• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2015-2017

I have 2 questions:

1-Does anyone fish Long in the winter for Cats? Had great luck last fall.

2-Do the cats from Horseshoe taste different from the ones out of Long? I like catfish but the ones I kept out of Long in the fall had a weird, almost bleach-like taste. I know that it is technically part of the chain but it doesn't really have any current. My dad grew up eating cats from muddy little creeks in southern Illinois and he had the same experience.

I was wondering the same thing. Looking like some nice cat holes on long and a much shorter walk. I guess the same for KRONS BAY. Looks to have some nice holes also. It thinks its more about the sharp breaks and deep points.

Some folks do fish long. I've tried a couple times and only came up with crappies, but I know others have better luck where I strike out quite often. I can't fish Rick's honey hole to save my life, tried 2-3 times over there and I think I have 4 cats total to show for it smile

As for the taste, the cats from horseshoe don't taste good to me. Others think they taste fine, but I'm not into them.

Long has a good cat population. Krons bay has less cats but the size is much bigger. The average cat I catch back there is 3 pounds, which is double of other places. Cats can also be caught 1/4 mile south of the meth hole where the under water point comes way out.

As far as taste they are all about the same no matter the lake. They will taste better after January. The cold water helps the taste. They are nasty august and september.

Don

Made it out for a few hours this evening. Action was ok, but could have been better. Had a lot more sniffers than biters. Set up in 35ft of water, had fish from 20-35 most of the evening. full-26589-51726-2014_12_0220.54.44.jpg

full-26589-51727-20141202_161034.jpg

full-26589-51729-20141202_180013.jpg

Don't ask about my black eye grin lol... turns out, pipe conduit leaves a nasty mark when it hits a guy in the eye wink

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I want to see them big gills Rick. smile Looks like a nice way to spend an evening.

full-26589-51727-20141202_161034.jpg

Don't ask about my black eye grin lol... turns out, pipe conduit leaves a nasty mark when it hits a guy in the eye wink

Black eye? I didn't notice. To me the interesting fact is just how upside-down that east coast work has made you.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Good to go. I was out panfishing out there today, wheelers driving all over about 10 inches where I was at. The fishing and weather was great today. Fish fry time smile

Weather looks great tomorrow too. You guys have any luck with cats during the day time to afternoon? Or is it usually mornings and evenings? And any tips on choice of bait would be great. How would you guys rig up your chicken liver?

Jr. and a I made it out tonight and essentially crappied the chain. We walked out pretty close to the winter access, fished some new to us water/ice and found a few eyeballs, a few bigger cats, and a decent amount of small chain crappies. Not the best outing by any means, but jr's first time out this year, and fun to see him excited to be on the ice. Did not drill a lot of holes, nor measure, but probably close to a foot where we were at. Suppose we gained a couple inches over the week....last time out. The upcoming weather will not hurt the ice much, but probably won't make much either, and would be careful with anything bigger than a wheeler or sled for awhile.

As far as the liver question....I do not particularly like the stuff, but it has it's merits and keeping it as close to freezing before baiting is the key. As far as the daytime bite question, yes, you can find plenty of action, but usually gonna have to drill.. to do so.....particularly in the big deep basins.

Went out yesterday for the first time cattin through the ice. I was surprised there wasn't more people out there with the nice weather. Maybe i was in the wrong spot. Fishing was ok. Caught 15-20. At first they wanted fatheads, then liver, then minnow heads, and then nothing. I didn't measure the ice, but guess there was about 10". The ice was sure popping after the sun went down.

A big thank you to 621VS and you're buddy for the ride back to the access. They stopped and picked me up as they were driving back(atv with a trailer). That's a long haul dragging 150lbs of gear. Thanks again.

Was out at the meth hole this morning just talk-ing with people and walked over to the meth hole and it is wide open and 2 holes actually. The bubbles were coming out strong and it was not visible from a distance. It is a little farther north than last year. Be careful and stay away from it. I saw some tracks a little to close for comfort.

Don

Today was nothing short of amazing smile started out chasing crappies... the tungsten toad ripped wirh Impulse plastic fooled quite a number of Chain crappies full-26589-51754-2014_12_0619.10.26.jpg

full-26589-51755-20141206_160214.jpg

Catfish were on fire too, average size was pretty good for a change full-26589-51756-20141206_174412.jpg

full-26589-51757-20141206_175034.jpg

full-26589-51758-20141206_161735.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Congrats Rick!! Looks like you laid the smack down on the fish today.

Was out tonight and measured 11 inches. Saw a truck out driving on the ice. Did anyone see any others out this weekend. They have bigger kahoonahs than I do driving on 11 inches

Will be out next week with my 10 year old son. Prob won't be walking a mile to the meth hole from the access. Is long lake producing any cats?

Will be out next week with my 10 year old son. Prob won't be walking a mile to the meth hole from the access. Is long lake producing any cats?

Yes wink

Was out at the meth hole this morning just talk-ing with people and walked over to the meth hole and it is wide open and 2 holes actually. The bubbles were coming out strong and it was not visible from a distance. It is a little farther north than last year. Be careful and stay away from it. I saw some tracks a little to close for comfort.

Don

Don, where abouts is the actual meth hole? Is it over the deepest hole area on the lake?

Dad and I drove up to fish even though the weather wasn't so nice. We decided to fish near the first island out front of the winter access instead of walking all the way to the meth hole area. Dad caught a few dink walleye, I got cold hole hopping in the wind and sleet. Not many fish in the area.

We saw that white pickup drive out, the ice was popping like crazy. Only 8" of ice where we were... I was fixated watching to see if he would go through. Dad said to shut close the door, he didn't want to watch it happen...

Don, where abouts is the actual meth hole? Is it over the deepest hole area on the lake?

It is hard to describe. It is in 50 feet of water. Stay near the drop off from the shallow water and you will be fine.

The ice is not safe to drive on. Has seen one myself. I guess if you are that careless you might deserve what could happen! eek

For anyone reading this, and has the Navionics app on their phone, the general area of the Meth hole is marked. Use extreme caution when in that area.

I'm headed to horseshoe Saturday morning and going to fish through Sunday sometime.

Bait for cats?

Fatheads

Sucker

C liver...

Anyone try shad out there?