• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Thermal Shack

fishingman054

I am looking at getting a new thermal shack to replace my clam quick flip 3.  I am very unimpressed with the frame work that clam, frail and eskimo have now a days,  the clips are plastic and the "thermal" canvas does not look that great.  when you sit inside you can see through all of the holes it was sewed through and the thermal is no t very thick.  does anyone have a recommendation on other options?

I believe the best shack is the one you are most comfortable in. The so called "thermal" canvas is not canvas. Almost all thermal material used in any of the Thermo Ice Shacks is a denier fabric somewhere between 300 and 600 thread. (same measurement as the sheets on your bed). The higher the number the more thread pre inch. Its very light weight, tough and usually water proof. Anytime a hole is punched through material to pull thread, you will see the hole. The diamond pattern is necessary to keep the insulation material in place making them "Thermal". All have about the same R-factor. All the support shaft is fiberglass and the hubs are made of steel. The tie-downs have both plastic and web strapping which is very strong.

I have an Eskimo 949I that set up on Ottertail 2013, tied to my truck in -18 temp, 31 mph sustained wind with gust to 51 mph. viability about 100 yards at sunset. I use 1 sunflower heater 8000 to 14000 BTU and we were comfortable. Still use it today so the conditions did not destroy it. My buddy has the Clam 6 pack insulated which also heated with 1 dual Mr. heater 4000 to 18,000 BTU and always comfortable even at -20 deg. on LOTW. Just sitting in one at a dealer or show really does not give your the total value. You need to be on the ice. I did add a portable thin underlayment floor to my Eskimo which made a world of difference in comfort.

Ottertail 2013

IMG_1295.thumb.JPG.d5ca20de2c23f59d15460

You do get a bit of frost when temp is < -10, but still comfortable. Nephew is young and wares that hat all summer.

100_5403.thumb.JPG.c77c693a655756415e1cb

I just I just looked at a new thermal tec Otter yesterday and the new fabric is done in a way you don't get the pinholes of light coming in like the competitors.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly suggest a Otter Pro Series. The new Thermal Tech will take what was already a super warm house and make it even better. New this year on the pro series is a back zipper door as well. I think when you compare all the thermal houses out there Otter will stand out to you. Look at them on their website. www.otteroutdoors.com

• 3 weeks later...

It all depends on what kind of fisherman you are. Personally I own a scout xl thermal and a jason mitchell hub thermal. I have buddies who have the x2 by clam and although its kinda heavy as most thermals are it will defenitely be my next thermal. As far as the scout xl thermal its pretty legit I do a lot of hole hoppin and the fact that the poles are stationary and never have to adjust them saves me time and I can truley be mobile. The thermal pop ups are awesome they have there time and place and mostly I just use them for the poeple who dont want to hole hop and just wanna hang out and fish which is fine with me. The biggest northern I ever got in my life came outtaa mine the first time I used it. They hold heat which if we all remeber with the first hubs wasnt the case. I think all manufactures will be going thermal as the new standard. There are a lot of good thermals but for me its the x2, jason mitchell hub and the scout xl.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an Eskimo 949I and really like it use it for spearing and is plenty dark even with how the thermal is sown into the house.

• Thumbs Up 2

I bought an Otter Pro this year.  I went from being a lifelong Clam guy to the Otter.  I have not been on the ice, obviously, but just setting it up and sitting in it, it feels and looks like a much superior product.  I am very excited to get out on the lakes with it.  I know where you can get one for less than the big box stores sell them.  If interested shoot me a message.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have the Jason Mitchell flip over and it is awesome. The light bar inside is amazing and there is no need for my lantern any more. I have fished in -15 degree range without any issues. It is tall enough that I can stand up inside to stretch and I am just over 6'4. Yes it is heavy but I my friends 10 year old kid pulled it half way across a lake. He was just so excited to be able to go fishing. I have not had to turn my heater to high yet with this house. I really like the minnow buckets that came with this house with the twist on lids and gasket to prevent leaking. With 27 square feet of fishing area it allow 2 anglers to have enough room to fish 2 lines if you want too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a portable from Canvas Craft.  I believe the material to be thicker and it keeps me plenty toasty with just the pilot light from the Mr. Buddy on.  You might want to check them out.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe that the "pinholes" that are in the fabric are intentional. It allows for more sunlight to reach inside the shack therefor reducing the need to carry a lantern during the daytime hours. I may be wrong, but I do remember just hearing about this not very long ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Clam X2 Thermal and debated between this model and the Otter. I chose the Clam unit because the customer service is top notch!

I have also been impressed with all my other buddies regular X2 shelters. I am hard on my equipment and have yet to have any issue at all with my thermal X2.

Now am I saying the otters are bad??? Nope, they make a good unit as well. You honestly can't go wrong with any of them. They're all good otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

The pinholes in the fabric are NOT an issue and I have been out in some pretty cold weather with mine. Big buddy heater on low in -10 degree weather is all I have ever needed.

I have a Eskimo quick flip three and was looking at up grading to thermal when my dad called on of his Jobers, he did upholstery (retired) they had thermal material on hand. so the next time I went to the cities I bought the material needed to redo the old Eskimo $250 dollars in material and a few ours helping my dad in his shop we now have a very nice thermal shack. my dad figured he would have charged about $250-$350  to do the job. that's a lot cheaper than a $1000 -$1200 for the same size shack

I also have a quick flip 3 and am trying to figure out a good way to insulate it without spending a lot of money or buying a newer/different house that is insulated.  I have reflectix on the inside now, I'm not really impressed. It is hard to fold down right so it isn't bent or kinked when opening back up. 

I thought about getting some surplus blankets from FF and sewing them on the inside or attach another way to see how that would work. Has anyone tried that? 

With the insulation that you sewed in, did you have to adjust the poles to accommodate the added bulk? Was that not necessary? 

I'm a otter guy. I have owned two otter fish houses in the last 15 years and they are very nice. I bought the thermal lodge three years ago and i love it.

On November 15, 2015 at 4:41 PM, old_school said:

if you want a one man house get the clam legend thermal

Stitching came apart on my buddies, but otherwise it looked nice.

Otter hands down

I have a clam legend thermal. A thermal shelter is far superior to a none thermal. 

haven't had problems with the stitching coming apart on this one but my commandpost the stitching is coming apart allover even brought it to a shop to have it restricted.  I do like my legend and can't beat the lights that come with it very bright in side at night.  I don't care much for the plastic clips on the poles. The old metal buttons clips seems to work better to me.

I had the very first fish trap II with a heavy canvas and still have it.  I left Clam when they had that cheap,thin canvas on there voyager series and went to an otter cabin.  I know this isn't comparing apples to apples with the new models but it left a nasty taste in my mouth.  Will I ever go back in the future? Maybe but Otter just seems to be made better from the sled up in my opinion.

• 11 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Sill lovin my Jason Mitchell 

IMG_0784.JPG

A Eskimo 949i here too. The price & the room alone sold us. We have a Little Buddy heater that doesn't get used very much

Another 949i vote. 

I have a two piece folding floor for spearing another for regular fishing. I will admit that I don't like it for fishing solo. Too big. But for two people fishing or up to four people spearing, it can't be beat. 

I've got the Eskimo 6120i and love how easy it is to set up and the shelter keeps my family warm and comfortable out on the ice. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I like my thermal Otter Lodge if I trailer to the lake.  IMO a flip over is going to allow you quick setup and take down.

For that reason our more likely to bug and hit another spot.

This year I wanted something I can load on the snowmobile and travel long distance where pulling the Otter isn't possible or practical.

It had to be small and insulated.  What I sacrificed weight and bulk wise with the insulated I gain in using a smaller heater to carry and comfort.  Because I might only use this in a few situations I wasn't going to go all out.

I picked up and Eskimo 2i hub.  I've used it once and its going to work out for what I want it for but it isn't a runner or gunner.

I sold my Otter XTH Lodge this winter and picked up two Clam Kenai Pro Thermal flip-overs.

I really love the mobility of the flip-overs because I catch more fish out of them, but that Otter hub house was excellent in every way aside from that. 

I'm pretty sure Otter Thermal fabric is superior to Clam Thermal fabric. Just go into the store and feel them side by side. 

• 3 years later...