• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose is getting a LAB puppy

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

July 3 

Well Finn is not the fastest runner but neither am I, so it is ok. He played fertch with the cousins lab yesterday in the lake. Shot a gun while Finn was making a retrieve and it did not phase him. Shot and tossed the dummy for both labs. Finn took to this training well and would look up after the gun shot to find the dummy. I was making both dogs wait until the dummy hit the water to retrieve it. 

Fireworks did not phase Finn either he laid down next to me and fell asleep. 

Finnlikes to use his nose so I will keep working with that at my dads in the field with the duck scent.

• 2 weeks later...

Finn is coming along great

image.jpeg

You should get him a dead fowl dummy. I like those better than just the plain bumpers

How big is he now?

I got one just did not bring it to the park

Finn like the duck dummy 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Finn is really enjoying fetching now :)!! My brother is going to help with working Finn nose and to get Finn used to looking for birds after a gunshot at the pond. 

Only thing I am having trouble with keeping Finn to stay when I toss the dummy

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Only thing I am having trouble with keeping Finn to stay when I toss the dummy

Sounds like you need to go back to the basics and work on the sit command. He needs to sit when you tell him to and not move until you release him. 

Start out without a bumper, just teaching sit. Eventually you can back up a step at a time until you are able to move all around repeating the sit command. Once he has that down you can bring the bumper back into the mix. Get him to sit and take a few steps back and toss the bumper a foot or two away and pick it up. He needs to know that he doesn't get it every time. If he breaks when you pick it up, you need to keep repeating this.  While you are doing this you also need to mix in a few throws and let him chase after it right away to keep his interest up. Once he starts steadying you can start with short tosses, keeping your body between him and the bumper and release him at your call. Once he has this down you can go with longer throws and releasing him from your side. 

Try to keep it small with baby steps until he has it all down and there will not be an opportunity for failure. If things aren't going well just take a step back and continue solidifying the sit command. 

In addition to regular training, I work on the sit command at every feeding.  They have to wait until their food is dished up and bowls on the floor before I release them.   This is Lindy at 12 weeks patiently waiting. She was easy to teach sit and has held steady for her bowl since 8 weeks. She's still not steady on longer throws unless I'm out in front of her. 

IMG_20160724_180050704.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Matt I also make Finn sit and wait until put his food down and step away then I release him

Sounds like you are on the right track, you just need to keep reinforcing sit. I made the mistake of getting a little lax on my older dog when I trained her and she would break at the shot more often than not, usually when more pheasants are flushing or more ducks coming in. I'm staying more consistent with my new pup and things are going well.  It helps that she's a quick learner. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Matt Finn is smarter than his trainer he is doing well with it he breaks the first few times but I can call him back. He is staying more often than not now!! I will keep working him at the park but will try introduce the gun in August that will happen at my dads 

• 2 weeks later...

Well Finn waits to be released now. Working on blind retrieves and following scent trails.

• 2 weeks later...

Finn likes watching hunting shows with me!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

People walking their dogs are amazed Finn keeps fetching and does not chase them even when their dog is barking at Finn. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Looking good! What does he weigh now? If you are interested in a neoprene vest to hide all that white hair from the ducks I have a 3xl Avery vest in good shape from my last dog I'm thinking of selling. My new pup is only about 25 lbs at 16 weeks so there's no way she's going to grow into it. 

Matt i don't know forsure my guess is 85 plus he is starting to fill out some. I would be interested 

Matt how is your pup coming along

I'll pull that vest out of the shed and get some pictures. Its hardly used since I didn't use it early season and didn't hunt much late season. 

This is Maggie back in her prime. I would say she was in the 80-90 lb range and the vest was a bit snug so it may not even fit Finn if he's still growing and filling out. FB_IMG_1445615215242.jpg

My 16 week old pup is doing amazing. She tests my patience quite often, but is so easy to train. Her attention span is pretty short yet so we only make it 10-15 minutes but she catches on so fast. Today I introduced a double for the first time. The first try she was a bit confused which one to go after, but performed flawlessly the second go round. Other than that we have been taking it slow and working on obedience and building drive. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Takes up the whole couch

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finn is getting the hang of getting ducks. I should have practiced before season

Finn next to a 87 pound lab.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well Finn needed a walk and I needed one as well. We went to my dads place looking for and birds geese, ducks, grouse, and pheasants we found some fresh pheasant tracks and we followed the in the swamp but it is not frozen yet. So I called Finn off and found another set and that rooster beat us in to the swamp Finn turned black from the mud. We had fun but we are both resting now.IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

• 1 month later...

Well Finn is doing well. He is filling out nicely now. Only thing is he is a chicken! Went fishing with my uncle and Finn was scared of him and when @river rat316 came over Finn ran back inside with his tail tucked between his legs. Thinking of taking Finn out a game farm to get him more experience with pheasants. 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:19 AM, monstermoose78 said:

Well Finn is doing well. He is filling out nicely now. Only thing is he is a chicken! Went fishing with my uncle and Finn was scared of him and when @river rat316 came over Finn ran back inside with his tail tucked between his legs. Thinking of taking Finn out a game farm to get him more experience with pheasants. 

I did that with tango and saw a world of difference ... I started at Sand Pines and they helped me tons. The kid brought me out kept all the pheasants caged and would plant one at a time in a easy spot where I could see where he planted. I would let tango out we would flush it shoot retrieve come back I would put him in the car and we did that 3 times. After that he then planted the rest of the ones I bought and we found all but one. Next spot I brought him was Golden Meadows and they were helpful as well I had them flag the general area the pheasants were planted. I went there a couple times and each time they used less flags and planted the birds farther away from the flags they did have out. Until the last time I went used no flags at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...