• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice for the Extravaganza?

What are your predictions? I think it's not looking good. If I remember right they have only cancelled once in 25 years, hope it's not twice in 26.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you talking the perch Extravaganza on Mille Lacs ?  If so, I think you can be pretty confident there will be lots of ice in Feb. If there was an issue in past years it may have been weather related because of bad winter weather, not lack of ice.

I believe that he is talking about the 1 in Brainerd. Think it is scheduled for mid January.  That's a very good question sptitz.

As a member of The Brainerd Jaycees Extravaganza, I can say that we aren't worried at all. we have never canceled the event in 26 years. It is going to be a great year!

• Thumbs Up 3

That's a good attitude Gfishing

But realistically I drove by yesterday you can still  put a boat in gull and round was still wide open

as you guys did move it there one year but even that's looking not to likely

I fished it for like 18 yrs in row and  I think its a great event

Good luck 

If the ice isn't safe enough they will just move it back a couple weekends into February like they did a couple years back. Not a big deal and yes the show will go on.

Don't want to sound like a party pooper BUT as of 3 pm today this is your contest area. Not looking good if you look at the extended forcast.. Y'all may want to change your reservations for the alternate Feb. date..

image1%201_zpswr9ff1ub.jpg

Edited by Todd Caswell

• 2 weeks later...

As I've heard now they have to decide whether to keep it as is, move it or cancel it 10 days before the event....the clock is ticking.

Just to keep good attendance and people from whinninnng 

I think the best thing would be to back it up to that  last week-end before the season closes and hope for the best

and give folks time to change plans

From the extended forecast I've read I don't think theres any way

A very smart guy that use to own a resort on Mille Lacs for years told me that with no snow on the ice

and zero temp it would make approx. 1 in 24 hrs and if you do the math no way !!!!!!!!!

just my thoughts

• Thumbs Up 1

Could not agree with you more , Well said. I know that I would not feel comfortable out there unless I was planning a very large group Polar Plunge !!!!  

My brother cancelled our room up there today. 1 inch of ice would be made at 0 degrees if its new ice. The more ice you get the slower the ice is made at that temp. Don't know what they'll do this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

We should make somewhere between .5-1" of ice each of the next 16 days.  Accuweather is showing single digit and below zero lows starting January 7th.  As long as the snow stays away, I think we'll have plenty of ice, but it is certainly going to be cutting it close.   

Looking at the forecast what do you guys think now!?!?  Patience is a virtue...hope I snagged one of you non-believers rooms!  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Just drove by there yesterday

They are just starting to walk on the bay, gull is deep specially where they set up  

no wheelers or snowmobiles

I just cant see it happening even if its below zero till the day of contest

Didn't see any cars on round either or north long bay which has been froze over for sometime

as I said just to be contestant friendly they should  make some kind of call sooner than later

just my opinion

• Thumbs Up 3

No question at all, there will be plenty of ice for the contest.  Every website I've seen has overnight lows between now and the contest from -15 to a max of 5 above.  That is some serious ice making weather. 

2 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

No question at all, there will be plenty of ice for the contest.  Every website I've seen has overnight lows between now and the contest from -15 to a max of 5 above.  That is some serious ice making weather. 

That is very true with NO snow on the lakes , but guess what ?  There is like 6" of snow on the ground in the brainerd area.:2c:

As of last Sunday, there was very little snow left on land or the lake I was on, in Xlake area. What snow was there was thin and crusty, not fluffy anymore after that heat wave of Friday and Saturday.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Why don't they just stop playing this game every few years and just move the dang thing to 1st-2nd week of Feb? :crazy:

• Thumbs Up 1

No question at all, there will be plenty of ice for the contest.  Every website I've seen has overnight lows between now and the contest from -15 to a max of 5 above.  That is some serious ice making weather

Well they are driving all over  371 bay the way it appeared yesterday

But as some one said above they  found 8 inches on gull in SOME places

A far cry from 14 needed for the sheriffs approval

The below zero weather is good for a couple days weather this week

As they say just to little to late I don't think you make 8 inches in 2 weeks ,maybe

New Press Release from the Jaycees says that they have been talking with the Sheriff Dept and monitoring ice conditions.  With the forecast, the assumption is that there will be enough ice and everyone should keep plans for the 23rd.