• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chain fo lakes Catfish

Having not fished for them there before. What is the average size, baits be used, (crawlers) how are they for eating?

Haven't we covered this before?;)

Average size is 15-19 in 

Baits would be cut sucker, nightcrawlers ,leeches or live or dead fatheads. Just find a weedbed, a point or some structure that looks like walleyes should be there,  8-20ft should work fine. Slip bobbers or lindy rigs have always fotten plenty of fish.

As for eating, I have been told they are a bit muddy tasting compared to fish out of the Mississippi.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been finding more and more hitting my baits while bass fishing lately.  Best part about it, is I'm seeing much better quality in size.  I hit the lakes on Friday, ended up catching a few, but the cats were in the 4-5lbs range.  All of them where caught on the south side of the large island as you go through the narrows into Cedar. The one that would be straight ahead of you when you pass through the narrows.  The north side of the island is pretty shallow, but the south side has a great drop.  I usually work my way down the bank, to the sand bar people park to party a bit, then cruise across to the other point, and work my way back west.  

I even managed to find a few pike this time as well.  Bit really hit and miss on those guys the past 4-5 years for me.  

Everything was caught using a Texas rig and a 6" snake style bait.  Slow dragging it on the bottom, instead of hopping it.  I will also catch a lot of cats on that same bank with crappie minnows and a jig.  Just cast towards shore, and swim it back.  

You can also catch a bunch of smaller fish in East lake.  Use a slip bobber set shallow, because it's like 2-3 feet deep and cast where there are pockets without weeds.  I wouldn't keep a fish out of there though.  The water temps is normally in the low 80s this time of year.  

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 months later...

What is the latest report on thet chain?  Thinking of going for cats and many a walleye or two?  If November stays warm,be get the boat inthe lake a few more times. Plus there is going to be open an seat.

Edited by jigginjim