• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coming up for our annual "boys" fishing trip June 30 - July 4th. Staying on Frazer Bay fishing for walleyes. Was up a month ago but only managed 4 keepers for a fry, no slot fish. We were there primarily to repair docks for my brother-in-laws folks place so we only fished a couple of times. This time will be primarily fishing. Sounds like the mayfly hatch will be over by the time we arrive, hope to read some fishing reports after this weekend. Our past success is usually slip-bobbering the reefs in 20 FOW with what ever bait is recommended at the time.

Thanks!

Kevin

The walleyes are still on the reefs and slip bobbers are working well there. Leeches and crawlers are the best baits.

No guarantee that the Mayflies will be gone by then though!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Dropped anchor on a reef in 20 FOW and hauled in this nice 24 inches within 2 minutes. Caught another 19+ on another small hump in another similar spot. Both slip bobbers with leeches! Looking forward to some more serious fishing today as we had some maintenance issues to take care of around the house.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

I have a video landing a nice walleye, it is 122 megabytes . Can I upload it?

Okay I'm kind of newbie when it comes to YouTube. Changed the privacy setting so you should be able to view it now!

Back up with my younger brothers family for a few days. His twin daughters love to fish but have only caught panfish, hope to hit a few reefs and see if I can get them to haul in some walleye. Haven't seen any posts lately, only caught slot fish last week so I hope we can catch some eaters!

Eaters are hard to find. I can't speak for Tuesday- had to leave the lake for a few weeks of weddings, reunions,etc. - but with thunderstorms, wind shifts and cold fronts,, I could not find the Frazer Bay fish Sunday and Monday. I moved around a lot and saw the few people fishing moving around a lot,too. Slow for all. Looks like fairly stable weather ahead so maybe things will pick up for you.

Good luck and enjoy the times,

Dick

Thanks for the update Dick. I will be sure to share my reports!

First hour out this morning caught a 21,22 and 23 inch walleyes on reef in 22 FOW with slip bobbers and leeches. Still only slots and will try again this evening.

Airnuts,  I'm coming up this evening and our place is on Frazer Bay (sand beach side of Fectos Point).

I'm going to try to get out a bit and wondered if you were finding your slot fish on frazer bay, or fishing elsewhere...

Thanks

All my slot fish caught on reef by Island 36, slip bobbers and leeches.

Haven't caught a walleye since those slots Wednesday morning. Went to Greenwood Bay for northern and took the twin girls bass fishing so at least they could wrestle in some fish.

I fished a couple reefs in Frazer Sunday and Monday in the morning.  Caught a few slot fish (biggest being 24") and a couple eaters, on slip bobber and leach at 18 FOW based on your posts, Airnuts.   I also lost a big one right at the boat.  Not a ton of fish, but pretty good for me in mid summer, when i typically turn to other activities, like boating and waterskiing etc since i've always found the bite after July 4th to be pretty tough.

Tip O' the Hat: This forum has been an extremely valuable resource for me to narrow down variables and increase the "luck" each time I'm out.  So thanks to everyone who shares their tips and experiences, and I've tried to do the same for the weekends I'm up on the V.

• Thumbs Up 3

I always enjoy sharing my fishing tactics and equally enjoy reading others. Vermilion has such a large fishery and I have enjoyed every minute I get to spend on it!

• Thumbs Up 1

So it appears I will be up the first week of September for a walleye hunt. Never been up at this time of the year and just curious what the usual tactics are. While I'm on the subject, how has the fishing been lately? Just saw a report by Mark.

Thanks!

Very good walleye fishing now!

Still using lindys with crawlers,leeches, and small minnows.

Most of my fish have been on the reefs but a few are now related to some of the smaller bays with sand and rock bottoms.

Sept. is great walleye time! The later the better!

Lindys or jigs with minnows are usually the ticket at that time.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Frazer Bay report for the past few days: sometimes good, sometimes not so good. We got back up here Thursday and found a few fish, mostly small- 11-12". Friday was good. We boated 30 or so, including a couple of slot fish, some small fish and 8 good eaters. Saturday was sunny, calm and not very productive. Sunday was windy, at times very windy, and we did not find many decent fish. We are using 1/2 crawlers and I was regretting not having minnows on board. Water temps are about 66 so we are entering minnow season. You should try them.

Good luck out there. One nice thing, the fish are getting a little heftier. Big shoulders are coming on. A 22" walleye is a husky brute these days. We're here into October so I'll try to post again. Best part of the year in my book. 

RLG, aka Dick

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice to hear you say the steep side....depending on when my pops gets up tomorrow I may get a report in. Glad to see everyone is getting in on some early fall action. 

Never made it up to the big V in September due to Manick rail and dock repairs. I will be heading up October 1st to help pull in the the docks. Weather looks like it will be on the cool side, hope to wet a line. What's been working best lately for some walleye?

• 8 months later...

Coming up over the forth of July for our annual "guys only" fishing trip. Any fishing reports deeply appreciated!

Airnuts,

We've had some high winds the past few days so my boat's been in the lift. Prior to that, we've used minnows and leeches, with some success both shallow (slip bobbers) and deep (25-35' off rocky shores or reefs). But that was then. Today and the 4th will be different. The water temperature is warming and the bite is moving to crawlers or soon will be and we are starting to see mayfly hatches on hot days ( though we haven't had to many of those). Stay in touch. The weather is settling down and patterns will start to be more stable.

RLG 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Frazer Bay is the new west!  I haven't fished much that last few days with storm damage chores, but in two one hour outings, I've caught a slot fish and two 12"ers each time. I did manage one eater. I'm using 1/2 a crawler with a lindy or light bottom bouncer. Maybe someone can help me with a problem: I use braid with a 4-5' flourocarbon leader with my lindies. I use a swivel about the leader. I'm getting some bad twist problems with crawlers. Any solution or is it just the crawler spinning?

RLG

RLG,

You are probably hooking your crawlers to deep! Do not string them onto the hook. Only hook them about 1/4 inch deep straight into the end.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1