• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

2020 Alexandria-Miltona MN Fishing Reports - Click Here. Show us your pics!

Go ahead and post Alexandria Minnesota ( MN ) Area fishing reports only in this thread.

Lot's of good info below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow. Thanks.

crappies are up shallow, sight fishing along reed beds is a good idea.

pike are in weed beds, my bigger pike have been coming off spearing decoys on a quick strike rig.

alot of panfish are along reed beds and any other weed beds. eurolarvea are producing more crappie and sunfish then minnows.

walleye i have found in 20' deep runs between points, islands, and offshore humps.

i caught a few 5lb class fish in a 20 foot hole on the main lake bay on le hommedieu just south of government point.

I thought I would post some general information. As of late the walleye bite has started to slow down in most areas but they are still being caught. Look on weedlines that have points and inside corners. Plain hook and minnow would be a good choice for most lakes. The crappies and sunnies are hitting around the area, but the travel is limited if you put into a little time and find a school I would set up shop and wouldnt plan on moving much. Lindy rattling spoons for crappies and really small hooks/jigs for sunnies. Is what I have found is working best. good luck. I will try to be posting weekly to help FMERS out!

Here is this weeks report. With the colder temperatures the walleye fishing has slowed for the most part but in some areas but the crappies and nice sunfish are really starting to bite on the cabbage beds or sometimes suspending out in 20 to 30 feet of water. With the colder temperatures I am either downsizing or make my lure bigger than normal to try and intise those bigger fish to bite. Good Luck. With the warmer temperatures expected this weekend I'm hoping the walleyes will start to pick up for a few last swings before the end of the season.

Thanks for the report HH. Do you ever fish Ida? If so, any thoughts on what depth I should start looking for walleyes? I have not been in the Alex area for about a month. We were getting them in about 20ft along the weed line, but only for a short time at dawn and dusk.

I'm meeting some friends there for a weekend of fishing. We'll be on the lake most of the day, so my guess is we'll need to be in shallow 20ish in the morning and evening, and out deeper 25-35 during the day, but that is just a guess. Alot can change in a month. About half of the guys do not fish much at all, so I'm hoping we can get them on the fish so they have fun. They don't enjoy just being out there quite as much as me. :-) I'll sit there all day staring at my electronics with no bites and call it a great day. Any help on where to start drilling would be much appreciated.

Oh, also, we have typically fished the shore breaks, so you think we need to go out to the humps to find the walleye, or will they still be roaming around? Any idea?

Josher shoot me an email I can help you out on depths alittle I have been out on ida in about that long either but I can suggest a few things

The fishing report for this past weekend. Firday night before the warmup we caught a few walleyes but the bite was slow. On saturday we ended up with a group trageting some panfish and did well. Catching both Crappies and Sunnies in 12 to 13 feet in thick weed beds. On sunday the bite slowed significantly so we shifted gears and went after some perch. Ended up catching 12 perch 9.5 to 11 inches. Those were up real shallow 6 to 7 feet on a large flat. With the weather warming up I hope the fishing will sustain for a good late season bite. Also good luck for any of you fishing in the Alexandria Ice Fishing Challenge.

alex contest what are the deepths that we will be fishing and what part of the lake is it at ? also seems to me that the lake has alot of weeds in it doesnt that hinder you sight fishing ?

The fishing report for this past weekend. Firday night before the warmup we caught a few walleyes but the bite was slow. On saturday we ended up with a group trageting some panfish and did well. Catching both Crappies and Sunnies in 12 to 13 feet in thick weed beds. On sunday the bite slowed significantly so we shifted gears and went after some perch. Ended up catching 12 perch 9.5 to 11 inches. Those were up real shallow 6 to 7 feet on a large flat. With the weather warming up I hope the fishing will sustain for a good late season bite. Also good luck for any of you fishing in the Alexandria Ice Fishing Challenge.

HH, Were you on Ida? I'm thinking of making a run up there next weekend and I have 4-Wheeler, no sled. Last time I went up the slush and snow made it nearly impossible to travel. Any advice you can give on wheeler travel would be appreciated.

Chef, I have not been on Ida or Miltona for a couple of weeks. We are targetting some of the smaller lakes. The slush and water problems have diminished considerably on most of the lakes. I have not had any problems moving around with my wheeler, on most of the small lakes.

Four of us spent Friday and Saturday on the ice.

Started at Minnewaska on Friday morning. We caught bluegill after bluegill for two hours straight, but not a single one was over 8 inches so we packed it in and headed to Miltona.

Was on the lake by 4:30. Tried to get to our evening walleye spot but got stuck several times and ended up setting up .6 miles from our "honey hole." We were disappointed, and after digging out we were in no condition to walk to the spot. Only got 4 small fish in 32 feet of water as the sun went down. Tried shallower as well, up to 15 feet, and didn't even mark a fish.

Next morning we went back to Miltona in search of panfish. Ended up getting about 30 bluegills and 8 really nice crappies. Caught them in about 10-12 feet of water on a weedy flat.

The Report for 2/9/09

This past weekend with the warmer temperatures people were out fishing everywhere. Crappies and sunnies are still biting in the thick weed beds. As for the walleyes were tried a bit deeper and did well fishing depths from 24 to 28 feet of water. With Lindy forage minnows or plain hooks and fat heads. Good luck only a few more weeks left to chase the walleyes so get your time in.

I checked the Weather Web site to get a feel for the amount of Rain that just fell the past two days and I didn't see that it had rained in the Alex area at all--but, by the looks of some newer posts it looks like it rained.

If you have any updates on travel conditions specifically on Ida I would appreciate them. I'm using the 4-Wheeler this weekend.

Well i went out on wednesday and got my house off lake mary and the main road out was under water of about 6" most the way out.got to my house witch was under 2" of water. Still some snow out there but a lot of water.and yes we got a lot of rain.rained off and for three days one day was a good dousing all day and night.I live on maple lake and its still covered with snow all hard.i imagine its all froze now but probably will find some slush pockets.

Yes we seem to be in our own world here, the snow just will not go away, hopefuly soon, This is the year I have fished the least around here in a long time. But late Ice out should make for a nice panfish run as the Ice does go off. I wouldn't hold out a bunch of hope for stringers of walleyes right now. There isn't much hapening anywhere here now. You are better off sorting through some panfish at least you can have some fun and get a meal.I live in Garfield and the guys that I know are not catching much now.

The Alexandria Lakes area was hot this past weekend. With the warming temperatures and spring weather on the mind the sunnies and crappies were really snapping on the baits. Fishing depths are from 9 to 11 feet of water in green weed beds. With the warming temperatures also came the walleye bite, with some people reporting some nice fish being caught and released. Those depths ranged but primarily 23 to 27 feet of water. Good luck!

Any suggestions on what lake to try and where? I don't ice fish much but might be up in Alex this weekend and would like to take my son out to catch some crappies, sunnies or bluegills. My wife's parents live on Latoka but we haven't had much luck on that lake in the past. Any suggestions on lake and where to go on the lake would be appreciated.

HHGUIDE,

We like to hit Lehomme D.., I'll butcher the name, lake. We come on the access by lake Carlos, is this access still in good condition? I am thinking of coming up Sunday.

Thanks!

Any suggestions on what lake to try and where? I don't ice fish much but might be up in Alex this weekend and would like to take my son out to catch some crappies, sunnies or bluegills. My wife's parents live on Latoka but we haven't had much luck on that lake in the past. Any suggestions on lake and where to go on the lake would be appreciated.

well you can get a few fish on LeHomideu straight out in front of the west access where the croud is about 200 yards out or so, some sorting but you can have some fun and sight fish in shallower about 10 feet. Ask around out there and someone will show you where to fish for some sunnies.

Yes the access is fine. the best fishing will be coming up later but you can get a few now. this is FCS by the way.

Mike DaLoia and I have spent the past 3 days on the ice chasing panfish. The best depths have been from 9 to 6-feet. The shallow water coontail is holding the most fish, the coontail it's self looks really bad when you pull some up... don't let that bother you it's still hold panfish. "Gills" were going all day long on the lakes we checked. Crappies are transitioning to a evening bite. Most of the lakes are now easy to travel on with a wheeler, rough but manageable. Todays cold front ( dropped 10 degrees this morning) may shut everything down for a couple of days.

Fished Osakis yesterday with a light bite. The weather front that came through may have threw them off a bit. We ended up with about 20 crappies for 2 guys, keeping about half.

well you can now travel pretty easy most anywhere every thing froze solid where I was and there is really no snow, the ice is somewhat bumpy but you can venture at least.

I am just getting the information out on the fishing report for this weekend. With the snow now the fishing has been great the past few days in the shallows for sunnies and crappies. Now with the snow it will make travel more difficult but I think with all the people having to get there houses off the lake people will be using snow plows to get out there so many of the community spots, I think you would be able to get out too. Moon glows and waxies have been working best. If the bite slows I would think about putting a small crappie minnow down the other hole to intice those big sunnies and crappies. Colors that have been working best are yellows and chart, or blues! Good luck this weekend. Make sure to bring a shovel and gloves just in case.

• The title was changed to 2020 Alexandria-Miltona area Fishing Reports ( Lake conditions)
  • The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unfeatured