• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whats the best generator for a wheel house.

Big_Dog

I am looking at purchasing a generator for a wheel house. Looking for some advice as to what people like and don't like. I was looking at the Honda 2000 but would like some advice. Thanks in advance.

The Honda eu2000 is probably the most common generator for fish houses. I have had mine for 5 years now and still runs perfect. Haven't had any trouble except shutting down when super cold. Warm it up for 10 minutes and it's ready to go for a long while. They make a cold weather kit to add on that would take care of that.

Honda, but myselfnif i could do it over id spend the extra grand on the 3000 modle but i have a big 20ft with lots of on board stuf. Microwave coffee pot sattilight tv phone flwsher chargers ect. Granted they arnt runni g all at the same time. Bit i like morenis better in some situations.

I've had very good luck with a Honda generator from northern. It's got the 5hp Honda motor and was $500 15 years ago. Twice it melted into the ice until the muffler was in the water, can't count how many times the motor stopped from the low oil sensor. Used it many times to cut plywood on roofing jobs where the homeowner didn't have power.

The only thing that's been fixed on it was a new recoil the original wore out and kept cutting the pull rope, $33.

It's a little tough to start cold though always been so it stays in the fish house until it's warmed up a little than it's just 1 pull. It's fairly loud compared to the small compact ones but it's been a very reliable machine for me.

Oh, before buying it asked one of the guys at my old tool supplier what he thought about it his response, "Those 5hp motors are the throw away motors don't buy it". LOL

+1 Honda EU2000. This will be my 4th season and I have no complaints.

In all fairness, it's the first/only gen I've ever owned, so maybe they're all this good??

If you get anything other than a Honda, all your neighbors will be po'd because of the noise. Honda is probably the quietest and most reliable option out there.

There's a pile of posts on this, and the consensus is Honda or Yamaha, pick your watts. 3,000 (or two 2,000) if you have an air conditioner, 2,000 for general use, and 1,000 if all you are doing is charging batteries. A coffee pot or anything with an electric heating element will tax the 1,000.

If ya get a real loud one then u wont have neighbors. wink

That's why you always set up half a mile+ from me? Always wondered...

It's true, over the years have seen guys on the ice with super loud generators and it seems quite often they have the whole spot to themselves.

A few years ago picked up a 7lb eye on a clear lake in Scott county while the generator was about 25ft from the hole. All the lights were one tv was loud house full of people, 12 fow. Always figured some fish must be deaf...

I went with a Honda 2000 Companion. So that in the summer we can utilize a buddies 2000 and parallel connect them to run the air conditioner. The Companion has the 30 amp outlet. Just a thought.

WG

One thing I have seen done to keep the noise down is to build a "baffle box" which is just a wooden box to hold the generator. There are some specifics I am not clear on. I think you need some kind of ventilation to keep the generator motor cool, as well as some kind of sound insulator on the inside. The ones I've seen have been really quiet.

-Tom

Yamaha has a 2600. As quiet as the Honda 2000 and small enough one person can throw around and it will start a air conditioner.

Thank you everyone for your input it sounds like the Honda or Yamaha is the way to go. One more question for a novice. I don't have the A/C unit so is 2000W enough? All I am really looking to do is either run the gas stove or plug in space heater and maybe charge a flasher or coffee pot if we are out over night. You guys have been great and I really appreciate the advice. Happy Thanksgiving to you all and bring on the safe ice.

Bigdog

If using anything with a heating element a 2000 is as small as you want to go. I run a Honda 2000 for my ice cabin. While charging the battery and running a coffee pot or microwave it runs hard. I would go as big as you can afford.

Matt

I had a 2000 watt McCullough. Just as quiet as a Honda. The only problem was is that we have a microwave and they take a lot of power. It ran it but it took sometimes three times as long as it should to re-heat things. One time my microwave over heated. Enough of that we said and got a Honda 3000 watt. Runs for 20 hours, compared to our McCullough that would run 6-7. No more getting up sometimes in the middle of the night to fill it up. Plus it runs our air conditioner with ease.

get what you can afford, your neighbors should mind their own business they dont own the lake, besides the best fishing i have ever had in my life was when a loud truck was running on the ice 10 feet from the house.

The Honda 3000 is actually rated to be a slight bit quieter than the 2000, though you wouldn't notice it. It is larger, heavier and will use more fuel, but I've had one at our cabin for 10 years and would do it again if this one ever crapped out. If anything, I would step up to the next larger because we run some appliances (water well, septic pump, etc) that call for most everything the 3000 has to offer, so larger comes in handy sometimes. Always better to have a bit more than you need than not enough ...

I guess my tongue in cheek comment about quiet for the neighbors... was misinterpreted. Any generator is your right to buy/use, but if you come in next to my house up close and decide to start a loud genny to run all night you might get some snow balls thrown your way. All I am saying is "Use your head" and if you need more space because your genny is loud then give some room. If you are there 1st then I would move.

I am not thinking I own the lake if I want a quiet evening out fishing.

There's a couple half price quiet options out there.

The $500 Predator 2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator EPA III from Harbor Freight? Says it has 5.5hr run time and a 64Db noise rating 3.5 star out of 5 rating. Lots of Youtube videos of testing running a welder and so forth. It doesn't sound too loud in the video but it's a video.

I see Ryobi has an 2200peak 1800Watt version at Home Depot for $549. Again it has pretty decent reviews too.

Saving $500 buck buys an awful lot of beer. Does anybody have an off brand quiet generator out there?

Ferny

No apology needed DFV, the response you got was sickening. Where the cheapies are getting dB readings like Honda and Yamaha are just plain not true.

I have heard of mixed reviews on the alternatives to honda and yamaha. Some say they are just as good and others had problems. With Hondas you rarely hear of problems (not saying there are not some). That alone with the peace of mind is worth the extra money for me. Last thing I need is to be in the middle of red lake with a broken generator when it is real cold........

No apology needed DFV, the response you got was sickening. Where the cheapies are getting dB readings like Honda and Yamaha are just plain not true.

the part that is sickening is the people here that blast the others who cant afford a $2,000 generator, not everyone can afford it but still want to enjoy being able to fish from a wheel house, turn the radio up a little bit more, the fish dont mind.

I have/do own Honda eu2000, Yamaha ef2000, and a pair of Ryobi RYi2200.

If you want an awesome value, I have nothing bad to say about the Ryobi Ryi2200. I bought two to parallel for the same price as a single Honda or Yamaha. The Ryobi has the same 3/year warranty as the Honda and it is backed by The Home Depot.

The Ryobi is SLIGHTLY louder than the Honda and Yamaha, but not much.

It comes down to $$$ really. Do you want Honda or Yamaha for $1,000 or is Ryobi good enough for you at $500?

Like I said, I own both and can't complain about any of them.

One thing is for certain, grab an extended fuel tank for whatever you get. iPI Industries of of MN makes the best one. I bought mine from GenXDirect.com

I can run my eu2000 all weekend without refueling.

Hope this helps ya!

I have a Yamaha 2000 and a Honeywell 2000 that cost me $400. I had the Honeywell first and that thing is a nightmare to start even when it is warm outside and when it does start is louder than the Yamaha. I took it apart, cleaned the carb, verified fuel pump, primer bulb...etc. One thing with cheaper generators is the spare parts are difficult to come by compared to your name brand generators. Just something to keep in mind. I do like my Yamaha and also like my buddies Honda. Also, to reduce price some of the big stores give really good coupons. When I got my Yamaha I had a $100 off coupon and I told my family for Christmas to get me a gift card to the store I had a coupon for. Therefore, the Yamaha ended up costing me less than $700 out of my pocket after using gift cards and the coupon.