• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite way to haul laker rods on snowmobile?

Headed up to Crow Lake Ontario in a few weeks for lakers.

Weather permitting, we will be running and gunning on our snowmobiles.

Some of the guys in our group put their rods in a 5 gal bucket and pack it w/ a couple of towels to keep snow out and secure it to the back of the sled.

Some of the guys put their rods in a backpack and wear the backpack.

Let's hear some suggestions.

Thanks,

Brian

PVC tubes with a slot cut in them and attached to the rack with hose clamps. I use a tiny bungie over the reel stem to hold keep the rod in the holder. Really simple and Ive seen people attach them to the hood of the snowmobile if there isn't anywhere else that works.

You can see the rod holder in this picture.

P1010130_zpsuxvrqdwe.jpg

Backpacks work. That is what I have used the last couple season. I got three rod tube rod holder to try out this year. I also got a couple reel covers to keep them from getting covered with snow.

I am also thinking about making a trip to crow in late March.

Don't the reels get gunked up with snow and or slush?

Nice pic. Can't wait to head north!!

Brian

I haven't had a problem with snow/slush on the reels. As Mike mentioned, you could put some covers on them if you're worried about it.

I used to wear a backpack as well... vexilar and 2 rods in the back pack worked just fine.

Think I got it figured out.

Decided to go the back pack route. I have an old Coleman meat hauling style back pack used to haul out big game.

I put a 3.5 gal waste paper basket inside the bag of the pack and can fit 2 bait caster set ups and 3 spinning reel set ups in there. I folded the spinning reel handles down. Pretty slick!!

Think I'll strap a cooler on the back rack of the sled and put my tackle, vexilar, lunch, and other goodies in that.

Gonna tie up some of my own bucktail and marabou jigs and I should be set.

All there is to do now is wait and try to catch a few of the lakers we have around here in the Grand Rapids area.

Brian

we use saddle bags on our sleds, put the reels inside and zip it shut up to the rods sticking up and out. I usually put a twist tie on the zippers to keep the zipper up tight. never had a problem with snow or slush.

Mike,

We stay at Halvorson's, right off of Hwy 71.

Nice people and rates.

I've heard in March guys fish lakers 100' on the mud flats.

Haven't been able to find a decent countour map of the lake, have you?

I'll inbox you w/ a report if you want.

Brian

I have heard that there is not much for mapping. I would love report when you get back. Thanks.

http://shop.milwaukeemap.com/p/3714/kaka...western-ontario

Have you seen this map? It's the only one I've ever found for Crow and isn't very detailed but still a lot better than nothing...

I think I picked one up at Angler's Pro Shop in Nestor Falls... either there or the tackle shop on the south end of town.

Thanks. I hadn't seen this map.

I can't get the link to work. Might be on my end tho.

The link works for me so not sure what to say there. It sounds like you were able to find the HSOforum anyway so that's all that matters.

Like I said the map isn't great but it at least gives you an idea what areas have deep water access and also shows some offshore structure.

One thing I like to do with some of the shallower reefs on the map is look them up on Google Earth. If they are shallow enough they will show up on the aerial image and you can pull coordinates from there. That can save A LOT of time and work searching for offshore structure. In the past I've burned a lot of auger gas searching for reefs listed on that map, but by pulling coordinates before hand you will at least know where the top of the structure is and have a starting point.

Otter rod box and you wont break any rods.

You should get otter to make a longer rod case. With more and more people using long rods I think they would sell quite a few cases that would hold 42-45in rods.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Good tip about looking at google earth.

If I'm just on the sled I use a back pack strapped to the back rest.

The tackle that would be in my rod bag goes into the back pack and my cut bait. Otherwise if I'm towing the Otter I'll use a rod bag with butts sticking out because its too short.

My wifes got relatives that live on crow lake. I like to haul my laker rods under the seat on my snowmobile or in my rear cargo box. Good luck fishing.full-24990-52503-img_0139.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mike I have found that unless Im fishing lake superior in very deep waters that I can use rods that fit in the Otter box just fine. Burntside and most inland laker lakes dont require big long rods.