• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Handgun Purchase reccomendations

I'm in the market for a new hand gun. Not for hunting, just for general use, and home protection. I have quite a few shot guns and rifles. However I keep them locked up in my safe out in my man cave away from the house. So I have no protection in the house. I have 2 young boys, and I don't want them to play with my long guns so they are locked up. I have a small safe in my house also, this is where I'd keep a hand gun.

When it comes to hand guns I'm pretty ignorant on calibers and models. I'm very familiar with how they handle and shoot. I've shot plenty of them over the years. I don't want to spend a ton. I used to shoot a buddies Ruger P89 9mm. I liked that, but is that a bit much for plinking with and home protection.

We've had some knuckle heads in SW MN lately, and I'm sure it'll only get worse in the future. I just feel my house is not as safe as it once was, I'm already in the works of getting my permits, not to carry, just to purchase.

So what should I start looking at? I don't need something off the wall, just a good working gun, and possibly easy enough for my wife to shoot if needed.

Please reply only if you have some positive responses. "Remember guns DON'T kill people, STUPID people kill people."

• Thumbs Up 1

The Taurus 24/7 is a good shooter and is fairly cheap, Fleet farm has them for just over $300. Otherwise the Ruger SR9 has some cheaper models if you like Rugers

• Thumbs Up 2

plinkin and home protection?  Get a 357 magnum.  You can shoot 38's through it for plinking and drop some 357 mags in for home protection.  I reload so I enjoy plinking with my 45 acp, and my 357/38.  Since 22's are hard to find now a days. I have been plinking with these two handguns instead of my .22.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

For a semi auto I would would have to say the 40 cal is a solid choice. I looked at a lot of calibers before I made my choice. I bought a Sig Sauer 2022 in 40 cal. it fits my hand comes with a second clip, grip, and mine came with a laser sight that can be put on. I like the night sights, because when it was dark you will still be able to aim. The laser sight would be nice too, but I have not used it.  The recoil is not bad and my wife's cousin has shot it as well.  She liked it so much that she went and bought one. The gun is reasonably priced for being a sig come with a hard case. I say go to a gun shop and find one that feels good in your hand and buy it in the caliber you want.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for the responses. I do like the option in the 357/38. Does Ruger make a decent gun in a 357 mag?

Thanks again.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Yeah Ruger makes a good gun. 

I have a taurus model 66(?) or something like that.  Solid performer, shoots straight and has never not gone bang when I have pulled the trigger

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently bought a S&W M&P .40 and love it. M&P's are great, I would recommend one in whatever caliber you decide. Come with pretty good sights, however you may want to consider adding night sights if home defense is the purpose. Otherwise it has a rail for a light, laser, or combination of both. Thumb safety and mag disconnect are optional if you prefer the extra protection. This pistol has a low bore axis which allows for quick and accurate follow up shots, and is drop dead reliable. 

I like my .40 cal just because it is a good middle of the road between 9mm and .45. Ammo will be less expensive than .45.. however I have heard that .40 cal has a snappier recoil than other calibers. From my own experience, all I can tell you is it kicks less then my old man's .357.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

My personal favorite handgun I've owned is my fn herstal (spelling?) fns-40. It isn't the cheapest option, but is a high quality gun IMO.

For what your looking for a 9mm fits the bill perfectly.  Your wife will be able to shoot it better and ammo is very affordable.  

With the modern defense loads available now the marginal performance difference between the 9mm and the .40 have essentially been erased so that is a moot point anymore.  In fact, the FBI has decided to ditch their .40's in favor of the 9mm.

· 9mm Luger now offers select projectiles which are, under identical testing conditions, I outperforming most of the premium line .40 S&W and .45 Auto projectiles tested by the FBI

· 9mm Luger offers higher magazine capacities, less recoil, lower cost (both in ammunition and wear on the weapons) and higher functional reliability rates (in FBI weapons)

· The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)

· There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto

· Given contemporary bullet construction, LEO’s can field (with proper bullet selection) 9mm Lugers with all of the terminal performance potential of any other law enforcement pistol caliber with none of the disadvantages present with the “larger” calibers

Good luck with whatever you choose and remember to practice, practice, practice! 

• Thumbs Up 3

For what your looking for a 9mm fits the bill perfectly.  Your wife will be able to shoot it better and ammo is very affordable.  

With the modern defense loads available now the marginal performance difference between the 9mm and the .40 have essentially been erased so that is a moot point anymore.  In fact, the FBI has decided to ditch their .40's in favor of the 9mm.

Good luck with whatever you choose and remember to practice, practice, practice! 

Great advice. Practice practice practice. 9mil is cheaper to shoot. My personal preference is smith and wesson shield or glock 19. The ruger makes a nice 9 but the striker fire in my opinion is so much better than thier older version. That was a long trigger pull. 

Schubie

• 3 weeks later...

I have to completely agree on the 9mm as being the perfect choice in a semi-auto. IF you want a wheel gun, then get the .357, but for capacity and simple reloads you can't beat the semi-autos. 

Lots of argument in that category too, but Glock is what I have. As reliable as you can get. It shoots everything. 

• 6 months later...

I would go with a 9 all day long. As Lmitout said, almost no performance difference any longer. I have a couple M&P models but I would try one out before u purchased one. As far as I am concerned the model with no safety is bad and they have a horrible trigger with very long travel. I had a Apex trigger put in mine and that helped alot but still NO safety. If you look at a M&P, I would suggest a safety model. Not sure if the trigger in that model is all that good either. They are not cheap to put a very good trigger in. I would go out and try as many different models as possible before u buy one and make sure it fits your hand and you are comfortable with it.

• 1 year later...

I remembered I wrote this question. So I'm replying back. I was lucky enough to have a relative who had a Smith and Wesson Model 66-2 .357 mag (mint condition) that he was willing to part with. I haven't shot it yet. Been busy.

Anyway now what recommendations are out there for 38 shells for plinking. I've read about the problems if using to heavy a load.

Thanks

IMG_20170113_181634301.jpg

Edited by fishing4fun

• 1 month later...

You don't need your ccw to buy a gun btw. You can just apply for a permit to purchase for free.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also bought the air gun version of my berretta PX4 storm. It has the blow back action. simulates shooting the gun very well. Handy for cheap practice in locations that firing a real gun would get you in trouble (back yard).

Also a great way to introduce kids/wife because of reduced noise and recoil with the exact same handling as the real deal.

Basically it's identical. just a thought.