• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grass

Kyhl

I planned to troll for pike this past weekend but there was 5" - 8" grass floating everywhere that I went.  This grass ended up fouling baits quickly so I switched to casting.  I am guessing that the grass was coming up from the bottom.  Anyone know the about the grass that is all over the lake?  I am guessing it is a normal end of summer seasonal thing but that is just a guess.

By the way, casting was the better plan anyway because Saturday the Pike seemed timid.  For me, they were only hitting slow retrieves and even then there were some misses.  I had one miss then follow the lure to the boat but would not hit it again.  I stopped the lure when he missed it, then brought it back slowly with occasional stops and he still wouldn't hit it.

The grass you are seeing is called two common names wild celery or eel grass. It is normal for it to dislodge and float up at the end of the growing season. It is a favorite food of diving ducks and a good weed for many varieties of young fish. There are some pictures of it if you goggle wild celery or eel grass. Also The MN dnr has pictures and drawings of it on their website.  It does make trolling almost impossible when it is coming up but it is a beneficial plant so be glad its there.

Mwal

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the info.  I knew someone would know what it was.

I assumed that was the grass that was showing on the bottom of the depth finder all summer but did not expect it to dislodge like that and end up everywhere.