• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another record

here's an idea.  you need to write your DNR number on all waste bags.  when you are checked by the DNR on the lake the number has to be on it just like your fish house.  then in the spring you can track down who leaves it behind.  just by making people have numbers on bags may help a little.

• Thumbs Up 1

ummm yeah, maybe, but your asking slobs to to take the time to wright down their number on their waste bags  and the DNR to check to make sure they coincide with ther house number, not a bad idea but id rather see citations for unkept emcampments and dumpsters at the landing, Id pay and extra few bucks for that, or dumpsters on the plowed roads, but then sombody has to take them ashore.

Alot of extra time for people that dont wont wright down umbers and for the DNR that has many other duties the way it is, dumpster will fill to over flow quickly and the sruff on the ground with blow away in the wind before the dumpster is emptied. the DNR sends out people to measure fish, people at the landing to make sure exotic species transfer dosent happen, why not send them out on their survey and measure the fish excetra.... they walk around the camp, kick in the snow banks for hidden treasure, and if things are found or the camps had the potential for littering, hand them a warning with a clause of " when i come back and this isnt cleaned up and secured" the CO coming back with a citation. PIN the camp with GPS cordinates and on tot he next house.

Ive seen many dumpsters on lake shores and it helps but I see them overflowing with waist on the ground before they are emptoed, public landing at wheelers point is a great example. no easy answer I think

• Thumbs Up 1

No easy solution other than people need to stop being slobs. Peer pressure from others may help to get some them to clean up after them selves.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 6 months later...

Beltrami County Environmental Services is having a meeting Tuesday Dec. 8th at Noon at Westwind.  It will be about the  bags of Human Waste issue. It looks like Beltrami County is planning on putting 1 dumpster on the south shore and 1 dumpster on the east shore for the bags of Human Waste. Everybody with roads on the Lake or renting houses on the Lake have been asked to attend by the Lake Association.

This doesn't seem real difficult , If you have to use the bathroom when you are on the lake then you should take home and dispose of your own Feces. A bag full of frozen CRAP does not Smell. People need to Grow up , Does anyone actually think that any Garbage hauler or Lakeshore owner should have to deal with anybodys Human waste. This is another reason that ( so called ) Sportsman give a bad name to ALL sportsman !!!!!!!

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES !!!!!!!

A true sportsman would leave the area looking better than they found it.

I filled two drum liners this weekend. Half a grocery bag worth was my own, rest was junk I picked up off the ice. Propane cans, news papers, crap bags, fileted fish carcasses, fast food bags, etc...

Thank You Dan

If everybody was like you we would not even have to have this forum , Unfortunately not everyone was born with the same Common sense or had a Good role Model to show them how to Respect the Enviroment. Hats Off To You

The meeting with Beltrami County Environmental Services was well attended and went pretty good.

Almost every road on the lake had someone there.   Most of the Outfitters were also represented.

Beltrami County OK-ed putting bags of Human waste in the dumpsters along with the regular garbage. It was stressed that every road should have at least one dumpster for the fishermen to put their garbage in and every road that was at the meeting agreed to have dumpsters available.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2015, 6:10:40, kelly-p said:

Beltrami County Environmental Services is having a meeting Tuesday Dec. 8th at Noon at Westwind.  It will be about the  bags of Human Waste issue. It looks like Beltrami County is planning on putting 1 dumpster on the south shore and 1 dumpster on the east shore for the bags of Human Waste. Everybody with roads on the Lake or renting houses on the Lake have been asked to attend by 

Thanks for the update Kelly, sounds like big steps in the right direction.

Now we just have to get the PIGS to haul them to shore and put them " IN " the dumpster. Thank you for the update. Mike

Imagine how many batteries have been sent to the bottom of the lake along with other sinking trash.  It makes me cringe to wonder how many of these same people hunt deer in MN with the same wreckless behavior. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I flew the shoreline after ice out this spring. The line of trash resembled a Third World country after a hurricane. I should have taken pictures but was embarrassed. When a city sized population moves onto a frozen lake there needs to be enforcement. Law enforcement is not sufficient. They are too soft. They are not following up on red flags during patrol (litter and lack of respect for Natl. resources at fish-house locations). When the wind is blowing these stupid bastards lose half of their plastic minnow bags, plastic bottles, junk food wrappers and cardboard beer cases tumbling down the lake. Pisses me off.. There should be additional resources pumped in on a rotating basis from other DNR patrol stations that have less activity. I know this is done to some degree but it's a joke. There should be GPS tracking of certain sights and follow up when those folks leave. License plates should be documented and angling licenses logged so if there needs to be legal action taken at location; because an officer was suspicious the space would be left in poor condition; you know who was there to fine! It's a lot of work to police those that don't give a shit and it's not being done because lack of resources and the work that is required. One thing about being a pilot is perspective. I see all this crap from the air and it makes me shake my head.

Edited by onceacop
  • Thumbs Up 1

It wouldn't take a very large grant to hire an extra 5-10 cops for a few weekends to hit it hard.  Federal gov't is always sending grants to the states to saturate the roads for drunk driving patrols, why can't that happen for a trash sting?  The littering ticket is listed as $1000 in a story from last winter in the news.  Can't we find a way to wrap that money around to fund additional targeted enforcement? 

I have to imagine drones could make this pretty easy for the trash that isn't shoved down a hole. 

*Announce special enforcement

*Do it

*Take pictures

*Publish it everywhere and often to let people know it's being pursued and how many are being caught

• Thumbs Up 2

To some degree the other larger lakes experience this (LOW, Winnie, Leech); but there is no lake that I visit that has more human impact than Red Lake experiences per acre of water. Additionally, Red lake is remote and people that fish are probably staying put. That means human waste issues and long duration stays that tend to accumulate larger amounts of garbage. Last winter when I fished there were these styrofoam meat trays from pork chops and steaks etc... left at a location. If you stepped on one it would cause you to wipe out. I thought really??? Couldn't pack out your trash after the BBQ.... The Ice Castle Era is having an impact on these lakes. When I first fished Red in the 70's there were not cities out there. Structures were crude and few used them. It was a day fishery and our winters were brutal with access always being a chore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe a special tip line for the ice fishing season would help . Unfortunately the few instances I have had to use the Turn In Poachers line only resulted in being told that the baiters were doing more harm than good rather than enforcing the law. I understand that the CO s are overworked and under staffed , but what is the point of having laws if they are not enforced. Last time I checked there was still a law against littering or even Wanton Waste ( fish left on the ice ). Maybe we all need to write down liscense # s of the offenders , Not worth confronting anyone these days as that would only result in a fight or someone dead. But really how can we expect people to respect nature when they don't even respect human life anymore. Sorry for blabbing so much ! Just a sore spot for me.  Mike

While URL may have more of a problem than other lakes, I find litter every time I fish.  It never ceases to amaze me that guys go out into the environment and leave all of their trash behind.

It isn't just fisherman.  Hunters are terrible too.  There is a WMA near my house.  During hunting season there are coffee cups and sandwich wrappers left behind.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow there are enough foam bobbers there to get a guy through a season......hope the plans work on cleaning up the trash on red.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 5:35 PM, kelly-p said:

The meeting with Beltrami County Environmental Services was well attended and went pretty good.

Almost every road on the lake had someone there.   Most of the Outfitters were also represented.

Beltrami County OK-ed putting bags of Human waste in the dumpsters along with the regular garbage. It was stressed that every road should have at least one dumpster for the fishermen to put their garbage in and every road that was at the meeting agreed to have dumpsters available.

I have been to both Rogers and JRs this year.  Rogers has several dumpsters and JRs has none.

Maybe we can start a list of which resorts are providing dumpsters this year.  Hopefully this will push more people to patronize the resorts that actually care about the resource.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, MNsetters said:

Was anyone from JR's at the meeting? 

Yes I understand that he was at the meeting himself.

6 hours ago, huntingislife said:

I have been to both Rogers and JRs this year.  Rogers has several dumpsters and JRs has none.

Maybe we can start a list of which resorts are providing dumpsters this year.  Hopefully this will push more people to patronize the resorts that actually care about the resource.

You have to be kidding

• 2 weeks later...

If you are here in the URL area and brown matter is flying off the roadway and sticking to your vehicles don't worry about it. It is just human waste on the roadway from fishermen dumping the holding tanks of sewage from their wheelhouses. It looks like most of it went into the ditch that flows into URL and from the size of the hole melted out through the snow and ice into the ditch it had to be up in the 30 to 40 gallon range. It is pretty obvious that this person has no respect for the lake, the fisheries or other people.

p ddump.JPG

p dump.JPG

p hole.JPG

p road.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

This is sad! Don't know what can be done, can't fix stupid or inconsiderate slobs!

If anyone witnesses this kind of abuse to our environment, I hope they have the balls to turn them in ! !

• Thumbs Up 2

that is so wrong.  I have an RV edition and even though i would love to leave my house at Beacon's during the winter I haul it back 7 hrs to my home town so that i can empty the holding tank at a proper dump station.  If you buy an RV unit, then you must accept the responsibility of deposing of the waste tank properly.  I know that its hard to find an all season dump station, but they are around and a responsible person would go find one and use it.

• Thumbs Up 4