• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose is getting a LAB puppy

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

@ZachD please keep me posted on Tango's progress at training. One of my uncles who retired and has trained many amazing labs told me he would train Finn if I would like.

Will do I am heading there this Sunday for the first visit. First one is after 2 weeks then every week after that. I am excited to see his progress so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finn is regressing this week by peeing on the floor and not listening. It is pressing my  patients to the limit. He was doing so well up until this week.

image.jpeg

Bummer is he doing it when you are home? Do you crate him when you are away or let him roam?

When I am home in front ofme

Well Moose had my first visit with Tango on Sunday.. Man what a difference in just 2 weeks.

He walks almost perfect now glued to your side on leash. He has a tree stand down low to the ground by the pond and knows spot to go where you tell him and sit there still. His retrieving has gotten way better. Has whistle command to stop and look back and wait for command to go again for when he starts to hunt too far ahead. Retrieving he is coming straight back every time sometimes before he would veer off to the right side of me when bringing back. Before we were having trouble with him still nipping/mouthing us we noticed that has stopped as well.

All in all I am very pleased I told him its amazing how different he acts now and he said just wait till a couple more weeks.

This week he is going to introduce e collar and start working him in the field working on his nose. We are focusing more on upland birds as I don't waterfowl that much.

During our visit you can really tell Jeff knows his stuff so far I am really glad we chose him!

Will give you another update next week Moose hope Finn is doing well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finn said not today Dad!!

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Finn is now  neutered and hates me

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

haha poor guy.. If you don't want to deal with the big cone they make one that is basically a big donut that goes around there neck. Tango did way better with the donut type than the cone. Just a thought if he has problems with it.

Had another visit with Tango today hes now in week 3 of training and man Jeff does an awesome job we did some work with dead birds and he introduced him to gun today in front of us didn't even phase him retrieved like a champ! Hes going to start working him in the field and off leash training this week. He told me he has tons of horse power and has the energy of all the dogs combined that hes training right now and that I am going to have to force him to take breaks hunting because he will want to go and go and go untill he drops.

He is getting really muscular too hes looking really good he was only 30 pounds when we dropped him off and now he is 42 he think he will get to 60-70 he said it just seems like he's hitting his growth spurt a little later than normal he has way longer legs now and just has to fill out more now. I forgot my phone in the truck but will try to take a video next week. You wont regret bringing Finn there at all! Tango listens so well now and he's not even halfway done.

here is what that donut looks like if hes having trouble with the cone

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(3).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finn knew I was having a rough day and was so good. He gave me hugs and laid next to me all evening. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well my uncle flaked out like normal so I have been working with Finn. He has good days but he seems to be having more bad days as of late. I think he is testing his limits. I also am not letting him get away with being naughty. 

Moose - Finn is a teenager now.  Dogs at this age become dumb, stubborn, rebellious - whatever the right term is.  Most dogs hit this stage but the good news is they usually grow out of it.  Keep up the good work and you will soon be rewarded.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finn destroyed his new toy

image.jpeg

I took Finn with me turkey last night. He did great for an hour and half but the puppy in him wanted to move around. It was good pratice for duck hunting to sit and stay still for long keriods of time.

Ok update two toms gobbling one to the east one to the west

14 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I took Finn with me turkey last night. He did great for an hour and half but the puppy in him wanted to move around. It was good pratice for duck hunting to sit and stay still for long keriods of time.

Ok update two toms gobbling one to the east one to the west

Just a heads up 

GENERAL RESTRICTIONS

Wild turkeys may not be taken with the aid of dogs. No person may be accompanied by a dog or dogs while hunting or assisting in hunting wild turkeys.

That is dumb rule!! What if someone has a helper dog or in Finns case he just sat in my blind. I did not use him to assist he just came with.

Ya but I can see where they are coming from if you are walking out of the woods with a turkey in one hand and dog by your side how do they know that the dog was just sitting in the blind. I am not sure about the helper or emotional support dog maybe send the dnr an email and ask.

Just letting you know its in the books though

• Thumbs Up 1

No worries I guess Finn will not get to go turkey hunting any more. Unless I get as emotional support dog training as well

Even then I don't know if they would let you but I guess you could ask.. I don't think you even need training for emotional support I think you just need a doctor sign off and pay a fee with register papers... They don't have to same rules as a guide dog as i think stores and stuff can tell you to leave. I think with emotional support dog only thing is you can fly with them and if you rent they have to let the animal stay.

Most sites that offer it have "online doctors" and really are just in it for money as you can register any animal and they will send you a certificate and a vest.

I am not worried I just took Finn out with one time. Plus I got my turkey the next morning with Finn sleeping at home. On the way out Finn and I watched the family of geese swimming in the pond

Ya I wouldn't be too worried was just giving you a head up for the future. Congrats on the turkey I have not been out much the guy who runs my machine on 2nd shift passed away and I have been covering part of his work load for 2 weeks working 12 hour shift. Hopefully I can get out for the tail end hunt coming up though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

The video would not work

image.png

My wife said Finn is not allowed to go to training. So I wasted the down payment. I will be working with Finn scents this week .

19 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

My wife said Finn is not allowed to go to training. So I wasted the down payment. I will be working with Finn scents this week .

That's a bummer when was he suppose to go? Shoot if I would have known  could have maybe had Tango take his place for advance training