• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turkey Reports?

Guppy

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Not hunting yet. I will be out with the crossbow April 30th. I would have had my nephews out but my wonderful brother in law will not let them, because he is mad at my wife.

• 3 weeks later...

This cold weather and rain is making it hard to head out to the woods to hunt for a turkey, I might head out later today. I seen so many turkeys on highway 23 from Milaca to Mora on Friday. I am thinking I need to head north and find a spot to hunt.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

They'very been out in the mornings when I drive to Mora.  Several nice toms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed Borch! I will need to go knock on some doors and hit up some friends who live up that way.  I was making my way Friday morning to the cabin near Grand Marais and thought man I should be turkey hunting today instead of going up to the cabin. O well I think I might sneak out to my dad's later or some public land that has been holding some turkeys.

I will be out starting Friday morning trying to get a youngster on his 1st turkey. Will have pics and report from this hunt then.

Been really quiet this week. What little gobbling is heard from the roost has been almost nonexistent after they hit the ground.  I believe mid day might be best right now, after the hens are back on their nests.

DSC02190.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

20150515_102407.thumb.jpg.3a9c12bcc19ed6Preparing for an after school hunt. The boy is excited. We scouted our area and he saw a big Tom not 40 yds from our setup.

• Thumbs Up 1

This morning sounded awesome gobbles here, gobbles there, gobbles everywhere. They were a ways away, but not that far. About 6:10 I hear gobbles getting closer and closer. I see the top of the fan crest the the rise. He is about 50 yards and I can now see his head. He comes out of strut and runs into about 30 yards and then!! Here comes a wonderful yellow lab busting through my decoys. The tom turned and ran with the yellow lab chasing after it. That is my luck when it comes to hunting these crazy birds. I thought well maybe there might be another turkey later. O here comes the owner at 8:30 am screaming for their dog.  I decided I would pack up my stuff after that. Seeing they sat in the parking lot and honked their horn about 15 times. I went and checked another area out and saw 3 toms on my way there cruising for hens. I think I might run out to my old man's and try siting in his field for while. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Two hens so far. Now a third...14317334196131995326512.thumb.jpg.dec291

upside down pic. Hen is there. Right now.

1431780790443-1931131677.thumb.jpg.c7ce6We had a gobbler moving toward us this morning.  A real hen must have waylaid him.

Edited by Rick

Tough. tough, tough week. Dang little gobbling heard. Those that talk don't want to play.  Very few showing themselves out in the fields.  Toughest stretch I can remember in recent years.  Getting harder and harder to get out of bed at 4 am day after day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Big skunk for Mason and I as well. We had one gobbling at us coming our way. He was waylaid by another hen before he got within 80 yds of us.

Heard more gobbling this morning than the last two weeks combined.  Three longbeards landed right by me, then two real hens came and took them away.  :(

• Thumbs Up 1

20150515_102407.thumb.jpg.3a9c12bcc19ed6Preparing for an after school hunt. The boy is excited. We scouted our area and he saw a big Tom not 40 yds from our setup.

​What's with the antlers Rick? Did you try to rattle them in? :crazy:

​Whats working for decoys this late in the season now?  Lone hen??

​Whats working for decoys this late in the season now?  Lone hen??

​Boy, if you figure it out, please let me know.  I have not found ANYTHING that works for two weeks now.

It was tough for us. The antlers fell off my desk. Come to think of it, the way calling was working, I couldn't have done any worse trying to rattle them in :D

Come to think of it, the way calling was working, I couldn't have done any worse trying to rattle them in :D

​That's what I was wondering. Nothing's been working for me lately.  If the antlers had any affect, I'd sure give 'em a try.

• Thumbs Up 1

New spot this morning. Bunch of birds up on the neighboring property. At least 4 toms and 5 jakes among them. Called in one hen that came running. She hung around for an hour, clucking and yelping the whole time. The other birds totally ignored us. Where the heck are those rattling antlers? :grin:

• Thumbs Up 1

You'll get one dumb one to show up.  It takes just one...l

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been having some unreal tough luck with the bow.  The birds I have hunted will respond well in the mornings but as soon as they hit the ground it is zero chatter.  I have had birds spook from a jake and hen setup, from just a hen, to not working at all for no decoys.  I have never seen a late season this difficult.  It seems like about 2pm is magic hour from what I have seen.  Landowners have told me the birds are out in the afternoons and are actually vocal then.  Got a few days left!

• Thumbs Up 2