• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another record

amount of trash on the South shore. Hundreds of white plastic garbage bags lots in the area of the

outfit that charges his customers $5.00/bag of trash. I won' mention any names don't want to

help that shill from Southern Mn. get a free trip. Somebody from Faribault threw 2 bags off the road into my property i always search the bags one time i found a signed receipt. Found 5-slot

fish which surprised me the birds usually get them before they reach shore. Good year for foam

bobbers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Quote:
of the

outfit that charges his customers $5.00/bag of trash.

On this side of the Lake every road provides a free dumpster for their customers. A year ago there were a lot of people upset about the garbage ice fishermen left behind. This year a lot of people are very, very mad. mad The general garbage is bad enough but there are bags of human waste everywhere. Floating around the lake, thrown in the road ditches and onto private property. I would guess that next winter there will be an intense crackdown both by the State and County Environmental Services.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

that is just crazy!

Wow,obviously most of the culprits don't visit the lake often.

It has been bad. This winter working on the far north shore every time the wind blew from the southwest me and my neighbors had a contest who could catch the most empty beer can cases (excuse to race each other across the snow with our tracked machines), best day for ONE guy was 21 empty beer can cases, 5 pizza cardboards and 8 minnow/ice bags.

Wind would blow from the due south, easterly, north or west we seen nothing, but when it came from the southwest it was trash in the wind all day every time. I will agree there is clearly a MAJOR problem on one corner of the lake with massive amounts of trash.

From what I seen there is a lake wide problem of wheelhouses hiding toilet bags in the snowbanks or shoving them down the hole before they leave, simply because people just don't want to haul a bag of sewage with them, even to shore. Most accesses are doing what they can to pick up trash and keep it clean but bags shoved under the ice are hard to pick up as is a bag frozen half in a hole.

• Thumbs Up 2

I cant understand why it is so hard for a house to set all "bathroom bags" into one area on the ice and let them freeze and pick them up at the end of the weekend!! This is what we have done every time up there and never had a problem...once we had to chip around a bag carefully to get it loose but then we started putting all bags in a bigger bag and it got easier. Just don't understand the poor stewardship of many that visit Red Lake

Unfortunately it isn't just Red. Everywhere. People are pigs sometimes.

Jonny,kelly-p that's sickening.Too bad we can't take it & dump it in their front yards.

Seen a similar deal during the peak of the crappie boom, but then it was minnow bags and 1lb. propane cylinders. Fisherman packed light and many of them were in portables, only a few could afford the new wheelhouses.

Now with so many, and their neighbors and neighbor's brother owning a wheelhouse on a 6 year option pay or interest only loan the garbage amount and type changed. What used to be a sandwich or candy wrapper and 1lb propane cylinder is now, a weekends worth of toilet bags, beer cans, cooking oil, minnow bags, beer cases and all the red Solo cups you find.

We went from one-evening portable villages to full on cities where people live for several days if not a week.

Now take even a small percentage of the thousands of wheel houses dumping trash in and on the lake. Them team that up with a full-scale commercial operation that out right just leaves trash and toilet bags in their wake as they move across the lake you have a problem.

I would love to discuss this more but now I have to go see if the glue held where I stepped on a broken whisky bottle before I take my little hook tool and go untangle another round of toilet bags out of the minnow traps and seines.

Now for a nice bit of information here is what sewage in the water does...mmmm, crappin where ya eat poeple...even most wild animals don't do that.

DISEASES INVOLVING SEWAGE

The following is a list of diseases caused by sewage or sewage contaminated water that can occur in the United States. For more information about methaemoglobinaemia, visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's web site . For more information on any of the other diseases, visit the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's web site

Campylobacteriosis

Campylobacteriosis is the most common diarrheal illness in the United States. The infection is caused by the bacterium Campylobacter. While some people exhibit no symptoms, clinical manifestations include bloody diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and fever within 2 to 5 days after exposure to the organism. In the immunocompromised, Campylobacter occasionally spreads to the bloodstream and causes a life-threatening infection.

Cryptosporidiosis

A disease caused by the microscopic parasite Cryptosporidium parvum. It is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive outside the body for long periods of time and makes it very resistant to chlorine disinfection. Cryptosporidiosis (also known as "Crypto") is the most common waterborne disease in the United States. The parasite is found in every region of the United States and throughout the world. While some people exhibit no symptoms, most experience diarrhea, loose or watery stools, stomach cramps, upset stomach, and a slight fever.

Escherichia coli Diarrhea

Also known as "diarrheogenic E. coli," a disease caused by Escherichia coli bacteria of many different serotypes, including E .coli O157:H7. Escherichia coli can be transmitted by contaminated water or by person-to-person via the fecal-oral route. While some people exhibit no symptoms, most experience watery or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, and fever. In 2-7% of those who acquire E. coli O157:H7 infection, hemolytic uremic syndrome may develop, causing kidney failure and sometimes death. This syndrome occurs particularly in children under the age of 5, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. Some E. coli serotypes are thought to cause chronic diarrhea in HIV-infected patients.

Encephalitis

Two acute, inflammatory viral diseases (St. Louis Encephalitis and West Nile Virus Encephalitis) are transmitted via the bite of infected mosquitoes, primarily of the Culex species. Culex mosquitoes prefer to lay their eggs in heavily polluted water such as that contaminated by sewage. These viruses are amplified during periods of adult mosquito blood-feeding by continuous transmission between mosquito vectors and bird reservoir hosts. Infectious mosquitoes carry viruses in their salivary glands and infect susceptible birds during blood-feeding. Some birds will sustain the virus in their blood stream for one to four days subsequent to exposure, after which they develop life-long immunity. A sufficient number of mosquitoes must feed on an infected bird to ensure that some survive the period during which the blood meal is digested to feed again on another susceptible bird. People are not known to develop infectious levels of the virus, and thus cannot propagate the reservoir-host infection cycle. Most people exhibit no symptoms, and the diseases are of short duration. However, in severe infections symptoms can include high fever with head and body aches, stiff neck, muscle weakness, disorientation, tremors, convulsions and, in the most severe cases, coma or paralysis. The illness can be severe for infants, the elderly, and those who are immunocompromised. No vaccine exists for encephalitis.

Gastroenteritis

Viral gastroenteritis, also known as "stomach flu," is an infection caused by any of a number of viruses including rotaviruses, adenoviruses, caliciviruses, astroviruses, Norwalk virus, and a group of Norwalk-like viruses. However, it is not caused by influenza viruses. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, vomiting, headache, fever, and abdominal cramps. Generally, symptoms begin 1 to 2 days after infection, and my last for 1 to 10 days, depending on the virus involved. The illness can be severe for infants, young children, and those who are disabled, elderly, or immunocompromised, if they cannot drink enough fluids to replace what they lose through vomiting or diarrhea.

Giardiasis

A disease caused by the one-celled microscopic parasite Giardia intestinalis (also known as Giardia lamblia). The parasite is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive outside the body for long periods of time. Giardiasi is one of the most common waterborne diseases in the United States. The parasite is found in every region of the United States and the world. While some people exhibit no symptoms, most experience diarrhea, loose or watery stools, stomach cramps, and upset stomach.

Hepatitis A

A liver disease caused by the virus Hepatitis A. Symptoms include jaundice, fatigue, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea, and fever. Adults will exhibit symptoms of Hepatitis A more often than children. About 15% of those infected will have prolonged or relapsing symptoms over a 6-9 month period. One-third of Americans are immune to Hepatitis A because of past infection.

Leptospirosis

A disease caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira. While some people exhibit no symptoms, clinical manifestations include high fever, severe headache, chills, muscle aches, vomiting, jaundice, red eyes, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or a rash. Left untreated, Leptospirosis will cause kidney damage, meningitis, liver failure, respiratory distress, and in rare cases, death.

Methaemoglobinaemia

Methaemoglobinaemia (also known as "blue-baby syndrome") is a poisoning that can occur in infants during the first few months of life due to ingestion of well water high in nitrates. Improperly designed septic systems installed in sandy soils are known to cause nitrate contamination of groundwater. Infants who breast-feed can be poisoned if their mothers drink water high in nitrates. Symptoms include shortness of breath and blueness of the skin, and death can occur within a few days. An infant's stomach has a different pH than that of adults and older children. Poisoning occurs when the infant's stomach converts nitrate to nitrite, which interferes with the oxygen-carrying capacity of its blood. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has established a maximum contaminant level for nitrate in drinking water of 10 milligrams per liter, expressed as Nitrogen, or 45 milligrams per liter, expressed as Nitrate. Boiling of water does not remove nitrates; it only increases the concentration.

Poliomyelitis

A disease caused by the Poliomylitis virus. While most exposed people exhibit no symptoms, some experience sore throat, fever, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, constipation, and occasionally diarrhea. However, less than 1% of those infected suffer paralysis. Most recover completely, and muscle function returns to some degree. However, any weakness or paralysis that remains 12 months after infection is usually permanent.

Salmonellosis

A disease caused by a group of bacteria called Salmonella, the most common of which are Salmonella typhimurium and Salmonella enteritidis. Symptoms include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most people recover without treatment. However, the disease can be severe for infants, young children, and those who are disabled, elderly, or immunocompromised, if they cannot drink enough fluids to replace what they lose through vomiting or diarrhea. Left untreated, Salmonella can spread from the intestines to the blood stream, to other sites, and can cause death.

Shigellosis

Shigellosis (also known as "Bacillary Dysentery") is caused by a group of bacteria called Shigella. Shigella sonnei and Shigella flexneri account for most of the Shigellosis in the United States. While some people experience no symptoms, most develop bloody diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps starting a day or two after exposure. Shigellosis usually resolves in 5 to 7 days, but it can be severe for infants, young children, and those who are disabled, elderly, or immunocompromised, if they cannot drink enough fluids to replace what they lose through diarrhea. A severe infection with high fever may lead to seizures in children less than 2 years old.

Paratyphoid Fever

A disease caused by a group of bacteria called Salmonella paratyphi. Symptoms are similar to that of Typhoid Fever, but are milder, with fewer deaths.

Typhoid Fever

A disease caused by the bacteria Salmonella typhi, which lives only in the bloodstream and intestinal tract of humans. Symptoms include a sustained fever as high as 104ºF, weakness, cough, stomach pains, headache, and loss of appetite. Some patients have a rash of flat, rose-colored spots. Persons given antibiotics usually begin to feel better within 2 to 3 days, and death rarely occurs. Fever can continue for weeks and months in those who do not receive antibiotics. Of those not treated 20% will die from complications related to the infection. A small number of people, known as carriers, recover from Typhoid Fever but continue to carry the bacteria. Both ill persons and carriers shed Salmonella typhi in their stools. Even after symptoms recede, a person can still carry Salmonella typhi, in which case the illness could return or be passed on to others. For that reason it is imperative that patients keep taking antibiotics for the full length of time prescribed by their doctor. Those suffering from Typhoid Fever must not prepare food or serve it to others.

Yersiniosis

A disease caused by a family of rod-shaped bacteria called Yersinia. In the United States, Yersiniosis is caused only by Yersinia enterocolitica. Yersiniosis occurs most often in young children. It causes a variety of symptoms depending on the age of the person infected. Symptoms in children include fever, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, which is often bloody. In older children and adults, symptoms include right-sided abdominal pain, fever, and occasionally skin rash or joint pain. Symptoms typically develop 4 to 7 days after exposure and may last 1 to 3 weeks or longer. Most infections are uncomplicated and resolve completely. In a few cases the bacteria can spread to the bloodstream.

So glad I work in on the lake almost 200 days a year.

Halad,

I'm west of you and I'm sick of this. I spent a ton of time filling bags last spring cleaning up the mess on my beach and along 23. Is there a way I can talk to you off line, I'm thinking it time to push for some regulations which I'm not sure is a Shotley Township issue or Beltrami County but either way this need to change.

I'll be back up in a couple weeks, let me know when you can talk.

Thanks,

Quote:
I'm thinking it time to push for some regulations which I'm not sure is a Shotley Township issue or Beltrami County but either way this need to change.

I would guess that Beltrami County's Environmental Services will be doing something before next winter. They are very aware of the problem as a lot of people are very upset with ice fishermen.

Quote:
Is the url association having a cleanup day?

The Association arranged for the kids from Kelliher School to clean up along highway #72 and possibly part of County #23 (THANKS KIDS!!!! laugh ) but having them or someone else clean up along the lakeshore runs into a lot of issues.

What can be done? Bigger fines, more enforcement. I haven't been checked by a warden in 2-yrs.

and have never seen a Sheriff Dep.

Maybe its time to outlaw all wheel and skid houses on minnesota lakes. The same mess is on every lake.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jonny,kelly-p that's sickening.Too bad we can't take it & dump it in their front yards.

It is to bad that there are groups that have no regard for the lake however there are many that do. With the increase in winter fishing pressure we will have to put in place new regulations. It's not just one type of fisherman or the other the problem is across the board. Rogers has always had dumpsters in fact 3 of them filled every weekend, every resort should have one free of charge to its guests. It should be part of the road pass then the temptation to toss it wouldn't be there.

• Thumbs Up 4

I know this sounds crazy and I'll probably get some flak, but maybe it's time to consider a refundable deposit with the road pass. Bring a bag in and get your money back. Likely wouldn't solve the problem, but might help. 

• Thumbs Up 2

but maybe it's time to consider a refundable deposit with the road pass.

A good idea but we should not have to pay people to properly dispose of their garbage and human waste.   On an average winter weekend on URL the population and the resulting garbage and sewage is the same as an average MN town. That I know of every road/access point except for two places has a free dumpster. 

Some people that have a place on the lake came up for the first time this past week. They picked up 27 white bags of "something" from the beach in front of their place. To avoid becoming contaminated with what was in the bags they wore boots, gloves and used a pitchfork to pick them up. How would any of you reading this feel if you found that fishermen had thrown 27 bags of something in your front yard?  What would you think of fishermen?

Guys, with all due respect, enact "new regulations"? Really?

There are already laws in place to prevent this from happening.  Laws against littering.  Laws against improper disposal of waste.  Laws against burying trash.

The problem is....People don't care!  The only way this can change, or laws and regulations can work, is that you actually CATCH them in the act!  Best of luck with that!

If anything, perhaps the resorts, all accesses, and maybe even the lakeshore associations can post LOTS of signage discouraging littering, and provide an abundance of dumpsters at accesses, or even on the lake for trash, and special dumpsters for sewage?

Give these knuckleheads ample places to discard their garbage appropriately, and maybe, just maybe, this issue will get at least a little bit better?

• Thumbs Up 1

wow that is crasy sad, as a wheel house owner, dont think outlawing them on MN lakes is logical. and not because Im a wheel house owner, one think that should happen is as Local Co doing checks, as they make their rounds, ticket people for having anything outside their house not contained from the wind, Ive seen the boxes of beer cases outside ready to take air, plastic grocerie bags waiting for deployment, I keep all my incidentals in coolers and contained from the wind, even a auger cover has the potentail to get lost in the wind, if your encampment has the potentail for littering you should cited. Bag waiste? have a five gal. buckett with a lid in the back of the truck and lett it freeze there.not outside of your house, it will freeze in, or get drifted over. let it freeze in a bucket and dispose of it at home, its yours. Cant imagine those peoples own bathroom. If your encampment isnt evironmentaly tidey, you should be ticketed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When they sign up for a $10 lake access, they pay $16.  It comes with a garbage bag, and when they bring it back full, with their lake access pass, they get a $5.00 refund.  The extra $1 helps pay for the dumpster.  The county would have to make the deposit mandatory by anyone selling lake access, so one outfit couldn't have a competitive advantage by not selling them.

It sickens me that people bury their trash in the snow.  Are they really that stupid, that they don't know what's going to happen when the ice melts?

I was just walking by one of the local lakes in the cities here, with my wife.  We were commenting about the amount of trash in the water.  It makes me sick.

• Thumbs Up 2

Popularity = commercialization

Commercialization = exploitation. 

In my humble opinion this situation on Red bears little resemblance to the crappie boom of the early to mid 2000s. When I first met kelly-P on this site in 2001 and subsequently went up to start fishing there, I was met by a COMMUNITY. A group of people who genuinely cared about their local economy coming back, who genuinely cared about their customers, and who genuinely cared about the resource. 

Since the wildly successful return of the walleyes to Red, it has turned in to an all out money grab by more outside interests than you can shake a stick at. It is rapidly poisoning a great resource and is well on its way to causing another collapsed fishery. Leaving the now minority locals powerless to stop it,  and leaving them nothing more than the mess to clean up.

Absolutely makes me sad!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 4

, every resort should have one free of charge to its guests. It should be part of the road pass then the temptation to toss it wouldn't be there.

​I've said this for years.  Rogers has one right as you come off the lake, and I saw this year that Beacon Harbor has one as you drive by, how about all the other access roads? We caught hell one year at Westwind for throwing garbage in their dumpster ("thats a private dumpster") and one year when we used Hillmans, to find a trash dumpster you had to go across the road and its not very well marked. 

Having a dumpster at EVERY access, easily accessible, with good signage would go a long way to solving the problem.

Satchmo hit it dead on.

I spent some time yesterday taking a few pictures of the trash as requested by the powers that be.   One landowner said he cleans his 120 feet of  beach every couple days, and averages about four bags each time. Like jellyfish washing up on the ocean, we have toilet bags steadily coming out of the deep with every west wind. 

The first wave of debri  is propane cylinders, insulating foam, bobbers, fish house blocking and un-opened containers including perfectly sealed and preserved bags of human waste with air in the bag to float it. The second wave is empty beer cans, bottles and then the half full toilet bags, some water, and natural debri, but still waste in the bag including wet wipes and even feminine products.  The third wave is the "jelly fish" bags, empty torn open garbage bags washing back and forth in the tide like white jelly fish.

Here are pictures from a single property on the SE shore, 166 feet of shoreline that has already been cleaned up once this year.The last picture is looking south with arrows marking the debri I could see without trespassing. 

DSC02821.thumb.JPG.7791e9bec65b2a3f99be0DSC02822.thumb.JPG.701783e570544fa5dd4e4DSC02822.thumb.JPG.701783e570544fa5dd4e4DSC02823.thumb.JPG.2dba702fa8313135085b8DSC02824.thumb.JPG.b853fcb0a4701cda3f81bDSC02825.thumb.JPG.112859c8c9f6685daed83DSC02828.thumb.JPG.df1964e8329c97922817dDSC02832.thumb.JPG.4f877785bc1f5411dabd1DSC02830.thumb.JPG.e2222bd6c38254e588796DSC02835.thumb.JPG.ca6d10bae723998e852afDSC02837.thumb.JPG.12cb033e0e404443aa848DSC02839.thumb.JPG.927e92a34b684caf47163DSC02841.thumb.JPG.8b1e964bed3eb1ace4cf9DSC02842.thumb.JPG.ac5eeac14e56a73be8c2dDSC02844.thumb.JPG.53e1c464d52327e299083DSC02845.thumb.JPG.240ff116b4887987fcd3d

marked_trash.thumb.jpg.6cfa6cf84faaf6ea9

Edited by Red Lake Remote
had a hard time learneing the new upload process.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sad that people have to be such pigs.  How hard is it to pick up after yourself, just bring your junk unto shore and throw it away.  Just be respectful of others.

and if there isn't a dumpster throw it away at your house, not that big of a deal.  Local boy/girl scouts should put those can collection crates at the landings so they can cash in on the aluminum...