• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose is getting a LAB puppy

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

The puppies are 16 days old and I can not pick one until they are 4 weeks. I have been told. It will be a yellow/white one and a male. I know this a shocker to some seeing I have an awesome pair pointing of Chihuahuas, but they can't handle ducks. They sure try to bring grouse back, but takes a long time. I am open for tips on training and whatever else you think would be helpful for me to know. I will post photo's of the pup when I get my hands on it. I am excited to get a waterfowl dog again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome.  I've had six dogs and am just an amateur trainer.  Every dog I train I learn so many new things.  I believe watching dog training videos is much more beneficial than reading books (but reading books is fun too).  

Tip #1-get obedience down first before you get into all of the "hunting" things.  I had my first lab that could run blind retrieves like a champ but wouldn't sit still in the duck boat. Why?  I glossed over obedience in my enthusiasm to not have to throw shotgun shells or rocks out to get the dog to retrieve.

Tip #2-learn how to communicate clearly with this dog.  Seems a lot of frustration and failure comes from bad communication to the dog, it's a dog not a human.

and have fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

Congrats on the new pup !! I think one of the first  things you will have to do is teach the new guy not to retrieve your Chihuahuas!

• Thumbs Up 1

Tomorrow is the day I get to pick a puppy out.  It will still be 4 weeks before he comes home with me.  Any of you heard of putting a pup on its back to see how it reacts? A family member says if they remain calm it will be easier to train and if it flips out leave for someone else to have.  I am excited to meet my future hunting partner and can't wait to become best of friends.  Our pointing Chihuahua's are acting different they can tell something is going on. 

I have been thinking about sending this pup to trainer any one have experience with that? 

This will be my new hunting partner. @river rat316 I hope he can find our ducks

puppy.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

On November 21, 2015 3:50:15 PM, monstermoose78 said:

Tomorrow is the day I get to pick a puppy out.  It will still be 4 weeks before he comes home with me.  Any of you heard of putting a pup on its back to see how it reacts? A family member says if they remain calm it will be easier to train and if it flips out leave for someone else to have.  I am excited to meet my future hunting partner and can't wait to become best of friends.  Our pointing Chihuahua's are acting different they can tell something is going on. 

I have been thinking about sending this pup to trainer any one have experience with that? 

Moose-  My thoughts and what I've read.  Looks like you already picked it but for the future or for others.  Pick a pup based on the parents first.  I think Wolters said to do that and then go grab one that's the sex you want.  Pup may have just taken a nap and is tired but actually not mellow.  In the 15-30 minutes you observe the pup who knows what mood the pup is in.  

I bought a pup once and the gal asked what we were looking for.  I questioned her and she said that since she's watching them every day she gets a pretty good idea on how they will be.  Actually, she nailed it.  That dynamic could change though if you have multiple dogs at home, which doesn't pertain to you right now.

btw-  what's the name going to be?  

Finn will be his name

Love that name and one syllable.  I made a dumb move and ended up with three dogs all starting with the same letter; Brit, Boomer (Boo), and Belle.  Many times I confuse their names as though I have eight kids and can't remember their names.  

• Thumbs Up 1

With a name like Finn  I am sure when gets in trouble the name  will stretch out to "FIN NA GINNNNN"

• Thumbs Up 1

Still 2 weeks before I will get the little guy. I am excited to get him home and love him. I am going to send him to school once he is old enough. I have been looking but it depends on where I end up with a job. most place say about 6 months they will take a pup to start training. Any thoughts on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got Finn home yesterday. I think I got 2 hours of sleep maybe. The Chihuahua's are not impressed with Finn. It is nap time for me I will post some pictures later.

He just got done playing with neighbors Ole English Bulldog. I will be working on retrieving 

Finn-2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Beautifull looking pup moose looks like a future hunter. There will be some fun years ahead.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Beautifull looking pup moose looks like a future hunter. There will be some fun years ahead.

Thank you and I am hoping so IceHawk . Some of his litter is already retrieving  I will be working on the basics and some retrieving so far he just bonding with me and house breaking, 

1 hour ago, Weathertite said:

Just wondering if you get to Nap when he does ? Lol ;)

Nope the wife had a list of things to get done for me today

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I think I should have named Finn (Moose Jr) he is so much like me. Awkward and clumsy he runs and the smacks his head into the everything. He rolls around when sleeping like me and snores like a chain saw. He eats fast and drinks like me as well. My wife is not overly thrilled to have a mini me but in a puppy, but it does not matter I love him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finn is doing well he has the sit command down. I am working on come command and he has knows his name. I think he tunes me out from time to time. Still dealing with him mouthing everything, but that is what puppies do. He is not mouthing me but he sure likes to mouth my wife. I hope Finn likes ice fishing as much as I do. 

Finn-7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Well Finn was doing so good and then he decided he does not want to listen any more. He looks at me and pees on the floor just to let me know he can do it. I have to limit his the amount of water, because my wife kept filling his water dish and he drank 4 dish fulls. Every 10 minutes he was peeing, so the wife got a talking to about filling the dish.

Took Finn into the vet yesterday for his shots and the vet omg you are going to have very large lab. At 9 weeks he is 23.5 pounds. They said he is not fat but just big.  They told me to keep feeding him the way I am and that he seems to be doing very good for being so young.  He goes to the door when he needs to go out now and still pees small amounts in the house when the chihuahuas put him in his place. I am hoping to figure out how to prevent this, but the chihuahuas need to let Finn know who is boss now, Because in a few more weeks they will not be able to put Finn in his place. I am getting my wife to show Finn she is also his boss.  

It amazes me how much Finn is like me. Snores, restless, always wants food, drinks like a sailor, and has smelly farts. I love this little dog and he melts my heart even when he is naughty.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Finn is coming along nicely in my eyes, but in my wife's eyes he is a pain in the butt. She needs to remember his still a puppy and has a lot of learning to do. Finn is really good about going to go potty now. I have him fetch 3 times in a row then we move on to something else. Finn likes meeting new dogs and people. He played with the neighbor kids for half hour yesterday outside. He slept like a log last night. I have the nephews over today and they have been playing with Finn all morning. Finn is now taking a nap. 

Finn is now 12 weeks old I am not sure how much he weighs, but I know he almost double the size he was at 9 weeks. I am deciding on which school to send him for his hunting training. I am also putting some money away for the cost of the training. Finn will be going in next week to the vet to get his next batch of shots and I will find out how big he is. I will post some pictures some time this week maybe today even.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I see a pheasant machine in the making! :) He is a good looking pup moose

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

I see a pheasant machine in the making! :) He is a good looking pup moose

Thank you IceHawk, He better get a few pheasants for me and ducks.

• 2 weeks later...

Look into Water fall labs in Andover, Elk river kennels, Stevenson Gun Dog & Obedience
They all three looked like good places. I chose Stevenson Gun Dog & Obedience I Ramsey for tango. He leaves March 27th

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks @ZachD I will look into them,.  

Well Finn went to the vet for his last round of shots except for one more limes shot in 3 weeks. Finn is 13 weeks old and tips the scales at 35.5 pounds. I could be looking at 100 pound lab in the future, but that is ok with me we are a perfect match.