• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

little mcdonald venting water

• 2 weeks later...

WAKE UP OTTERTAIL AND RUSH LAKE PROPERTY OWNERS!!!!!!!

Guess what? This drainage plan is going to happen and you can't stop it. Get used to the idea of Rush lake and Ottertail having Zebra Mussels. Get ready for lower fish numbers, having to wear rubber shoes on the beach when you want to go swimming, retying the last five feet of your fishing line every few hours, and having your irrigation pump plug up every few months. You can kiss your walleyes goodbye; Ottertail will be a trophy Smallmouth bass lake. I own property on Rush Lake and am extremely disappointed to see this go through. You think I'm being radical? Everyone in Wright County said "They will never drain Pelican Lake, too many people use it for fishing." Guess what? Pelican Lake is being drained right now. This plan is in the final stages of no turning back. WAKE UP!!!!

I would get involved NOW. For you people on Rush the guy that is pushing this in the legislature has a place on Rush- Bud Nornes. I would give him a call ASAP and let him know your feelings. He is the author of a bill asking for 10 million to pay for this. SO not will you oly get zebra mussles your tax dollars are going to pay for it.

There are two similar bills that came out last month, one in the Senate (S.F. #485) and one in the House (H.F. #563). Both allocate $10 million of taxpayer money to fund this project.

The DNR sent the proposed filter system to experts at the U of M for an expert opinion. The DNR just received the U of M's opinion back and is reviewing it before making an official stance. However, I'm guessing their opinion will not consider the following:

1. What are the impacts of a 100 year rain event? Will this create overland flooding and bypass the filter?

2. What are the impacts of human error when changing out the filters (cross contamination, etc.)

3. Water has a tendency to undermine storm sewer systems, creating its own aquifer parallel to the existing pipe. What is to prevent this?

My point is that I am not comfortable with this filter system even if the DNR gives it their blessing.

Why can't they manage this similar to a construction project? Look at the floodplain and strategically place detention ponds around the lake (cut off the supply). They could also trench drain lines to several of the nearby center pivot irrigation systems and have the farmers use the water to irrigate their crops. Looking at Google Maps, there are around a dozen center pivot irrigation systems within close proximity. There has got to be a better solution that doesn't involve putting other lakes at risk.

On second thought: condoms are pretty effective at fighting aids. I'm sure this will work out just fine...

CCGINMN- any idea why this proposal is moving forward- it appears to be the most expensive by far. Also any idea on what the UofM is going to say to the DNR? you seem plugged in.

thanks

CCGINMN- any idea why this proposal is moving forward- it appears to be the most expensive by far. Also any idea on what the UofM is going to say to the DNR? you seem plugged in.

thanks

The email I got back from the DNR (Gary Montz) said this is beyond his area of expertise so they sent it over to an expert engineer at the U of M. It goes on to say: "However, we contacted an expert in engineering over at the University of Minnesota to review the proposed filter system and are looking over and assessing his response that we have recently received. "

I'm guessing they will be making their final decision sometime in the next month. They will need to consult their attorney (my words not theirs) to figure out if they have any liability with Rush and Ottertail being infected.

If this passes, there is really no reason to have people checking boats for zebs at any of the lakes downstream of Little Pine. I have a cabin on Rush so I am watching this very carefully.

Its moving forward because a lot of people had their cabins flooded out on Little McDonald. When you get an organized, well-funded group of people brought together by tragedy, the sky is the limit. I feel bad for them but the damage is already done. The pictures of their cabins are very sad. If they could add photos of puppies drowning, this would be a slam dunk. However, I believe the potential to negatively affect many downstream lakes with zebs outweighs the net gain on this one.

But why this proposal. It's the most expensive. Other outlets were a lot less expensive

Also many on little and big pine have no clue this is happening

I have no idea why this proposal beat out the other two. The Little McDonald/Paul Lake Association is having an informational meeting on March 21st to discuss the plan. I wish I could attend but my kindergartner just qualified for Regions in wrestling which happen to fall on the 21st.

If you are interested in attending the meeting, please contact Roger Neitcke, [email protected] He is a representative from the Little McDonald/Paul Lake Association and will provide you with further details.

also how many people on rush and ottertail are aware of this do you think

for whatever reason very few people I know have a clue about this.

The meeting will be at 9:30 am on Sat., March 21st at the Perham Area Community Center. Please attend if you have any concerns with this plan.

link to audio and presentation from the MN legislature on this topic. My impression is this will get approved which means 16 million gallons per day or more when you add devils lake to this of water from zebra mussel invested lakes will be heading into the ottertail river- directly impacted lakes are Little Pine, Big Pine, Rush and Ottertail. If you are concerned get involved before it is to late.

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/cmte/minutes/minutes.aspx?comm=89004&id=5935&ls_year=89

The DNR just informed me that they are now taking public comments. Anyone interested in providing feeback should email the RGU (Responsible Government Unit) who is:

Gill Kalar

[email protected]

Please pass this information on to anyone who is concerned about this project!!

How can this even happen? The way it is with all the regulations of transporting boats and water and all the nonsense and rules coming out to not spread invasive species? If this venting (pumping) of water is going to spread these invasives who is going to be held accountable? If I can get fined or sued for transporting water, a boat, a lift, a dock etc, is that mean we can sue and fine the ones that are making or letting this happen? This just doesn't even sound possible that it would be legal!!

please tell your neighbors and spread the word. Make sure you attend the meeting on the 21rst.

There will be a DNR approved filter to remove larval Zeeps. (see snail lake, ramsey county water augmentation plan).

Why are you so hot to let your "neighbor's" houses be flooded?

(zeebs are going to get there anyway eventually)

differences in the snail lake a lake was low and asked for the water- not the case here. Totally difference in scale as well- they move significant less water. They are also not pumping into a river system that has all sorts of ramifications.

we are willing to help- just not this option. Heck you want us to pay for it- thats helping right?

really- your attitude is you will get zeebs anyways- not even sure how to respond to that comment.

There will be a DNR approved filter to remove larval Zeeps. (see snail lake, ramsey county water augmentation plan).

Why are you so hot to let your "neighbor's" houses be flooded?

(zeebs are going to get there anyway eventually)

Oh, so if we don't shell out $10 million it's our fault. Your assertion that we let or wanted it to happen is ridiculous.

Guess what? All of the flooding is done. The lake is now receding; there is zero snowpack to contribute to spring run-off. This problem will likely fix itself within ten years. We, the taxpayer are about to shell out $10 million dollars to fix this problem. We should be allowed to debate it.

Also, I too am not sure how to respond to your logic "(zeebs are going to get there anyways eventually)." Using that logic, we shouldn't be putting in the effort to clean our boats, empty live-wells, etc. when we hop lake to lake.

Pretty strange comment. Can't wait to see the response

And hopefully a response to many of the houses that are flooded were once part of the lake many years ago

Things go in cycles

does it seem fair that Little McDonald can keep pumping their water until they are at their OWH but don't have to stop when they lakes below are at their OWH? That makes no sense. I sure hope someone corrects me on this.- just doesn't seem right.

I am not a lake property owner yet. I feel for the property owners that are being flooded out. I just feel that a 10 million dollar pumps system is not the answer. Especially if it means the risk of spreading zebras. I don't have the answers but it really needs to be looked at a little closer. My 2c

i think many of us feel the same as you. PLease if you can make it to the Perham community center this Saturday at 9:30- please attend and share your opinions

• 3 weeks later...

with the lack of snow/rain how are the water levels on Little Mac , Kerbs or Paul. Even with the ice not out I assume there must be an indication on levels. please share if you have an idea on this.

remember to comment on the EAW report that can be found on the ottertail county website. you have until April 15th to comment on this- reply to Bill Kalar at Otter tail county.

this was added to the Governors bonding bill that was released today.

If you oppose you better call your legislature reps NOW.

The Governor recommends $10 million for a grant to Otter Tail County to make publicly-owned capital

improvements to address flooding and high-water conditions on Big and Little McDonald Lakes, and Paul Lake.

The total cost of the project is $11 million.

I heard Little Mac water level is now down quite a bit from how they presented the data to the legislature and also the EAW- Does anyone have a current reading. I will be up next weekend and will be checking it out myself.

had someone email me and say Little Mac is WAY down after ice out. From the Little Mac LID website I know they watch this site so would be nice if someone there would post the actual drop in water. If they don't it seems like it confirms what I have heard.

I will also try to post pictures from the same spot that the Little Mac LID used in their presentation for tax payers funding this project along with the current ones on their website. that will show any changes

DNR response to the EAW is out. The DNR has many questions and say the EAW is incomplete. Tthe U of M study on the filtration system for the Zebra Mussels in these lakes was included. Basically the professor concludes from doing math/theory that it should work. He also says this needs to be tested. Big concern is making sure it is installed properly.

drove by little mac this week. looks like water is way down. the properties they showed in their presentation to the Mn Legislature look SIGNIFICANTLY different now. My guess is the lake level is down over a foot. I know little mac residents have been told not to comment on this site. Kinda weird that they haven't updated their water levels on their website. I'm guess they don't want to let people know that nature does go in cycles and maybe this issue will resolve itself?

Maybe a resident will post the water level- my guess is they won't since they want OUR 10 Million dollar handout. S