• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

change up coming for Red?

ANYFISH2

I read an article a week or so ago (can't remember which publication), that seemed to be hinting that the slot is in for a major shake up or even being eliminated.  Sounds as though we have been running with a surplus of spawning stock for sometime and they may try to get back down to the target level.

Has anyone been apart of these talks?

What are your thoughtson this, considering the concern that was expressed this past winter?

As I understand it the Recovery has been successful and they are now working/planning on the long term management of the Red Lakes. I doubt that the slots will be eliminated but they may be adjusted. Safe Allowable Harvest could also be changed. We will just have to wait for the announcement to come out as I'm sure the proposals are still working their way through the process.

There will be changes and intense scrutiny concerning the garbage, litter and bags of human waste being left on the lake during the winter. What happened out there last winter drew the attention of a lot of people.

• Thumbs Up 3

Kelly, glad to hear that the littering problem is going to be addressed.  The pictures posted by Jonny last spring were disgusting.  I can't understand the thinking of some people, that it is ok to fish in a pristine walleye lake, but leave it less desirable for the next group.

Edited by BringAnExtension

I would like to see the two fish limit stay, and maybe go back to the 20 inch slot after December. To me, two fish is more than enough to feed one person and I believe that lots of fish get cooked and thrown away just to "get rid of them." It's not all about bringing fish home to fill the freezer, its an awesome lake that I think any one that likes to fish should experience, it is truly one of a kind and hopefully can be for many years to come. As far as litter, it's bad but I firmly believe that most of it comes from one place on the south shore.

4 fish and no cooking or cleaned fish  on the lake. No size limit to spread the harvest instead of decimating year classes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I read the same thing in the Outdoor News a week or two ago.

After seeing what happened to Mille Lacs, sticking to nearly the same slot and allowing way to many large walleyes take over the lake, I doubt they want a repeat.

Personally I like the Mississippi/St. Croix River slot limits. I understand its a way different system but a Minimum 15" allows every year class the chance to spawn. Or even a 16" min would allow every year class approx. 2 years to spawn keeping the size structure in balance. :2c: 

From what I know Red wll go to 3 fish limit 2  under (17) and one over 17. I have no problem with that.

Had  a blast last winter with the crappies also  that should even get better this year.

I was thinking that a limit of two, with one under 17 and one over 21 would give some of the most effective spawning age females a good 3 years to spawn between harvest slots.

With two under and one over, there will be alot of fish cut, so unless the allowable harvest goes up, I dont see how the lake doesnt end up with mid-season changes again this winter like last year.   

And then again, maybe mother nature will decide to make the lake much tougher to access this year. 

As I understand it the Recovery has been successful and they are now working/planning on the long term management of the Red Lakes. I doubt that the slots will be eliminated but they may be adjusted. Safe Allowable Harvest could also be changed. We will just have to wait for the announcement to come out as I'm sure the proposals are still working their way through the process.

There will be changes and intense scrutiny concerning the garbage, litter and bags of human waste being left on the lake during the winter. What happened out there last winter drew the attention of a lot of people.

good news regarding the garbage and human waste scrutiny, I can't believe how disrespectful people are, I wish the slobs would stay home or if caught required to spend a day picking up!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

anyone with an unkept camp that has the potential to blow away garbage shouldbe warned or cited if not corrected. cant wait to get out there.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm all for them cracking down on the littering, but how are they going to enforce it? Round-the-clock patrols? I just don't see it. The DNR are strapped the way it is. And with how many houses were out there last winter, and constantly coming on and going off, good luck! But I suppose something is better than nothing...

For one you can expect Beltrami County to get a lot more involved. I do not think that anyone reading this would like to find bags of garbage/human waste in your yard, your driveway, the road ditch by your home or on/in the lake. With the present numbers of wheelhouses hitting the lake the sewage of a good sized city/town is being created every weekend. These plastic bags of human waste are showing up EVERYWHERE and a lot of people are very upset and have contacted various government agencies. Fishermen are not just creating a littering problem, they are creating a public health problem that is drawing  a lot of attention.

• Thumbs Up 3

Kelly,

I hope that they can come up with some creative ways to deal with the problem.  Is it really too much to ask folks to take their C R A P off the lake????  As if the one pound canisters wern't bad enough back in the crappie days huh.

Will be up at Beacon's 12/29-30 with Dylan for a trip in between b-ball tournaments, will make a point to find you and Fred while we're up there.  Was hoping to get out with Jon this year but could not find another father/son to commit before he was all booked for those dates.  Ah well, one of these years haha.   Take care.   Chris

Dylan,,,,,,so many little boys that have turned into men through the years. Where did the years?, decades go? :crazy: Beacon's plan of limiting access seems to be working well. It sure stayed quite and relaxing up there last winter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

How does the limited access system work. Are they only allowing so many people out per day or do you have to get a season pass. If so how much is it 

Kelly,  I have a question?

I know it would be nearly impossible, but have the resorts with access considered just closing or not building roads?  Rather invest in more rental houses, and shuttle clients via track vehicles or other means.  That would control numbers, as well as cut down on litter and unscrupulous people. Considering public access is difficult otherwise.

I understand this may upset some, but I feel it would really cut down on the negatives that are rearing their ugly heads.  It would still allow resorts to make a reasonable living, while cutting down on expenses caused by making miles of road.  And limiting the clean up after winter for the community.

side_laker, I believe it's a season pass for a limited number of people unless you stay with them. Not sure on the amount.

The problem is not access to the lake as much as its a disposal issue. If you don't have places to dispose of waste people will make bad choices. If you ask yourself does this issue exsist on other big lakes? They don't, why is that? Do they have public disposal areas or are there private disposal locations. On the south shore the closest public disposal area is on the north shore, there should be one on the south shore also. Rogers has a private disposal area that we make available to our guests and therefore pretty much eliminated that issue at Rogers. If it was access oriented we would see it by proportion elsewhere. Same guy different lake so it would be better to attack the problem not the wheel house guest.

• Thumbs Up 2

How does the limited access system work. Are they only allowing so many people out per day or do you have to get a season pass. If so how much is it 

Other then motel guests and people renting houses it is limited to 75 season passes. A friend of mine got one 2 or 3 weeks ago and he said that there were only 6 left available after his.  Any misconduct or causing trouble and your season pass will be revoked. It worked very good last winter. It was kind of like old time fishing where everybody knew each other and watched out for each other. I'm not sure of the cost.

I know it would be nearly impossible, but have the resorts with access considered just closing or not building roads?  Rather invest in more rental houses, and shuttle clients via track vehicles or other means.

Jon has gone that way with his operation.  

Portavilla, I agree with your points.

However, I do not know a lake that seems to have a winter population (houses per acre) like Red.  Particularly, in a year like last.  There was a pressure problem last year, I just thought that eliminating the road systems would solve the waste and pressure issues two fold. While reducing maintenance cost for the resorts, bringing costumers through the resorts spending more than the 10-20 dollar road pass.  Just brainstorming.

URL]Dylan,,,,,,so many little boys that have turned into men through the years. Where did the years?, decades go? :crazy: Beacon's plan of limiting access seems to be working well. It sure stayed quite and relaxing up there last winter. 

You're telling me.  I was trying to remember the first time he was up on Red.....I believe he was 4 on his first trip. Now he is 13 and we just picked up his new b-ball shoes last week and he is wearing 11's:crazy:  The good thing is now I get his hand-me-downs at the end of the year LOL.  As long as he has a couple of free days between Xmas and New Years we will keep the tradition alive of spending them on URL!!

100_1944-1_zps8525cd92.jpg

A Couple from years past : )

IMG_0414_zpsb2487baf.jpg

Edited by Xplorer
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2015, 7:52:45, Portavilla said:

The problem is not access to the lake as much as its a disposal issue. If you don't have places to dispose of waste people will make bad choices. If you ask yourself does this issue exsist on other big lakes? They don't, why is that? Do they have public disposal areas or are there private disposal locations. On the south shore the closest public disposal area is on the north shore, there should be one on the south shore also. Rogers has a private disposal area that we make available to our guests and therefore pretty much eliminated that issue at Rogers. If it was access oriented we would see it by proportion elsewhere. Same guy different lake so it would be better to attack the problem not the wheel house guest.

I agree, thanks for making the dumpsters available, I've used and seen how well used they are at Rogers and greatly appreciate it. 

My thought is this, charge the users of the access a fee for garbage disposal, $3-5? On top of your access fee. With that money a dumpster will be rented and provided by said access point. I think people will be more inclined to pick up after themselves since they've already paid for this service and the dumpster is available. This along with more proactive response from mn DNR and access owners should be a giant step in the right direction. Its a shame that we are even having this conversation. We as anglers and sportsman should have a greater respect for our lakes and communities that we visit and share with one another. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Charging to get rid of garbage will only make it worse in my opinion. The "sportsmen" who are slob enough to leave a bag of trash (or worse)  behind on the lake will be more inclined to leave it there if there is a charge to dispose of it??

• 3 weeks later...

Even out of Rogers some people act like slobs! Last year we pick up glass bottles, one pound cylinder, and general litter. I must admit I lost a box that blew out of the back of the truck, and we couldn't catch up with it. It's sad that people would litter on purpose!

Edited by MNsetters