• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm  hearing rumors about nets going into Gull

I'm  starting a petition That I don't want my tax or license money goingto restock Mille Lacs  Untill the nets are out of there for good

not just 1 year and not just fro te local s rom all the tribes that net there

Get that going ASAP, that'll strike fear in the hearts of the Politicians and Natives alike. I think those sabers have already been rattled about a thousand times in the last 15 years around Mille Lacs,. Nobody blinked.

Truth be told, the bands that net Mille Lacs can net just about any Brainerd area lake, all they need to do is declare their intentions. The Bands that are attempting to do so now are testing another treaty, so it's an effort to get it to the Federal courts, and see if they can really blow the lid off their Ceded territory rights.

Good luck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

ya I guess if everyone stands by  and  just let it go we will all be fishing Canada and North Dakota

I just read that article in the dispatch and dnr plans and not one mention of nets

great serious !!!!!!!!

small mouth ,northern and muskie are not going replace the walleye fishing no way no how !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure I can follow your thinking Gregg.  People that have followed the issue for the last 15 or so years at Mille Lacs have a pretty good grasp of what the realities of the situation are.  If the Tribes want to net the Brainerd area lakes they can declare which lakes, and go for it. I know it stings a bit more when the "issue" moves into your back yard, and "your" resource becomes threatened, but the facts are the facts, and the treaties support the activities of the Bands.I agree with you, apathy will not change things, so gather all your resources, and give er hell.     

We had 2 separate bands from Wisconsin try Lower South Long this spring. Not a whole lot we can do about it. I know neither tribe fared very good so I'm hoping they won't be back.

you cant do nothing bout the netting

but you can do something about the restocking of the lakes if it comes to that

voices need to be heard that you or at least my feeling is I 

dont want my license  or tax money being put

towards the restocking of any lake that is being netted

Or Red Lake the "poster child" lake for re-stocking, that was totally ruined by over harvest, and gill nets. Seemed to work out pretty well for those beaten down fisheries..  

I don't fish either but ya if they are still netting and restocking

you bet I don't want my tax  money or license money to go towards restocking any lake that

has nets !!!!!!!!!

who ever is doing it can pay

you cant do nothing bout the netting

but you can do something about the restocking of the lakes if it comes to that

voices need to be heard that you or at least my feeling is I 

dont want my license  or tax money being put

towards the restocking of any lake that is being netted

How about any lake that is being angled?.  The anglers kill way more walleye on Mille Lacs than the netting does.

The NBMs are the ones that blew through their quota.  It is the NBM DNR which managed the lake poorly with slots encouraging cannibalism. 

ANGLERS DONT kill near as many spawning fish as nets take out of the lake ........geez

I just don't understand people that continue to make excuses for the the netting

the proof is black and white and isin the history of the lake  

I'm not saying the DNR did the right thing but they where forced to do some thing

and why was that ????????????

You are right the courts rule on the netting ....but I don't have to pay to restock the lake for nets to take them out a few years later!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't have an issue with the tribes netting. After all it is their right to do so. What I don't like is when they do the netting. Seems to me if they would give the spawning females a chance to drop eggs and move out to deeper water the fishery wouldn't take such a big hit. The male fish are still shallow so take them. And I know that there are great variances each year but still think this may work!

Now they want to restock Mille Lac, maybe they should start with a forage base such as Perch? 

best  thing would be keep every body and every thing out of the for 5 years

I believe mother nature would fix it !!!

If you take a big picture of history gregg52 you will see that the Indians have been netting a lot longer than we have been hook and lining the lake.  The bigger problem is the amount we have angled on the lake in the past 40 years with more technology and better equipment, added to the time the Indians do the most netting, and then add in the ever changing ecology of the lake and we come to face the issue we are at.  I laugh at the people that say nets this nets that but yet look how many launches were going out a day taking in huge hauls of fish!!  I totally agree with you on one thing and that is the lake should be shut down for a couple years to let it naturally reset and then manage it differently than it is now.  NETS ARE NOT THE ONLY PROBLEM 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note to this topic I see they are re-allowing netting of Tulibees and Whitefish in some area lakes.....My dad is pretty pumped about that.  That was a great time.  That Fall netting is amazing if you've never experienced it, and with the size netting you have to use for those fish there really isn't any issues with the larger predators that get into your nets.  We've gotten a few pike in them and all released fine.....it's amazing the tanks you catch that you never new existed in your lake.  Numerous 20lb+ pike.  But I will say the Eelpout do suffer, as they are twisted up in those things like snakes...