• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Use bow to fill gun tag during gun season?

79LumaCraft

Our location for gun season is no longer going to work for my son and I, so this weekend we'll be staying on the land we hunt with bow-only (landowner's request). Can my son use his firearms tag on a deer he shoots with his bow? I can't find that clearly laid out in the regs, though I can't imagine why that wouldn't be allowed. Figured I'd fire this question out there in case I'm completely missing a reason why this wouldn't be allowed. 

I am guessing it's not legal. You cant use a gun to fill a bow tag, why would you be able to fill a gun tag with a bow? Your idea makes sense to me, but its about money and selling more licenses.  Maybe I am wrong?

You can use a muzzleloader, so why not a bow? You'd be making harder, not easier. I'm sure you'd have to wear blaze orange, though.

Talked to DNR, License is based on weapon used. Firearm license (tag) can only be filled using a firearm. Deer taken with a bow can only be used with an archery (tag) license. You Cannot tag a firearm weapon deer tag with a deer that is taken with a Bow. Did not ask about muzzleloader so you might check as there is a special muzzleloader license in Minnesota.

DNR phone number is 615-296-6157

• Thumbs Up 2

as I thought you can use a firearm only to tag using the firearm tag.  You could use a muzzleloader in the firearms season but only can use a muzzleloader in the muzzy season and you can only use a bow tag to tag a deer killed with a bow

Dang. Thanks guys. Here's hoping we have so much activity these next two days that I'm really disappointed in this news!

not that big of a deal...use the bow tag and if you don't have one pick one up.  end result is you are out $26 for the cost of the unused gun tag. 

no you cannot use crossbow to fill a firearms tag as they are under archery equipment and you must use an archery tag on a deer shot by a crossbow or any other kind of bow.

On 11/10/2015, 11:38:11, ozzie said:

no you cannot use crossbow to fill a firearms tag as they are under archery equipment and you must use an archery tag on a deer shot by a crossbow or any other kind of bow.

This is not accurate.  Look at p. 23 of the hunting regulations: 

"Can I hunt with a crossbow?"

-  Persons age 60 and over with a valid "archery" tag may take a deer.

- Persons hunting with a regular "fire arms" license may take a deer [with a crossbow] during the respective firearms season.

- Disabled persons with a permit and valid archery license may take a deer during archery season. 

Thus, my original point is if you can fill your firearms tag with a crossbow it doesn't make much sense not to allow the use of bow to fill a firearm tag as it is much more difficult. 

• Thumbs Up 2

well I guess I stand corrected!!  My apologies!!  I guess you learn something new everyday...Very surprised as they have always classified crossbow as archery equipment and I was under the impression no archery equipment could be used with a firearms tag. 

Since you cant use a crossbow during archery season unless the above apply they consider it a "firearm" kinda odd but I think this is the second year its been like that

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to making sense, "Government" seems to be very good at lacking in sense. Point is: its still a law. A bow, excluding crossbow is not permitted as a "firearm" and can only be used during archery season with an archery license. Law is Law. I am also not sure why a hunter would purchase a Firearm license and than hunt with a bow. Seems a bit naïve.

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/15/2015, 8:42:30, papadarv said:

When it comes to making sense, "Government" seems to be very good at lacking in sense. Point is: its still a law. A bow, excluding crossbow is not permitted as a "firearm" and can only be used during archery season with an archery license. Law is Law. I am also not sure why a hunter would purchase a Firearm license and than hunt with a bow. Seems a bit naïve.

for the extra challenge possibly? last year I had a buck only gun tag and an archery tag that I could use for either sex.  I carried both weapons to the blind during gun season because it was the only way I would've been able to take a doe.  But, I could've taken a buck with either weapon if I chose to.

Edited by wannafish2
added additional
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2015, 12:25:29, wannafish2 said:

for the extra challenge possibly? last year I had a buck only gun tag and an archery tag that I could use for either sex.  I carried both weapons to the blind during gun season because it was the only way I would've been able to take a doe.  But, I could've taken a buck with either weapon if I chose to.

Just an observation. You say you would use a bow to fill a firearm tag "for the extra challenge" yet you brought both weapons to the stand during the firearms season when the bow qualified you for both sexes. 

Might be wrong but when I last checked with the DNR MN you cannot have both weapons with you. You have to have one or the other. Going to double check with them today but do not think you can bring both weapons into the woods. Not in MN

From the DNR today

No you cannot. That is considered a mixed weapon, and that is not allowed. You will need to choose one or the other.

MNDNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Rd

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

651-296-6157

1-888-646-6367

• Thumbs Up 1

another stupid rule by our DNR...unless you can explain to me why that rule would even need to exist I don't understand why a person would not be able to carry a gun and a bow at the same time if licensed to hunt with both and the seasons were both open.  Anyone care to try to explain this rule?

Sounds to me the best person to explain it to you would be someone at the Mn Dnr. I believe that they have a phone number you can call just to have questions like this answered. Hope this helps.   Mike

frankly, while I think its odd I've never pondered doing it and therefore beyond curiosity it doesn't effect me at all and I'm sure others.  I've seen multiple hunting shows where a guy brings a bow and a rifle caribou hunting and the guy always kills one with the rifle after one encounter that didn't work with the bow.

not a big deal I just posed the question to see if there was something obvious that I was overlooking for a reason they created a law like that.

ozzie on a related topic could a guy bring two muzzleloaders out and sit in the stand with both?  I know elk hunting in a state where the hunter would bring two guns.  Seemed at odd with the spirit of using a "primitive weapon" but it was legal in that state.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2015 at 8:53 AM, Hoyt4 said:

From the DNR today

No you cannot. That is considered a mixed weapon, and that is not allowed. You will need to choose one or the other.

MNDNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Rd

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

651-296-6157

1-888-646-6367

This is funny, I've asked this very question for carrying a bow and gun. I was told as long as I'm licensed for both and both seasons are open it is completely legal. Now where do we go for questions when we've been told two different answers for the same question ?

• 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, schmoe147 said:

This is funny, I've asked this very question for carrying a bow and gun. I was told as long as I'm licensed for both and both seasons are open it is completely legal. Now where do we go for questions when we've been told two different answers for the same question ?

I know this is old but I will answer it anyway

It says in black and white in the regulation book.

• Except those licensed to carry a concealed weapon, a person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a firearm.

So unless you have a ccw you better not have a firearm on you while bow hunting

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:07 AM, ZachD said:

I know this is old but I will answer it anyway

It says in black and white in the regulation book.

• Except those licensed to carry a concealed weapon, a person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a firearm.

So unless you have a ccw you better not have a firearm on you while bow hunting

I was told as long as both seasons are Open( Archery and Firearm) and I have a valid license for each (Archery and Firearm) both can be in possession.  The regulation book is a reference. they ultimately go off statues. I email all my questions and ask for an answer from someone who can legally answer the question. What you are referring to in the regulation book is carrying a gun during archery seaon alone. Yes that is illegal without a CC.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, schmoe147 said:

I was told as long as both seasons are Open( Archery and Firearm) and I have a valid license for each (Archery and Firearm) both can be in possession.  The regulation book is a reference. they ultimately go off statues. I email all my questions and ask for an answer from someone who can legally answer the question. What you are referring to in the regulation book is carrying a gun during archery seaon alone. Yes that is illegal without a CC.

The only reason they allow you to have a gun while archery hunting deer is if you have a ccw. They did this because if they didn't it would impede on your rights to carry.

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.

You are correct, your friend is not. Even having both licenses, a person can't have both weapons with them at the same time. That person would need to choose which weapon and license to use, can’t do both hunts with both weapons at the same time.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions either by email or by calling 888-646-6367 M-F 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and on Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.