• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear paw reports?

crappie getter

Rented a sleeper last night and destroyed the walleyes. Those guys defiantly know where the fish hangout.

Four of us rented two, 2-man day houses from BearPaw today (12-28) and we were more than satisfied with the fishing. We caught limits for 4 guys, with the average keeper being 15-16 inches. The biggest walleye was 24.5, and we also caught a few 18-21 inchers. 1/4 oz. white glow jigs and glow red macho minnows tipped with a minnow head were equally effective. Dead sticks were good, too. If we saw a fish on the Vex, it would usually hit one of the lines.

We have rented houses from Steve and Tyler in the past and these two guys are great at what they do.

6 of us rented 2 sleepers a couple of weeks back. We hammered the fish the first 2 days. A cold front moved through the last day we were there shutting the bite off. Between the 6 of us we caught between 80-100 walleye with about a dozen fat perch mixed in. Plain orange glow hooks out-produced everthing else.

Steve was always willing to help us out when we needed it. He made a bait run for us one day and an ice run(for the jack/cokes)the next day. Never ran out of heat the 3 days we were there. Houses were cozy! I would definitely give my business to these guys again!

Heading up tomorrow, supposed to check in at noon with Bearpaw. How are the roads going to be looking tomorrow? Obviously no one has a crystal ball but I'm seeing mixed weather reports. Hoping they will still be able to get us on fish with the cold front coming in. We were there last January with Bearpaw on that -30 weekend and still managed 50 fish.

• 1 month later...

We will be there the week of February 16 and we can't wait!!! Steve and Tyler are great guides as well as all of the other guides and outfitters up there. Keep your lines wet. <>{

127 hours and we are on our way! !! Steve and Tyler always keep you on the fish. As I said before, we will be in the big shack so stop by and share some good stories and have a cold beer. First one is on me <>€

We will be heading up in about 30 hours and will be there until Thursday. I love seeing the pictures and stories of people catching crappie. Hopefully this gives the walleye a break. <><

Sorry I didn't reply cookie. We were in there 10x22 and had a great time. Hats off to Steve and Tyler they are the best and the two others with me this year loved it and will be with me again next year. I am on my way back home now but will try to post all the details later.

Well I am rested up and here is a summary of our adventure. We were on the ice about 3pm on 2/16 and had our first fish after about 30 mins. It was never fast and furious but enough to keep us busy. My friend even pulled up a 17.5" that weighed well over 2lbs. It was a very thick Walter that we got some pics of and released. He did give a good little tail splash as a thank you. The next morning started with a couple of perch followed by a great breakfast. The rest of the day was slow but steady. At about 2pm I had a rattle down with a very large shinner and was jigginTheg with a medium rainbow when we marked something. large. I watched my bobber I was jigging with rocket down the hole and just aas I was setting the hook and felt the weight, snap and he was gone. About 30 seconds later my rattle went down so fast it sounded like a phone ringing and as soon as I felt the weight, snap and he was gone with another minnow. As quickly as I got my rod reset and down I had my rod bending almost to the breaking point and brought up a 25" pike with the most beautiful markings I have seen on a pike.we gave him some good photo ops and down the hole he went. His mouth was empty so I don't think he was the one who bit me off twice I think it was his big brother. We caught over 20 eyes that day averaging 13-16" throughout the day releasing all of them back to fight another day. The third member of our party showed up about 6pm but sadly nothing came through the ice until about 3am on a rattle. We did have a great meal of seasoned pheasant breasts.

Wednesday morning started the same with a perch attack then slow but steady all day but mr #3 still had not pulled anything up and at about 2pm ish the big brother pike came through and pulled a repeat on just me again. This was good for a great laugh!!! Then about 5ish mr#3 caught 5 in a row in less than one hour. Two of them that were about 13-14" but fat as heck were hooked badly so they were kept and the other two guys had a great walleye dinner that night. I ate chips and cheese since I don't eat fish but we did keep a couple since we were leaving the next day. The rattles went off a couple more times over night.

The next morning started the with us putting a total of 5 perch on the ice and a few more eyes. Each of us took 2 fat eyes home. The two I kept along with the 5 perch are for my father-in-law who had surgery about 2 weeks ago and was not able to go this year. They should cheer him up. All in all we had a great time and pardon the pun but Steve and Tyler have us hooked and we will be back next year <><

• 11 months later...

Well it is that time of year again and me and my crew will be up there in 19 days. I cannot believe how fast this year went by. Does anybody have any reports or advice on what is working or not working? The reports I have been reading seem to be all over the place but I guess that's why they call it fishing. <><

• 3 weeks later...

Well we are on the final 24 hours until we get up there. Can anyone tell me what the best working bait is and what is available in the Waskish area? Should I try to grab something down here before we head up?

Rev

We are on the way back now. Our group of 10 fished in two houses. Best bait was a glass eye jig or plain hook with a crappie minnow. Between the 10 of us we caught 3 walleyes Friday-Sunday and a few perch. Word from the cleaning shack is everyone did about the same. Super slow. Bring extra beer. weather conditions are set to improve so hopefully you do better than we did.

2 hours ago, Reverend said:

Thank you for the update. Did they have some good crappie minnows at the shops in waskish? 

YES they do. At food and fuel,Hillmans and Beacon Harbor and

Rodgers on the south side

Edited by rainbow dave
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Bturck. I was hoping I did not have to keep minnows alive all the way up there and I prefer to keep my business local up there. If you are out and about please stop by.

Rev

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I took so long to reply. All I can say again is Steve and Tyler are the best. If I had to describe our stay which was from 2/15 - 2/18 it would be "the fishing was great, the catching sucked" but in no way is that a reflection on Bear Paw. They were constantly checking on us when we were in about 13 fow and then they had us move to a new house in 7 fow. we were marking fish and had a camera down and could see the fish but they just would not bit. We ended up with some fish, about 5 eye's and two pout. I know it sounds lame but they do call it fishing. By far the worst trip we had but the guys I brought have been there with me before and know this was not normal. We will be back again next year and we will be using bear Paw again.
Rev

• Thumbs Up 1