• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

koronis

Despite the Star Trib story I ventured to Koronis for some night trolling under the Aug Full Moon, Yeah it was early and the weeds were tougher than I hoped but they evening was nice weather wise and we caught a few fish (3 eyes... nothing large). Need the lake to cool down a little before heading back but was fun to have some fish on in the dark again! Lots of boats at Hwy 55 landing at 8 when we arrived but only 1 at 11 when we left...

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Still hanging around 68 degrees.  Getting a few eyes, bass, pike and crappies trolling cranks.  Weeds are still limiting where you can troll.

• Thumbs Up 1

A buddy of mine was out today and said his graph was shownig 70.  Not sure how accurate that is, but even if it's 68, I'd be happy if it started dropping in a big hurry. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I fished Koronis Sunday night and had a really fun trip.  Not a lot of action but stuck a personal best walleye out of the lake.  A fat 30" eye that was at least 10 lbs.  I was fishing by myself so didn't get a great picture.  I quickly measured and put her back in the water.  Later I stuck a fat 28 1/4" eye that was again released.  Quirkiest fish was a big mouth buffalo that crushed a shad rap and was 7-8 lbs.  Did finally find a couple eaters for a meal.  Kind of a slow night but still fun with the quality of fish.

Trolling crank baits around the weed line.  Water temp still hanging around 68 degrees.

• Thumbs Up 4

How deep did you hit them big girls in? 

Finding most of our fish over or around weed beds.  Pulling shallow diving stuff over the top or on either the inside or outside edges.

Also, remember that koronis is infested with Starry Stonewort.  Be sure to double and triple check your boat and trailer when you leave.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the report, Borch.  Did you notice if the fish had a preference for shad-style baits vs. stickbaits?  

We ran shallow shad style baits due to the amount of vibration felt and the ease of clearing when fouled with weeds.  When using braid usually with a sharp snap of the rod it will clear weeds with shad style baits.  When using stick baits the vibration is usually more subtle(harder to tell if running clean or not) and the rate of clearing them of weeds with a rod snap is much lower resulting in less time in the water.  In addition we find a lot of young of year panfish being the targeted food source as the weeds start to lay down.  The smaller shad style bait match the profile better.

So stick baits may be very effective but haven't use them to this point.  But... they will be moving to the head of the list very soon as the weeds become less of an issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

I concur with Borch... the shallow Shad styles are better right now mainly due to... you can run them. I tried some husky jerks and some regular raps but right now being in the weeds and being able to run was key for us... I would recommend braided line and a rod with backbone and fast tip to snap the line with weeds and be able to feel the lure run correctly. I also recommend that there is some areas that are just "out of play" due to weeds yet (7-9' as of last weekend) once they drop then bigger trolling areas should open up. If you are a guy that hates dealing with weeds now is not the time to be going out... wait for the temps to drop more.  

Have you guys mostly been going out at night?  I have some buddies coming here for the weekend and we are thinking of going out Sunday during the day. Trolling cranks sounds fun but might be tough with 5 of us in the boat. Anybody fishing other methods? Any advice would be appreciated. I have never been out on koronis fishing. 

I've been out at night recently.  During the day good places to start would be outside weed edges as there is a lot of food there right now and move out until you contact fish.  Pulling a spinner and a crawler or a jig and minnow should get you bit by something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Borch. That is very helpful. I have been out there with friends doing recreational stuff with the kids and noticed a fair number of boats fishing off of the islands. Would that be a good place to start or do you have any other input?  I'm not asking for your secret spots but just a general idea where to start. Again, thanks for the help. 

Lots of great spots.  The area around the islands is one of them.  The bar running south from Stoney Point all the way to the dam is popular too.

We didn't end up going out. Played golf instead. Good luck to everyone this fall. Thanks again for the input. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The hwy 55 landing is closed so that the algae can be treated but the other three landings are open, just less parking and smaller to use.

I stand corrected, the only landing open is Veteran's Park also known as Van's Beach next to the city of Paynesville city swimming beach, a small landing.