• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A Great Day After Being Gone a Month....

Mark,

Glad that you are back on the forum and back on the water! Best therapy that there is!

Good luck in the medical problems that your family has been having.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Missed your reports, glad to see you are back and I wish the best for your family on the medical issues.

Edited by chaffmj
  • Thumbs Up 1

We've all missed your reports. Not to discourage others from posting (I encourage them!) but no one writes like you- it's like Sports Afield. It's great to have you back on the lake. I was afraid something was wrong when I didn't see you on the forum or on the water. My thoughts are with you. 

Dick

• Thumbs Up 1

Mark:  My thoughts are with you as well on your family issues. Great report as always & as Dick said your reports are always a great read

Mark,

I hope that everything works out ok and welcome back.  I will be making my last trip to the Big V this weekend for open water this year.  Could you or anyone else offer any tips?  With the cooler weather, I imagine that minnows will be the ticket but I will also bring some crawlers.   Will reefs still be good or would you be looking more main lake structure.   Also, when you mention main lake structure, are islands also included?  I am sorry for all the questions but obviously, I need all the help I can get.  

dj,

About 1/2 of the walleyes that we caught yesterday were caught on crawlers!

Chubs and pike suckers caught the rest.

Jigs or lindy rigs both are catching fish.

We caught fish from 18 feet to 47 feet deep. The bigger fish came out of the deeper water on jigs/minnows.

Steep drop offs or deeper holes were the main areas that I fished.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Still using those uncle josh pork crawlers cliff?

I did not try the pork crawlers yesterday, probably should have though, as they were hitting 1/2 crawler in that spot better then they were hitting a minnow!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Mark,

The fall bite is certainly beginning to shape up now!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 3

I got back to the lake yesterday and my wife and I got back out this morning. 55 degree water at the dock when we pulled out about 7:30. I decided to try a couple deep water fall spots on the east end. The travel was cool, to say the least, and it was way more comfortable using gloves. Fall colors are evident everywhere now and, with the sound of shotguns in the distance, there is no question winter is not far off. I decided to try a rock reef that rises to 14' with gradual contours on 3 sides and a sheer cliff on the 4th side that drops abruptly from 14' to 40'! An east wind gradually built throughout the morning and as the wind got brisker, the fish moved shallower. Unfortunately, the 30' water on up is very rocky and my wife had a real problem with snags. Before we finally decided to move to friendlier waters, we managed to boat 7 walleyes up to 16.5" and 2 jumbos. One of the jumbos was 13.5"! We had lots of hits and all of the walleyes were keeper sized eaters. It helps to bring the fish up slowly from water over 30' and none of our fish had a blown out bladder. We used our standard bottom bouncer rig and baited with minnows exclusively.

I decided to travel back home to calmer waters, so we tried Banana Island on our way back. It's a favorite spot for us since we're looking at our docks while fishing. I suppose the fact that we've caught 2 fish over 30" there in the past few years has something to do with it also. Anyway, my wife baited with 1/2 crawler and I stuck with minnows. The walleyes were scattered over an area that maintained a steady 20' depth. We caught walleyes and jumbos with the biggest walleye being 14". The average walleye here was an age class smaller than the deeper water to the east. Lots of fun and fantastic for lunch.

The lake bird life was active again today with lots of young loons, eagles, and ducks observed flying and bobbing around the lake. One of these years, I'm going to get the perfect picture of the Canfield Bay lighthouse in full fall color. As of now, I'm still working on it.

Good Fishing,

MarkB:)

Mark, 

You're  a genius Vermilion fisherman.  I don't think there are many that would disagree and we surely appreciate any and all input.  Love it....

Great post Mark!  I'll be up there tomorrow. The last 4+ weekends have been great.  I love the fall!

Dan

• Thumbs Up 2

You are sure making me wish we hadn't had to close up Sunday! Great report that makes me miss the lake even more. One more thing might add to a perfect fall: it looks like you'll have a good chance to see northern lights overhead in the next few nights, especially Friday night. Us older guys have a natural alarm clock to get up and check for them. 

I wish you all well on the lake. Keep us dry-landers in mind and keep posting the news,

Dick

• Thumbs Up 4

Thanks to all who post and it is great to see the pictures.  Had to close shop a few weeks ago and went out but the fishing wasn't as good as the scenery or weather.  Keep the pictures coming and stay safe on the lake.   Don

Finally getting up there late next week after being gone all summer. Glad to hear the fish are really starting to turn on. Looking forward to eating some fresh walleye again. Just hope the weather cooperates and gives me highs at least in the 50s but that's not looking to be the case!

At least not all was lost this summer, spent it night fishing on Lake Ontario. If you're ever out east I highly recommend it. Average walleye was right around 5 lbs! Fattest walleyes I've ever seen and saw them caught up to a little over 12lbs. 

Fishing from a pier at night with a headlamp just doesn't do it for me like being in a boat on the big V though!

• Thumbs Up 1