• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

10" auger bit on 8" power head. Engineering/physics/past experience anyone?

Sir-Idlebobbers

I recently lost an auger shaft from my buddies auger down the ice hole on account of two drops of missing loctite and a loose allen bolt. Well I found a barely used 10" bit for the price of a new 8" bit. Fits perfectly. Cuts a bit slower but if you don't try to force it it doesn't have much a problem with power. Anyone else ever switch one? Did it severely shorten the life span? The engine in question is a 33cc. I researched it and they have different models. None of the larger gas models have the same clutch and transmission regardless of auger diameter but their propane model of larger displacement in a 10" uses the same drive train as the 33cc in an 8". Any insight is appreciated.

The costs and time of retrieving the bit just wouldn't have panned out. The lake is too far away from home and I don't own any of the tools that would be required for such a task. Cheaper and less time consuming to simply replace it.

I would say it's your buddies choice, in my book you owe him whatever he wants. Not everybody likes 10 inch augers, they are a pain to carry around, slow if he's a hole hopper, and dangerous if he has little kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an 8", 9", and a 10". The 10" sits in the shed most of the winter. I only use it when we have more than four guys going out. Same thoughts as Hawg, heavy, slow and more work through thick ice, and a tripping/stepping hazard for all.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I figured I'd give you guys an update, so my buddy and I used his auger twice after I replaced the bit last winter. I agree with all of you it was my duty to replace it to it's original condition. However here's how it panned out:

First off I'l preface this with the fact that the time I lost the bit was the only time I ever used the auger without being with the friend who owned it. Additionally, neither of us learned to check the bit bolt regularly until we had this experience. Anyway, the auger started leaking gas/oil at some point after the bit was changed and he states that the auger wouldn't stay running the last time he and his gf used it.  My buddy asked around to a few shops, one of which his sister in law works as a mechanic at. They all told him that Quantum augers are of poor quality and he could expect to have it fixed and continue to have problems as there is a diaphragm inside the carb that goes out again and again. Well he took this advice as gospel and bought a new 8" strikemaster in the off season. I then took possession of the Q33 again and took it all apart. All of the parts seeming were intact (including the diaphragm) except for the fuel tank cap and tank hose grommet which were both leaking.

Short story long, the auger now works just great and it cost me a fuel line kit and a tank cap from Quantum for under 20 bucks. Needless to say my buddy wasn't too happy when I told him what it cost me to fix. Well in the end i paid him 75 bucks for the auger he had basically written off as junk. So between the $150 i paid for the bit, the $20 for the parts to fix the leaks and the cash i gave him, I came out with a 10" auger with a good season and a half on it for $245 plus a few hours of my time. 

Do you think this was a fair deal seeing now how it panned out?

Does anyone have experience with Quantum products good or bad?

I appreciate all of your feedback, however, as I mentioned I was really hoping for technical advice on how a 33cc auger might do with a 10" bit. In doing my own research though I'm pretty confident as long as I adjust the manner in which i use it it should do just fine. I'll keep you updated as my case study moves forward.

Good luck and be safe out there, this year has been tough.

I don't know anything about quantum augers, but I'd say if you and your buddy are both happy with the outcome, then it was a pretty good deal.  Always a sticky situation borrowing someone else's gear.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 9:47 PM, Sir-Idlebobbers said:

I recently lost an auger shaft from my buddies auger down the ice hole on account of two drops of missing loctite and a loose allen bolt. Well I found a barely used 10" bit for the price of a new 8" bit. Fits perfectly. Cuts a bit slower but if you don't try to force it it doesn't have much a problem with power. Anyone else ever switch one? Did it severely shorten the life span? The engine in question is a 33cc. I researched it and they have different models. None of the larger gas models have the same clutch and transmission regardless of auger diameter but their propane model of larger displacement in a 10" uses the same drive train as the 33cc in an 8". Any insight is appreciated.

Just check to see if they offer that same model in a 8" & 10" from the Mfg and your good to go. My Strikemaster came with a 10" and I put an 8" back on it. That would tell me that both can run on it.

Fire your mechanic.  I can guarantee you Eskimo (i.e. quantum) augers are no worse than anything Strikemaster or Jiffy is putting out there on the market...  at least in the 2 stroke market.  Tecumseh is long gone, all the engines are Chinese now.

Run it, The torque difference is more with a 10" but you could stall any size bit. Keep blades sharp,don't force it and it will be just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:15 AM, jigginjim said:

Run it, The torque difference is more with a 10" but you could stall any size bit. Keep blades sharp,don't force it and it will be just fine.

jigg is correct just take it a little more easy on it to save the clutch and motor and you should have no issue.