• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red Lake fishing pressure smashes record

kelly-p

A hot bite: Red Lake fishing pressure smashes record

Article by: DOUG SMITH , Star Tribune

Updated: February 24, 2015 - 8:25 PM

A red-hot walleye bite and ideal ice conditions lured a record number of anglers

to Upper Red Lake this winter.

Through January, officials tallied 1.5 million angling hours, easily besting the

record 1 million set last winter.

“It was crazy,’’ said Gary Barnard, Department of Natural Resources area

fisheries manager in Bemidji. “With the Internet, word of a hot bite spreads

quickly, and people are very mobile now with these wheeled ice-fishing houses.

“It was pretty incredible to see all the houses coming up on those peak

weekends. It was quite a rush.’’

How hot was Red Lake? Fishing pressure there might have exceeded that of Lake of

the Woods, which averages about 1.5 million hours each winter. If so, it likely

would be a first, Barnard said.

Red Lake anglers harvested 127,000 pounds of walleyes through January. “We were

hoping to be at 116,000 pounds for the whole winter,’’ Barnard said. So,

starting Jan. 23, the DNR reduced the walleye bag limit from three to two. A 17-

to 26-inch protected slot had been in effect since Dec. 1, with one walleye over

26 inches allowed.

The safe walleye harvest level for the entire year is 168,000 pounds, so the DNR

might have to retain the two-fish bag when the open-water season opens in May,

Barnard said. Harvest restrictions are necessary to comply with a joint walleye

harvest plan agreement with the Red Lake Band of Chippewa.

“We’re in uncharted territory,” Barnard said. He said the walleye population

remains strong, and the DNR will meet with band members to discuss the situation

before regulations are set for spring. It might be possible to allow the higher

walleye harvest, Barnard said.

The winter walleye season on inland waters ended Sunday.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kelly-p

• bturck

• James_R

• delcecchi

A lot of discussion will be taking place over several weeks to address the harvest issue and rightly so. Tough decisions that will affect those of us who fish the lake,and those whose economic interest is in the lake.

One area that I feel also needs some dicussion is the Red Lake Crappie. Is there a resurgence happening because they have not been targeted since the walleye has once gain taken over top billing? If I personally had a vote it would be to drop the limit on crappie to 5 daily ... 5 in possession. Protecting that specie in my humble opinion would make sense to promote continued quality and

diversification.

Good luck to those who have the decision making at hand. The future of this truly great place on earth needs to be first and foremost, not my individual right.

Why not just close crappie for 3 years and see if they rebound ? Have to remember though, a lake can only support so many pounds of fish. Is there food there to support both walleye and crappie ? I don't think we can have it both ways.

I will do my best in the next few weeks to talk fishermen into only keeping a meal of these very special, beautiful fish. They should step in and make it 5 tomorrow as far as I'm concerend. I plan to keep about 4 the rest of the season to consume. We have 5 mounted and it would have to be a very special fish for me to get another mounted, all though I have always wanted to have one mounted in the alligators mouth in Florida fish house but I may just take one of the four we have on the wall for that. They are just so fun to catch and are amazing to see the vibrant, iradencint colors on them. And the size is amazing ,we grow them big here on such a grand lake.

The State waters of URL are 48,000 acres. The State waters of LOW are 307,000 acres, LOW total acres, (State and Canada) are 950,000 acres. So if I am figuring this right we are putting almost 6 1/2 times more pressure per acre on URL then the State waters of LOW. crazy

That is a tremendous amount of fishing pressure! Dropping the limit is only a Band-Aid solution. The pressure needs to be relieved. The only way to do that would be to go to a 0 fish limit, close the lake completely or limit the number of fishermen on the lake at any given time. This year the bite was hot, LOTW's was not, lack of snow made it easy to get the wheel houses on the lake, so many people forgot about LOTW's and went to Red instead. Even with a 2 fish limit the people kept coming. In my opinion, the only way to limit the pressure would be to forbid plowing roads on the lake. The lake could still be fished, but with some difficulty. The resorts would have to adapt in how they get their customers out to the houses, but could still make a living. But it would sure stop the wheel houses from coming and that would do wonders for cutting the harvest down.

How about just make the rest of the lakes in Minnesota to fish as good as Red? (Add hilarious laughter here.) I've been reading too much in sillytown.

Yes it probably is a dream! BUT a lower statewide limit could produce much better results on a lot of lakes around this state. It has been stated here many times already that the pressure will just move to the next hot lake.... so maybe a long term solution is to create better opportunities all over the state to avoid this massive pressure flip flop. 3 or 4 fish statewide.....lets see what it can do! It won't solve all problems but would sure help!

I do think other waters will relive some pressure in the near future. I fished leech 2 times this year for the first time ever and had the best fishing we ever had the 1st outing and good enough fishing the second time to bring us back to it next year.....the tight slots and tension on red will disperse some of the pressure. I will also fish red some every winter also because it is just a great time and provides more window of opportunity for my kids then the typical shorter bite period on other waters!

I do think this problem could be resolved using the Lottery system for three or four years. The state uses similar systems to grant rights for hunting and fishing. Moose, Elk, Lac Qui Parle (Goose), Ripley (White Tails) stamps for Trout and Pheasants. Moneys generated through these programs can be used for off setting any loses to resorts and guide services to lesson the economic impact.

This will still give everyone a chance to fish the lake, just not every year. $10 app fee maybe, just an ezample.

As far as LOW not getting as much pressure it is because URL is on the way. Less travel time and still quality fishing. That is just common sense. I have caught lots of Walleyez over the past few years but have only fished URL twice. I did very well both times. I didn't think it was going to last. Wheel houses don't catch fish.

The Media does more harm than good in this case. One of my lakes that I fish on was featured in Midwest outdoors and was fished out of 12" - 14" inch Crappies in one winter season. The bait store owner said business was great for that winter but paid the price for the next ten years and would not wish that again. It is coming back but slowly even after everyone quit fishing it. This is why I really don't post.

I wish everyone to have a great experience and enjoy the outdoors. I raised my boyz hunting, fishing and camping. but to destroy are nature resources is a waste. To many people think it is alright for them but not for me to push it over the limit. Morey"s fish market is cheaper than any trip to URL or LOW. Wifes opinion, and she is right. By the way that is my go to lake.

I dont care what you think of my opinion. it is not to be accurate, just give some direction that has not been explored thoroughly. If you read enough of the posts on this subject ( including " Too Much Pressure " you will see that a lot of these topics could be resolved at least partially. We are all going to have to make some sacrifices on this one. but we will still might be able to salvage some quality of life for all.

I don't envy the people that need to solve this problem! The reality is there is no easy answer.

Red lake is so unique. There are resorts and plowed roads everywhere, relatively structureless, multi species opportunity, walleye bite 24 hours a day, its a hour and a half closer than lake of the woods, wheel house city central, etc, etc!!

I don't think smaller limits will do it. I think its going to take shorter seasons on this body of water.

We’re in uncharted territory,” Barnard said. He said the walleye population

remains strong, and the DNR will meet with band members to discuss the situation

before regulations are set for spring. It might be possible to allow the higher

walleye harvest, Barnard said.

There's plenty of fish left in the lake. We have just over harvested our projected allotment. I belesve they had to weed out some of those 17 to 20 inch fish to keep everything in balance. Seems there's plenty of smaller walleye but maybe that has something to do where I'm fishing? I would be more then happy if they have to leave it at two to slow down the harvest.

Cookie, definitley have no problem with the solution you alluded to and we will still come. I still question, and this is not aimed at you, as to how long can we tsrget fish up to 17" before that size class see's some drastice reductions in numbers.

this system has been tried on Mille Lacs and now the keepable fish are only a two inch gap. I've always been a firm believer that if you eliminate all the kids, you will never have adults. perhaps that size population can withstand several years of pressure while a comeback is managed. Just anothe rthought.....

Extensive road systems, nice wheelhouses accommodating 6 to 8 anglers, nice rental sleepers and day houses, sophisticated electronics, good rods, improved portables, 4X4 trucks, reliable snowmobiles, etc., all combine to increase angler hours and fishing pressure. It's become very easy and comfortable to fish the ice season. Add in a lake where walleyes are plentiful and easy to catch and here we are. My guess is the 2 fish limit will continue into summer and forward for a awhile. The DNR needs to figure out whats wrong with Mille Lacs to spread the pressure.

I'm in agreement for lowering daily limits statewide myself, but for lakes like Red or L.O.W. where folks travel distances to fish, IMO 90% of the people fishing these lakes will take more than their limits on a daily basis whether the limit is 2,3,4,or 5.It has become the nature of the beast for ice fishing the past few years. Taz

I don't think I would say 90% of people fishing will take over their limit, however certainly quite a bit do. We were up last weekend and the rental house owner we went though said he had a group out the week before, and his son went to fish in the house they were in after they left and put an underwater camera down and the water under the ice was littered with walleye carcasses including many slot fish and way more than the limit.

that outfitter should have taken the responsibility to document who has been renting the house since it was last moved. Generally it would be only one group if they were there several days. The list of names then should be turned over to the DNR and the other outfitters to "black list" them from the lake. Don't believe the DNR can do much, but getting somebody to rent you a house again might hurt them some.

I don't think I would say 90% of people fishing will take over their limit, however certainly quite a bit do. We were up last weekend and the rental house owner we went though said he had a group out the week before, and his son went to fish in the house they were in after they left and put an underwater camera down and the water under the ice was littered with walleye carcasses including many slot fish and way more than the limit.

Ok, were they really carcasses (cleaned fish), or fish that died after they were released? I've fished LOTW and many of the small fish are released, even if their bladder is blown. Most manage to swim under the ice, but who knows how many make it? I've heard from the guides that they don't make it and float back up under the ice. They even recommend fishing right under the ice because large pike are cruising around eating them.

back i January we had one of our guys bangin his Buckshot into the dirt, felt something differenet and pulled up the jig to which had hooked a fairly large piece of fish intetstine. he did it several times, do ya think there might have been a gut pile down there. it certainly wasn't a fish released that died of mortality and just happen to decompose that quickly. i mhave the picture of what he retrieved on the phone.....Honesty applies only to those who don't break the law.

I think everyone has good ideas who have posted. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat. In the end, when your dealing with the shear numbers of people on the lake, I would also have to agree, limits shaving will only help so much. Over limits, cooking fish on the lake and some hooking mortality plays a bigger role than we probably think. I still think a shorter season on lake is the best answer, but probably not going to happen.

Sounds like an enforcement problem. Maybe they need to show up with a bunch of COs or deputies with underwater cameras.

One weekend would prove or disprove the issue of over limit being a big problem.

I don't think that 90% or even 10% of the people who fish any lake are poachers. Everyone I know is a very ethical sportsman /woman. The people I don't even know who I meet on the lake or at resorts are also ethical and stick to the limits. I think the best point that has been made is the comment about it is only the annual allotment that has been exceeded. I think that if the annual take is adjusted by trimming the limits brings it back into line then the limits could be adjusted upward again.

One thing that could be done with ease would be to prohibit fishing on the Tamarack River or within 500 feet of the entry to the lake till like June 1 or 15 whatever would be appropriate. That way the spawning females would enter and exit unmolested. A couple of buoys could mark the distance.

I would love to see the State implement a 15" minimum statewide for walleyes. It would help protect the younger year classes and help cut down on the number of fish being kept when lakes get really hot. How many times do you hear of people nailing the walleyes at X lake and then you find out most of them are 13-14 inchers?? Guaranty a lot of people at Red are keeping a some 13-14 inchers so they can brag about getting their limit... (when the limit was higher)

That would be very unwise! Have you ever taken a trip to Wisconsin to fish for Walleye's? Of course not. That is their statewide size restriction. Teaches the fishing population to kill everything above 15". The smaller fish take much less time to replace. If you damage the breeding age fish in a population you damage the whole fishery. you can replace a whole year class of fish in a year or two in the smaller size. Plus the biomass of the small fish is much larger than the rest of the population ages. Watch Winnibigoshish over th next number of years. I believe they have hit the right size structure of the fish population to protect to maintain a good harvesting level. Allowing more fish over 23" to be kept will take some of the pressure off of the 15-16"'ers and spread the harvest out over larger profile. The 18"-23" fish population produces 75% of the annual spawn.

That would be very unwise! Have you ever taken a trip to Wisconsin to fish for Walleye's? Of course not. That is their statewide size restriction. Teaches the fishing population to kill everything above 15". The smaller fish take much less time to replace. If you damage the breeding age fish in a population you damage the whole fishery. you can replace a whole year class of fish in a year or two in the smaller size. Plus the biomass of the small fish is much larger than the rest of the population ages. Watch Winnibigoshish over th next number of years. I believe they have hit the right size structure of the fish population to protect to maintain a good harvesting level. Allowing more fish over 23" to be kept will take some of the pressure off of the 15-16"'ers and spread the harvest out over larger profile. The 18"-23" fish population produces 75% of the annual spawn.

I think a state wide minimum of 14" or 15" could work and if needed certain lakes could have slots too. I have been to LOW and hear about people catching all of these fish. When i see what they have they are all 13-14" fish. I have even had guides tell me to keep 12" fish because nothing was biting. Personally when fishing i try to follow a 15" minimum for keeping fish even when i go to URL and there is a slot there.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

See that's the difference. I saw this on Big Stone and Mille Lacs when a minimum slot was imposed. It greatly changed how people kept fish. If my minimum is 16" and yours is 15" and Elmer's is 14" and John's is 13" it spreads out which year classes are taken from the system. In talking with the COs on these waters once a fish hit the minimum it went into the live well for 90+ percent of anglers. After several years there were lots of little fish and a few big fish with not much in between as the year classes meeting the slot minimum were kept.

So count me as not a fan of many of our lakes potentially taking on this profile.