Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Rick

7 Ice Fishing Facts To Help You Catch Early Season Panfish

2 posts in this topic

Matt-Johnson-Crappie-2-1024x761.jpgHave you ever wondered why crappies and sunfish, during early season ice fishing aren't in the same locations as they were the previous year. Maybe you had an experience where you were on an awesome bite one day and the next everything was gone. What happened?

Here are some clues and a number of facts that may help you and if you want to factor them into your ice fishing equation maybe these pieces of the puzzle make your ice fishing season more enjoyable.

7 Ice Fishing Facts To Help You Catch Early Season Panfish

What do YOU think?

2 people like this

I found a few folks out ice fishing in the Brainerd area and a bit south. Also received a nice pic from Chad Peterson of HSM icing a walleye.

received_892785540829604.jpeg

3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      ISO vexilar pm me what you got and price picture is preferred 

• Maxers4146
      By Maxers4146
      Hey I am looking for spots in the metro area for anything that is keeper sized, Walleye, Crappie, Bluegill, Perch. I live in eden prairie so anything in that area would be nice. If you PM me, ill give you the spot that i just caught a 27" 8.5 pound walleye that i caught last weekend. I am pretty new to ice fishing in the metro area so i don't know any spots.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Making venison jerky as healthier snack when I go ice fish! Don't get me wrong them mini doughnuts and Mountain Dew are good but they are not helping me stay alive.

• Sletten420
      By Sletten420
      Well im hoping that maybe ill be able to find a little insight as to how i can feed my ice fishing addiction on the weekend. While working all week its not that I have to travel alot to find a lake. Just that i plunged into my addiction being a novice at best. Looking for some advice on what to look for when choosing lakes and how to go about pursuit on the lake.
    • UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      Hello I am looking for this exact reel with the cork handles in left hand it is the black berry 2014 model. I really want one so if you have it pm me I will pay a decent price 

• UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      Hello, 

I am wondering if anyone knows of any small lakes or ponds in the metro that I can ice fish I know yout want to give away any of your spots so PM me and I will trade some spots. I am looking to catch bass,crappie or possibly walleye

Tight Lines!
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      What is to big of a jig for gills? I have used 1/4 oz buckshots. I have watched gills come in while jigging for pike the are not going to eat that big spoon, but they like to look. 
    • TactcialFishing
      By TactcialFishing
      Welcome Anglers,

To those who love the sport of ice fishing. We all have a story or two of the BIG ONE that got away. Now we can show the big one that didn't get away! Introducing the Crappie Coffin, the only ice fishing net on the market today. Born out of the frustration of losing that big fish at the top of the hole. I decided to go to work on a solution to this problem. The Crappie Coffin is the result of this effort. Placed in the drilled ice hole, you drop your jig down through the center of the Crappie Coffin and fish as always. The hooked fish is reeled up and enters through the one way passage at the bottom and is then trapped within the net. Also your sonar transducer will work normally placed inside the unit. No more lost fish wrapped around your transducer. Once you use the Crappie Coffin you'll never want to fish without one.

http://www.tacticalfishing.net

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Hit the ice for the first time today about 6 inches of ice and lots of slush 3-5 inches deep. The snitch handled the work load with amazing results. The busy end was the smallest pug bug with a maki mino the crappies were racing up am crushing it. The gills would come up slowly but would eat it. Had a 3 to 4 pound walleye break me off in the top of the hole.

• gunner55
      FYI 2 of the 3 landings near us were starting to look a little beat up yesterday. With the temps & moisture today along with more of same forcasted for tomorrow, I have to believe that access to the area lakes will be getting tougher.
    • Rick G
    • Rick G
      Still about 14-15 inches of ice...plenty of slop and water today. Access was very beat up when I left.
    • tipupsonly
      Anyone know what resorts are/aren't open to wheelhouse traffic this weekend? I see Hunters point and Agate bay are closed due to cracks by shore. I usually fish the east shore but might have to be open to something else.... Anyone know what resorts are/aren't open to wheelhouse traffic this weekend? I see Hunters point and Agate bay are closed due to cracks by shore. I usually fish the east shore but might have to be open to something else....
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I took a break from walleye fishing on Vermilion and decided to chase crappies for a few days to get away from the crowds. Fun and a good bite also! Cliff