• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rope for hauling deer

HandGunner

Is their a difference between tensile strength and just how much weight a rope can hold? Looking at 7/16" rope 250 yards tensile strength of 3,300lb or 3/8" 333 yards tensile strengh of 2,700lb. Would the 3/8 be strong enough to drag 3 deer at once? Would the lengh make a difference? Planning to use our winch to pull up to 3 deer at once up a road about 300 yards to the truck if we do bag any

You must have quite a truck to get into areas that require that kind of tuggin' ability...

3 deer at once?

Here's an idea: drag the deer one at a time. That way you could use cheaper rope.

Here's another thought: you might discover, as many have, that working with small diameter rope is both painful and troublesome. You are much better off working with a line that is thicker, easier on your hands and much easier to untie.

Honda capstan winch 1500lb rating. Parking truck by gate that leads into road which all the way down the valley is near our stands. Deer will be in cart most likley 2 at once connect winch to truck someone feeds rope through winch other guides and follows cart with deer about 300 yards up the road to the parking and camp areas.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I think you'll find out after a lot of frustration and yelling that your only able to do one deer at time and in short pulls.

Short as in less then 150' or less.

Just a few hurdles I see.

Stretch.

Unable to steer.

Hung up constantly.

Communication.

Tangled, wet, dirty, nicked, and, broken rope.

In the past we use to pull 2 deer in the cart we done 2 big bucks at once before. If you youtube the winch it was used to pull a moose yards away they used pulleys for turns and such we would only need about 2 pullys around the turns in the road its possible if it could pull a moose 200 yards or so and it was not even in a cart.

Im trying to figure out if tensile strength ratig will with stand up to 3 deer. Example if it takes 80lb TENSILE STRENGTH to break braided fishing line can you actualy tie a 80lb weight to it and lift it up. If we buy the 333 yard 2,xxx tensile strength poly rope does it actualy lifft up 2,xxxlb of weight? I would think stretch would help in strength its easier to break off 30lb braid on a snag than 20lb mono on a snag

We pulled in the past as in we used muscle 3 of us. Just to make it clear we never used the winch before.

Walkie talkies for communication, my dad use to camp at the bottom of the road when they use to allow vehicles and atv in the woods. That should give an idea what the road may look like. Its been over 10 years the road has grass rocks and fallen trees but a good 4x4 truck can still climb it. Lifted though and some protection under the truck. A few years ago ppl still road atv in the woods illigaly road wat flatter we had 2 deer at the bottom and just not able to do it. Rangers where doing deer checks we had asked them if at all possible we can drive down and grab the deer they allowed us to. Dads chevy made it in 2wd sincce 4x4 was broken although it was a challenge and I knocked my head a few times on the roof.

You are defiantly not hunting in northern MN., if you think you will have to haul 3 deer at one time. Maybe 3 deer for three guys in the next4 years total.

We hunt southern Mn valleys and hills us 3 just cant do it anymore which is why we dropped the money on the winch. All other groups are 8 plus people strong and the land owners have their atv to use us 3 pshhh its time to stop breaking our backs.

So to answer my question does 2,xxx tensile strength actualy can lift 2,xxx pounds of weight? Or does it actualy only able to lift like 500 pounds before breaking?

did the videos help understand our plan better? Lol

Sorry I didn't answer your question. I was thinking Northern Mn or SE MN Valleys full of trees, brush, stumps, and dead falls.

2XXX tensile strength rope will break at 2XXX. That doesn't mean you would lift or put a load close to tensile strength. What your asking what is the working load. For pulling I'd feel OK about 25% of the tensile strength. If you were hanging from this rope then it be 10% of the ropes tensile strength. Remember just like fishing line nicks, knots, are your weakest spots and age factors in there too.

So lets take 25% of 3000 lb = 500 lb. 3 deer in a cart being pulled uphill on a road you'd be OK but snag up on a stump and it stops the cart dead. If the winch is strong enough it'll snap the rope. The guy at the winch will have to be on the ball and let off he sees the load increase.

So to answer my question does 2,xxx tensile strength actualy can lift 2,xxx pounds of weight? Or does it actualy only able to lift like 500 pounds before breaking?

did the videos help understand our plan better? Lol

Just be sure you're not near the recoil area where the rope is going to be coming back at you if it snaps, and if it breaks you're only out a few bucks worth of rope. No harm, no foul. If you were using this rope in a rescue mission, you'd want to be more careful so that you have essentially no chance of breaking, obviously -- but these deer are dead and they're on the ground, so an inadvertent breakage won't kill you, in all likelihood.

Google tells me that tensile strength is best case scenario, and most folks who are hanging on ropes like a 10:1 safety margin as was mentioned. So, 2,xxx would be 2xx if you're hanging on the thing. However, dragging a deer that's already dead, you could get by with maybe a 5:1 safety margin. I'd say get the 3500 rope, or better yet maybe two of the 2xxx lb ropes (since they aren't both necessarily likely to fail at the same time).

The winch can only be fed one rope cant double up. Its rated to be maxed with 1/2" rope and yeap will have to be sure when guiding the deer im on the talkie letting him know to keep going or stop. Sure wish the 7/16 rope came as 300 yards its only 250 yards not for certain how long the road is but it is close to 250 300 yards.

I goggled the winch and rope options for the winch.

3/8th DBP rope at 5600 lbs.

5/16th DBP rope at 4200 lbs.

Cost of coarse was more then the rope your asking about. With the stronger rope you'd have more use for the expensive winch.

I think this would be doable but think 900' in one pull makes it more difficult.

After all you'll have to set up pulleys to do that pull. That means a ladder and time to set up and remove.

I don't see any disadvantage of doing this 100 yards at a time. Instead of pulleys at the bends anchor the winch. A 900' rope is long, I wouldn't want to manage that. 100 yards of rope would be 1/3 the cost too.

Divide the distance and concur.

300 yards of rope?!!! wow, have fun!

But, if this is something you are gonna do, maybe consider some climbing/rescue rope. Most have a rating of 600 lbs but the safety ratio is 15:1. This will far exceed your deer limits. It can take a shock, has a protective sheathing, and is very manageable...but please, film this for us!

If you have to go that route, I would find rope with the least amount of stretch for the strength required. Up until a couple of years ago, the rope pulling was it until one long drag and a couple of beers, we came up with the best idea. One of us had an old Otter fish house. Pulled the poles off and cover and now we are able to put almost the entire deer in sled (no dirty cavity) and one or two people can pull a deer out with out to much effort. May have to lift sled over a few things but easier to lift then dead weight. And once you get to a four wheeler, well what can I say. If any snow/ice on ground its like pulling the house on the ice. After season we put house back together

Why do I keep picturing Red Green while reading this thread?

oFb5s8U.jpg

Is there a reason you don't just drag each deer by hand? Two or three guys on each deer should get the job done.

We been hauling deer by hand one or 2 in the cart 3 man team its not as easy as you think. No smooth roads or close to smooth roads or paths and everything is mostly 45 degree and steeper. We are the only ppl who had been haulin deer by hand we are the only muscle guys the rest are bigger groups and still either landowners have atv use or ppl rather risk the ticket and drive in illigaly at night to recover game some just quit hunting already. Theirs only 2 turns on this road. It will work for sure deffenatley will video it for you guys the only main thin that was the issue was the rope i think we will go with the 7/16 to be safe thanks for the input guys hope we bag and fill our tags 3 guys 3 deer hope you all bag em too!

I think you will find it much easier and probably faster in the long run to skip the cart and just to do one at a time. Snaking one deer around trees and corners will be much easier than 3, especially if any of them have antlers. I can see three deer getting tangled up and snagged in many different ways.