• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ok i have a question. Me and a buddy were out on lee lake by hawley yesterday and the whole lake is red. you drill a whole and red stuff comes up and the water has a real bad smell. Has anyone ever seen this was first time i have ever seen it

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I would give the area DNR a call and ask them or let them know in case some kind of Ag spill happened?

no response yet? My buddy was out there a few weeks ago and did drill any holes when he seen that lol. But he also said its the first time he has ever seen ice like that

I got an email from the dnr they say they have seen this before and it is an algae bloom that makes the lake red and there are three different ones that can do it. Now i just have to get some pics to them

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this when I was out there too. A few of the holes I drilled and awful smell came and punched me in the nose...shortly after a brown/grey foam filled my hole. It was pretty gross...what is even more gross is that I never catch fish out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a different lake in the area this weekend that had green ice due to algae. Every single hole had the algae in the top inch of the ice, but otherwise the lake was very clear... could see a tiny jig 12 ft down.