• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Water temps, reports? Anything?

Looks awfully quiet here lately. I have two days off next week and will be fishing both of them. How are the water temps and Fall patterns setting up? I know it's early yet but...MarkB, Cliff, Casey anyone have any updates?

Thanks in advance guys. I will post what I can later next week.

I'm no Mark, Cliff or Casey but I manage to note the water temp today.... 65. I had chores today but did fish a couple hours. Hit four good spots and another that looked promising and did not find fish in Frazer Bay. I'm not seeing any clear pattern right now. One here, one there, if you're lucky. I had a few good days late last week but the last couple of days have been slow. Maybe that's why the forum is quiet. All things change. Cooler weather would be a nice change. Let us know if you do well.

RLG

Like RLG said,65 degree water and a slow bite!

The latest cold front really slowed down the bite since last weeks feeding spree!

Fish are still hitting crawlers on Lindys and starting to hit minnows well also.

16' to 30' depths.

Cliff

I was up last Saturday and fished all day. Fished reefs and islands between 16-28 ft.   Managed 4 keepers between two of us and had one break off that was large.  Used Lindys and minnows.  Crawlers with no float got all the bites for what its worth.  It was a struggle.  Thinking of coming up again on Saturday to grouse hunt in the morning and fish in the afternoon.  I am open to all suggestions.

Went out Monday had great results caught our limit before noon through a few slot fish back and half a crawler out produced a minnow . Walleyes were still on the mid lake reefs hitting plane hook snell 4' long . In the fall what kind of minnows do you guys usually use or get the best results 

Thanks for the updates guys. The leaves are turning fast so I guess that means we are not far away from a great bite.

rippin, we have always done best with smaller rainbows or chubs. When I was in central Minnesota red tail chubs had some of the hardest hits I have ever had. One of these years I will get some for that late fall bite here, just to see. 

Get some big creek chubs. They work as well as red tail chubs on Vermilion! ( they are usually sold as "rainbow chubs" this time of the year.) They look similar but have a pale red or pink stripe on them.

When I put one of them on my lindy or jig I know the result will be in a walleye in the boat!:D

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 3

Got out last night and fishing was pretty good. Jiggin raps were the ticket. Out produced the meat probably four to one. Water temps are mid sixties. Happy hunting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What depth were you trolling. I havent had much luck on leadcore 20 - 24 ft deep....Getting some walleyes and jumbos at 10 ft on wind blown shores trolling shad raps or flicker shads...

Edited by muskie-mike
add

Mike. We are trolling anywhere from 13 to 20'. If I had to pick a depth most commonly bit at it would be 16-18'.  The biggest key to it is experimenting with colors and size.  Speed wise we are always 2+ as a rule of thumb. You have to mark fish and then fish em.  If we are not marking fish we are moving to the next run. I might look at several passes before deciding to make a pull. Hope this helps. Vermilion gold feel free to chime in if you have something to add. 

Edited by RoosterMan
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fishing was good but not spectacular for us the last couple days. The water is still warm at 65 or so and the fish seem to be transitioning. All the walleyes we caught were on minnows (rainbows being best) and parrot colored fireball jigs. We would manage a couple fish in most spots and the bite would stop. Saddles and points adjacent to "deep" water held and marked fish. One of the points had massive bait balls above and around the fish which may explain the lack of good bites. We also had a musky swirling around after catching a couple small ones and were curious if his presence didn't contribute to the  dissapearence of active fish.

It was windy the last few days but we found most of the fish in 30 feet although a couple were caught as shallow as 15. Not sure if the transition made a huge difference as we were in our last couple hours when I was noticing that but "dragging" the jigs seemed best. Of course in areas without real jagged rocks. Our biggest fish came near an obvious mud to rock transition though. 

Good luck guys and gals! The water has to cool down eventually. 

• Thumbs Up 2