• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

Here is the fishing report 3/3/09

This weekend was somewhat slower but the fish were still biting. While more and more people were moving in shallower I moved deeper just a few feet from 9 feet of water out to 11.5 feet of water. The fish was slower but I feel like it was a better quality bite. Once again moon glows blues and charts worked best. I would also still suggest looking for good weed cover. It seems like the fish feel much safer and willing to bite on those spots. As I also was up about 3 feet off the bottom. Good luck.

Here is the fishing report 3/3/09

This weekend was somewhat slower but the fish were still biting. While more and more people were moving in shallower I moved deeper just a few feet from 9 feet of water out to 11.5 feet of water. The fish was slower but I feel like it was a better quality bite. Once again moon glows blues and charts worked best. I would also still suggest looking for good weed cover. It seems like the fish feel much safer and willing to bite on those spots. As I also was up about 3 feet off the bottom. Good luck.

thats panfish right? im gonna head out soon and i have no clue where to look for panfish. im gonna be on le homme dieu

yup thats correct bud and le homme deiu would be a great place to start!

haha it was completely barren out there! i could see 1 person fishing outside there truc by rodery other wise that was it. but i picked a random area and started fishing and i got some HUGE perch! the biggest i have ever seen come out of the homme dieu for sure!

03-05-09_1632.jpg

03-05-09_1633.jpg

03-05-09_1634.jpg

haha i live right on le homme dieu. so it was pretty much my only choice. but i was suprised to see le homme deiu was absolutly deserted. i seen only 1 guy fishing by his truck on rodery. but that was it! i have never seen le hommedieu so dead!

but i left before i got that reply. lol

but wow i never expected to catch fish like that in a randomly chosen area lol

Lake Waska-Could you drive on by the public access in town? How about the glenwood beach access? Looking to catch some sunnies but haven't been out on waska this year yet. What depth seems to be the best, morning/night etc.

Thanks much, looking for some action and fish to eat

yesterday was alot slower. i caught 2 quality fish. but i had a problem with pike. they would charge in at my bait and spook everything

03-06-09_1705.jpg

Drove up from the cities to fish Miltona from 8 am until noon this past Friday. Other commitments limited our time to fish but we made the most of it. Set up in an area near a few other people. 7-9 feet of water held lots of sunfish, many of which were very small. Fortunately the warm weather kept many previously drilled holes open and we were able to move around without drilling. Found one hole away from the crowds in 13 feet of water that was holding crappies. Drilled a few more holes in that area but found the fish to be extremely concentrated right in that first hole. About every ten minutes or so a school of fish would move through. Sometimes they bit, sometimes they didn't. Also lost our fair share. The bite was best from 10 to 11 am when the crowd of people was making tons of racket, driving trucks, drilling holes, dragging houses ( I think the commotion actually pushed the fish to us). Ended up keeping 13 crappies between 10 and 13.5 inches, and 8 sunfish between 8 and 9 inches. Large Gill Pills with red and white Euro Larva caught the most fish. Managed a couple on a 1/8 oz jigging spoon, mostly by accident as it was only intended to draw them in to our other lines.

i did alot of moving on le homme dieu trying to find the perch again yesterday. had some trouble with the northerns. i ended up with 2 jumbos. i also caught numerous bragging size le homme dieu perch from 8 to 9 inches. as well as a few average ones. seen quite a few sunfish. but nothing quality size like the first day.

most of the fish came of of wax worms. but both the jumbos came off of a northland forage minnow spoon with a 3" dropper and a minnow head jigged agressively. i also would pound it on the bottom every once in a while. and that drew in most of the 8 and 9 inchers.

all the fish came out of 7 to 13 feet of water.

03-09-09_1849.jpg

03-09-09_1848.jpg

Well the fishing this weekend was steady. We went out and tried a few new things and it paid off well. We managed some nice sunnies. We had a group rent a house this weekend for a day and caught some nice Crappies. It seemed to us that you had to get away from the groups where the fish weren't pressured. Moon glows and rat finks seemed to work best for us. As for the crappies blue moon glows with Crappie minnows. Depths ranged but 9 to 13 feet seemed to be working best. Good Luck

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzQuanBn.jpg

KathyCrappie.jpg

Well the fishing this weekend was steady. We went out and tried a few new things and it paid off well. We managed some nice sunnies. We had a group rent a house this weekend for a day and caught some nice Crappies. It seemed to us that you had to get away from the groups where the fish weren't pressured. Moon glows and rat finks seemed to work best for us. As for the crappies blue moon glows with Crappie minnows. Depths ranged but 9 to 13 feet seemed to be working best. Good Luck

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzQuanBn.jpg

KathyCrappie.jpg

what lake did you get the crappie on!? i want to get into some crappie this weekend

schr0563, were you fishing on the north side of Miltona or the West end?

Also, how much snow did the Alex area pick up today. I am thinking about heading up there this weekend and wanted to know what the travel conditions were going to be like. Thanks in advance!

We were on the north end. I've wanted to try the west end but living in the twin cities doesn't give me many opportunities to get out and explore the lake. I owe much of our success to hhguide for pointing me in the right direction earlier in the season.

I didn't need an extension on Miltona last weekend. It was thick enough to use up the whole auger though.

has anybody else been out recently, I've never needed an extension on Miltona but if I do need one then I'm going to have to ask around to borrow one from somebody.

Thanks

After this weekend the snow is gone and the fish have moved up shallow. We are starting to see fish move into the pencil reeds on some lakes. With temperatures going to be in the 50s all week. I would guess that more and more fish will start to move shallow. The bite has been best from depths 7 to 10 feet of water. Perch are biting best in the mornings and also evenings with minnows and jigging spoons. As for the sunnies they are biting all day long on wax worms and euro larva. Crappies are really starting to school up in suspended holes or also move up into the shallow pencil reeds. I would guess that the fishing can only get better with the rising temperatures and spring in the air, soon enough we will have the late ice!

i have given up on ice fishing. i have been preparing for spring crappies! i just need to buy about $200 more worth of tackle and i will be restocked and set for this year wink

carpman,

Why did you give up on ice fishing? In other posts you seemed to sound like there were a few more weeks left.

Was it the ice condititions?

I have been on the lakes this week and don't seem to be to concerned yet but I am sure there is only a week left of safe ice.

carpman,

Why did you give up on ice fishing? In other posts you seemed to sound like there were a few more weeks left.

Was it the ice condititions?

I have been on the lakes this week and don't seem to be to concerned yet but I am sure there is only a week left of safe ice.

i dont know. i loose ambition to go fishing after a while. which is understandable since i have to pull my fish house an auger and all my tackle for over a mile to get to the lake (no car so i have to walk)

While I didnt get out this weekend the reports were alittle slow. Fishing seemed to slow this weekend with the changing weather i.e high winds and rain. I personally think the fish are really on the move right now. So if you catch a few nice fish and then it shuts down, I would be ready to move around whether it be shallower or deeper. This time of year its most likely shallower. The reports of people catching fish still seemed up be by standing weeds, on either moon glows or fiskas but small in size and profile. Crappies have still be biting in the cabbage beds, on small minnows. As for ice conditions, mainy of the lakes still have over 20 inches of ice. As the weather continues to warm, I would recomend less and less driving trucks out and more walking. Good luck to all!

Just a quick update on the ice conditions. Many of the shore lines have started to pull away with all the rain. Yet many of the lakes have good ice on them. I would caution everyone going out to be careful and possible bring life jackets along as more rain and high winds can really rip into the ice. good luck to all. If you have questions on spefic lakes feel free to email me.

is reno still accessable off the hiway? have'nt heard anything lately but would like to try it this afternoon, thanks

It was just fine yesterday There were a few 4 wheelrs running around out there

There was actually a car out there yesterday as well. I'd be fishing but have major cramming to do for my speech class tomorrow night.. i bet they are bitin like mosquitos in mid july with the storm coming tomorrow

Well, after a couple of weeks of nice weather , winter is back in the northland!

when winter is here, ice fishing is dear, so off to the hard water I went!

I was invited last week up to the Alex area for some pan fish action. The ice was plenty hard, but really bumpy and hard to walk on. We tried the spot that was producing last weekend, but nothing around but tiny perch, We moved in near shore and cut some holes, and it was fish on right away, Only it was a walleye!

We tried a little longer but nothing was there.

We tried cutting a few more holes with out any action. I ended up hitting some holes left behind by other anglers who I saw picking up some fish before leaving, so i went over and found a reed bet there in 8 ft of water! kind of strange, but it was a good spot! We got lots of crappies and sunfish with an occasional largemouth bass to spice things up! I started with a fatboy and red maggots, tried upsizing to a flyer spoon with no success, then went to a medium ratso plastic to target crappies, as the maggots were getting too many smaller gills

http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/2009/03/well-after-couple-of-weeks-of-nice.html

MT

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured