• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Since nobody else posts in this forum anymore...

Fished Moose Lake north of Grand Rapids over the weekend. I found 12 inches of ice where I was and judging by the cracks it looked very consistent. I did not see any trucks on the lake, but there are wheel houses on all the usual spots. Some evidence of ATV travel. There is a decent heave about a foot high at the DNR access. As of now there is a way to get around it right off the landing. There is little to no snow on the lake. I caught a couple fish; typical for that lake. Nothing to write home about though.

Now lets hear from some other folks fishing in the Grand Rapids area. This forum is way too quiet.

Cheers!

Great, thanks for the report duckhunter. I agree, we need to get some action going on this local forum for ice conditions, reports, etc.

Sooo, here's my latest report:

Closer to Rapids a small group of us took down 4 - 15 inchers as well as a few 10 inchers (that we recycled) during the night bite. Probably could have did better. We didn't work too hard at it and got started a little late as it was just a little Saturday night leisure cool . Didn't measure the ice, but what was there was good.

Like Duckhunter said, let's resurrect this forum!

Wow ... the forum is alive after all!

Been on Pokegama with little success (1 walleye) and on Splithand with a bit more success (2 walleyes, a few perch and pike!). Easy travel on both lakes ... about a foot of good, clear ice. Pokegama is almost always good this time of year, so I'll be back there soon.

thanks for reviving the forum ...

Fished Poke Fir and Sat eve. 28 and 43 FOW in the usual good places Not even a nibble either night. Most action was in the beer cooler where the bottle bass were dying slowly.

Hit Poke last night for the first time this year. Set up in 18 fow on a steep break down to 60 fow. Missed two fish at sundown on the jigging rod. Nothing on the deadstick.

1st trip of the year for me today, been down and out with a chest/sinus cold the last 3 weeks.

A buddy and I tip up fished on a river back water today from 10-2.

We iced a dozen gators, the 2 biggest being twin 30" ers.

The water level dropped about 2-3 feet since Sunday, so the shore line ice had caved in but the ice we were on was good and about 8-10".

Gonna try Deer lake tomorrow evening for walleyes.

Brian

I don't know much but I will offer what I do know. 30 Miles north of Grand Rapids, crappies weren't biting, only a few pike. 10 miles SE of Aitkin, crappies biting non-stop.

From talking with a couple friends that live up there the walleye bite has been slow for them On Poke when normally they do fairly well early on.Think Im gonna make the trek up this weekend and show them a thing or two.

My cousins cabin is on SWAN Lake and we catch walleye's during the summer, but never hear anything about it in the winter. IS there some reason why? Would like to check it out someday, Has anybody caught anything on SWAN? Lake has a 65ft basin in middle but lots of drop offs and ledges. Let me know if anyone checks it out in the near future. THANKS!

Hit poke last night for last hour of sunlight. Set up in 18 fow. Caught one fat 25 on a fathead under a bobber right at dark. Other than that a couple of sniffers on the jigging rod.

I fish Swan both summer and winter for pike and walleye. Early ice I spend most of my time spearing for Pike in the two bays closest to the main access. There are some big pike in that lake. I have caught the most of my winter Walleyes just to the NE of the landing anywhere from 14-24 fow.

Two small ones on pokey this evening, from 430-530. One large pike after dark ... thought it was a decent walleye till it swam past the hole. Dang!

I hiked in for sunnies and crappies on 3 small lakes in the Chippewa before the warm-up last weekend. Crappies were surprisingly active/biting. Nothing huge - biggest 12.5".

Sunnies were a different story. Hard to find. Not in the mid/late season areas at all. I found some in the deepest holes on one lake and in 5' of water on others. Very spread out. Nothing over 9".

Ice then was a consistent 12" - probably getting back to that now.

Was on Wabana the other day ... 3-6 pm. Didn't have a single sniff till around 5:30 ... worked it and worked it and finally caught it. Rock Bass. Dang. Did fairly well there the previous two trips out, but not so good this trip. Talked to another guy who was packing up when I was and he said he didn't have a bite all afternoon. Oh well ...

• 1 month later...

This forum seems to be pretty light again on fresh reports so here is mine. I have had my house on 3 spots on Moose since it has been out and walleyes have not been showing up. Took off in search of panfish. Tried Grave Lake over the weekend. Tough bite there also. Got a few bluegills near sundown on Saturday. Went back Sunday and it was even tougher. Is anybody finding crappies?

Cheers!

I looked on Saturday and couldn't find crappies. Did find jumbo perch and bluegills though. Not a ton, and not a fast and furious bite.