• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sandy Report Eyes and Crappies

Finally made it back to Fishing Minnesota. Had to get a new user name, since I could not locate my old password and haven't used this site in a while...  Anyways....

I fished Big Sandy last weekend May 22-26 (Extended trip since it was by birthday), and fared pretty well, only on the walleye side. Fished in 14 to 18 FOT, with live bait, jigs with fatheads and lindy rigs produced fish. Caught mostly 13-16 inchers eyes, along with some decent size perch. Locator was definitely needed, and just backed troll to find fish. Neighbor caught a 28'' eye. He wouldn't tell me where, although he said that was the only eye he caught last Friday, just a plain old lindy and leech.

Purpose of the trip was to find the crappie slabs, yet did not find any in the shallows near pencil reeds, only small snakes took my jigs. I tired various locations on the lake from the northwest bays, to islands around "the pass", to bellhorn, etc... yet could not locate them anywhere. Only place where I found a 13 incher was washed up on shore near Davis Bay. Anybody have any luck with any pannies or crappies on BSL? Dont have to be specific... FOT?

I wont head back to Big Sandy until June 13th weekend. Going to fish other lakes and getting ready for Muskie opener on the 6th!''

Good luck to everybody!

• Thumbs Up 1

Our cabin is up on the north shore of Big Sandy and there were quite a few boats trolling along real slowly out around that same depth of water about 30 to 40 yards out from shore.  I didn't see anyone catch any fish despite peeking through the binoculars a time or two.  I only got out fishing for a few hours on Sunday last weekend because we were building a deck.  I just casted for pike and bass.  I got a new Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar installed last night so I'll be out looking for crappies and walleye when I'm up there next on June 5th/6th.

crappie, you will like your helix 5, I put one on the pontoon this year and love it. can't beat the features for that price. did you get just the sonar, or did you get some extra goodies with it? I got it with the GPS.

• Thumbs Up 1

I went with the Helix 5 that is solely sonar.  I can't wait to get out and play with it!

I'm heading to BS this weekend. Will be at the Corp campground. I don't have a big boat, 16' john boat, vexilar flasher and Ifinder H2O. Any tips on places to try for eye's and/or places to stay away from.

Thanks

I'll be up there this weekend as well testing out the new fish finder on BS.  I've heard people are catching walleye in 5-8 FOW and also heard 14-18 FOW but exactly where on the lake I don't know.  I'm relying on my new toy to help while equipped with some fatheads.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm heading to BS this weekend. Will be at the Corp campground. I don't have a big boat, 16' john boat, vexilar flasher and Ifinder H2O. Any tips on places to try for eye's and/or places to stay away from.

Thanks

If you try that spot I messaged you on, let me know how you do.

Also, I have caught smallies and decent size pike casting shad raps near the shoreline (rocks help)

Had a fantastic, but chilly time on the water (see hat and towel=Ragnar fellow) last weekend. Did not fish around Sandy (since I wanted to catch decent fish), but targeted walleyes. Caught 33 eyes. Average length was around 18-25". Morning bite was best, and it was during the cold front, didnt expect to catch too much but they were active. Not overly aggressive, but willing to hit mostly on leeches.

During the afternoon, we fished for crappies and caught around 25+, biggest was 14". Few sunfish mixed in there, with the biggest 10".  Kept 6 of the eyes, 8 of the crappies for a nice meal.

20150530_070026.jpg

20150530_150010.jpg

20150530_150655.jpg

20150530_200528.jpg

20150531_083927.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I caught 4 walleye and 4 pike friday morning all before 8AM on BSL.  The walleyes were 13 1/2, 15, 18 1/2 and 19 inches.  I threw the only eligible keeper back.  I was out until 2PM and never got another bite.  I had trouble figuring out what was fish and what wasn't on the Helix 5 Sonar.  They have a fish ID mode but it never showed the fish symbol on the screen all day.  The wind kicked up horribly and I didn't even go out Friday evening or Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the report, looks like bigger eyes are starting to come out to play.

Fished this past weekend strictly Big Sandy. Time of the day was key, most fish caught were in morning. Finally found the crappies, but very finicky in some spots. 

For the eyes, I had a heck of a time just locating them on the Lowrance. First time skunked on em.

You guys have a tougher weekend?