• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Transferring a Rifle to an out of state FFL?

I am looking at transferring a rifle to a party in Texas. They have a FFL to send the rifle to. I am wondering if I need to go through a FFL in Minnesota or if I can just ship it to the FFL in Texas and let them do the transaction. Also does the FFL hold the money for the transaction or should that be through something like Paypal?

There are no regulations from the ATF that prohibit you from shipping a firearm to an out of state FFL. Some of the FFL's do like to complicate things and require shipment from another FFL. You would need to contact them and find out what they want.

DO NOT USE PAYPAL TO GET PAID FOR A FIREARM. It is a violation of their terms of use policy and they can really foul up the transaction. They will also terminate your account and that of the other party. Use a postal money order.

If this a Gunbroker auction you should have the buyer send you the payment as a postal money order and have them have their FFL send you a copy of their license. The license can be verified online at the ATF's site and you should do so. Then ship by UPS or Fedex to the address on the license. Just for clarity let me repeat- SHIP THE FIREARM ONLY TO THE ADRESS ON THE VERIFED LICENSE. Ship the firearm only after the funds have cleared. Do not try to mail the firearm from the post office.

It is up to the buyer to pay the receiving FFL's fee if any. The buyer should pay you direct for the firearm and the shipping costs.

Thank you mechanictim, Is this the standard procedure for a gunbroker auction or would I be better setting up a gunbroker account and do the sale through them. I haven't used gunbroker. This is an armslist deal.

You don't have to go through anybody to sell your rifle. You just need to ship it to a verified FFL. It has to ship to the address on the license only. If the buyer asks you to send it to any address other than the one printed on the license you might be being scammed.

You also need to make sure you get paid before shipping the rifle. They should send you a postal money order if you ask for one. If you get any other type of check be very wary. And make sure the check clears before shipping the gun. Remember a check deposited to your account will probably have the funds available the next day but the check hasn't cleared until your bank is paid by the bank the check was drawn from. Which can take three weeks or so. Ask someone at your bank to help you with that.

I have done several buys through gunbroker without any problems. They use a feed back system so you can judge the other party a little before doing business with them. They are also very good about kicking out people who aren't honest or legal. Armslist does not have the best reputation for sellers as a few of them have stolen auction pictures from other sites and tried stealing from people. Since you're the seller you just need to make sure you get paid and then don't ship the rifle to someone who shouldn't have it.

So since the deal has been made you just need to '

Get paid for the rifle and shipping.

Get a copy of the FFL to which you will ship the rifle to.

Verify the FFL is legitimate and has the correct address with the ATF on their site.

Ship the rifle by FedEx or UPS to the verified address.

Done deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I do need to make one big correction to my previous posts. You can use the USPS to ship a long gun to an FFL holder. You can't ship a handgun by USPS unless your an FFL holder. You need to talk to your post office about the requirements for packaging and they may want inspect the contents to make sure there is no ammunition. Also not all postal employees may be aware of the rules so you may get turned away anyways.

• 1 month later...

There are no regulations from the ATF that prohibit you from shipping a firearm to an out of state FFL. Some of the FFL's do like to complicate things and require shipment from another FFL. You would need to contact them and find out what they want.

DO NOT USE PAYPAL TO GET PAID FOR A FIREARM. It is a violation of their terms of use policy and they can really foul up the transaction. They will also terminate your account and that of the other party. Use a postal money order.

If this a Gunbroker auction you should have the buyer send you the payment as a postal money order and have them have their FFL send you a copy of their license. The license can be verified online at the ATF's site and you should do so. Then ship by UPS or Fedex to the address on the license. Just for clarity let me repeat- SHIP THE FIREARM ONLY TO THE ADRESS ON THE VERIFED LICENSE. Ship the firearm only after the funds have cleared. Do not try to mail the firearm from the post office.

It is up to the buyer to pay the receiving FFL's fee if any. The buyer should pay you direct for the firearm and the shipping costs.

Exactly what I do for an outstate sale. IN state, I make sure they either have a PTP and I have them sign a bill of sale also under the law stating in that bill of sale if it is a AR or a pistol that they are allowed under law to own a firearm. In a private sale, you are not required to transfer the gun if you choose not too, I would but that is up to the people making the deal. I have made numeros deals online and if you are careful, no issues.