney's that may draw from it  (Eeelpput fest, DU touney on Mille Lacs, Alexandria ice fishing tourney).  Id imagine the planners for all these big events probably coordinate with each other, but I could be wrong?

ya good point the eelpout would be the big one there

I think that du is after the season any way

thing is gull is like the last lake to freeze could probably swap with the alex

I dunno I guess they know what their doing they have pulled it off for 25 yrs now...lol

just thinking out loud I guess

DU tournament is always the last Saturday of the season. So stay away jaycees don't get any ideas from these clowns :grin:

There are so many variables with moving the contest date.  Many other smaller community events around the state would have to adapt or suffer.  Major sponsors who support many events would have to make choices and smaller events would suffer.  Also it's nice to spread out the larger events statewide so people can make it to a couple rather than choose between.  All these organizers are sensitive to this.  Don't forget the original goal for the Extravaganza was to create a tourism draw and economic impact in the Brainerd Area.  Jan is one of the slowest months of the year for hotels, restaurants, gas stations etc.  This area is filled with out of towners spending money in Feb.  Hockey tournaments, good snowmobile conditions and other smaller contests around the area.  Jan is still the best way to accommodate this goal.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just came off the lake with the JC's and Sheriff Dept.  The permit was granted and everything is set for Feb 6th.  Best of luck to everyone who will be out there.  Don't forget to bring the kids out for the Youth Ice Olympics. 

• Thumbs Up 2

How did everyone do? The group I was with probably caught 22 tulibees. I ended in 52nd place so not bad. Was a great day in the ice. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It sounded like a great contest, nice weather (best ever?), especially fish wise this year.

I can't remember any year that needed a 1+lb fish to even sniff the leaderboard.  Congrats to all.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Guy in our group popped a nice eye right away and ended with a nice prize.  We had tullibees before the contest started and they disappeared when it was game time.

7 minutes ago, JP Z said:

I ended up with an Ice Force - Ice Suit, was nice yeah we were getting a lot of tullis by us.....a lot.

Good for you.  I couldn't get the Tulies to go.  I had them chasing me up and down, but never got one to commit.  

our group didnt get any  this year, we usually target the 'bees but they were not showing up as thick as normal years by us; we would get them to come in every once in awhile but wouldnt commit. we fished the SW end of the contest

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Ok, so do you think anyone has a buddies standing at the fish tent counting how many come in so they can be one of the count big prize winners?  Like 100 fish truck?  Ummm, maybe next year! ;)